What can I do to beautify this space? What's missing? Thanks in advance
Marilee Lenon
I haven't put much color into the space because I wanted to tie it all in with the rug I purchased. It was just delivered yesterday but I'm not really into it in person as I was online so I'm hoping that whatever else I use to accessorize the space will help me grow to love the rug for my space. Please don't mind the covers I currently have on the sofa. I have a dog so its covered when we don't have company over Thanks
Lina
i would suggested replacing the curtains over the sofa with a brown one along with another bright color and then add the same bright color to the cushions and the throw too
April 16, 2013 at 12:35pm   
Hummingbird Designs
That is a beautiful rug here are some colours suggestions
April 16, 2013 at 12:50pm   
eridani99
I looove that rug. Where did you get it? Rug envy!
April 16, 2013 at 12:54pm   
Marilee Lenon
Thank you for the suggestions @Lina & @Wendy - I actually got some of that pail blue/turquoise color for fabric to cover the pillows so I'm glad to see you suggest these colors
April 16, 2013 at 3:06pm   
Marilee Lenon
@eridani99 - I kept searching for weeks for a rug but everything was so pricey. I saw this rug on lowes.com and fell in love with how it looked online... I was skeptical to buy it coz of it's price tag but I got it for $100 cheaper on overstock.com :-) it's a Safavieh rug, Deco Inspired Grey/ Ivory Rug https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Deco-Inspired-Grey-Ivory-Rug-5-x-8/6565607/product.html?fp=f&CID=212991&token=212991-2129912013041013655936001905968436148237155004-1-f37508
April 16, 2013 at 3:09pm   
eridani99
Thank you! I'm loving overstock for great items for low prices.
April 16, 2013 at 3:22pm   
ambersarris
Have you made a decision on what coffee table to use?
Using glass and other reflective surfaces will ensure you don't block your beautiful rug.
Silver will tie into your sofa legs and other finishes.

[houzz=Vetra Cocktail Table]
[houzz=Criss Coffee Table in Silver Clear]
[houzz=Coffee Tables]
April 29, 2014 at 11:03pm   
Christian Michael
You need a bold color to make the living room pop. but overall nice design. Also I would throw in a Glass coffee table and flowers that complement the color.
April 30, 2014 at 2:24am   
Nancy Walton
I would go for drapes in a print that would complement your neutral colors, yet have a bold color in it, too.
April 30, 2014 at 5:44pm   
B Paton
Marilee, this rug is lovely, but you need a larger size so that all your furniture front legs sit on it. If you are keeping this one, turn it so the long side of the rug is along your couch, not the loveseat. You could consider buying a 2nd matching rug, so that the person sitting on the chair has rug under their feet too. Space them an inch or so apart so it looks intentional, I have seen many photos of this done on Houzz. Let pillows with colour be your friend, plus a graphic printed throw.
May 14, 2014 at 6:35am   
leelee
First can you switch the sofa with the chair? Chair under the window and sofa facing TV. Now try the rug running with the length of the sofa not perpendicular to it. Move the floor lamp next to the chair. It really has no purpose near the TV.

Your rug is probably a little too small but try the new arrangement before you decide. Can you show a picutre?
May 14, 2014 at 6:43am   
melerod12
I have to ask, what color are your tiles? They look like the same color tiles I put in my house & worried about styling to match.
May 14, 2014 at 6:44am   
Ourso Designs
You need some warm tones--try to bring some wood tones in with furniture. Maybe something with a modern shape that is made of wood.
May 14, 2014 at 6:55am   
raieh1228
I assume the kitchen is on the left (across the TV) and dining is on the far left as on pic. I would also suggest changing the curtains just like others are suggesting. One thing that will give a very impressive look and atmosphere will be to put an elegant design wall paper behind the TV wall. This will also give an effect to your kitchen and dining.
May 14, 2014 at 6:57am   
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like your rug. It looks like a giant came in and wiped his muddy feet on your floor. And it is too small for this application. The rug should be wider than your longest sofa so it extends a bit (12-18") on either side of it. Then it needs to be deep enough so that you can slip it under the first 1/3 of your sofa and have leftover rug for the chair to put its front feet on or to sit completely on. Your room is desperate for color and the rug is where to start, so find a colorful one you can fall in love with. I've found the quality of Loew's rugs leaves a lot to be desired unless you are into replacing them every couple of years. You might find a great indoor/outdoor rug - very large ones can be very inexpensive and you can switch out your themes and schemes more often with less of an investment. Here are some to inspire and they're not too shabby!
Family Room
Dallas, TX: Sara & Rocky Garza
Solid Pattern Multi Color Indoor/ Outdoor Rug - CI18, 7.6x9.6
Loloi Rugs LLR-TROPTZ-07NV Tropez Navy-Multi Contemporary Indoor / Outdoor Rug
May 14, 2014 at 7:01am   
SoCal Contractor
Replace the window treatment with drapery in a different color that the wall.
May 14, 2014 at 7:04am   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
You don't have to have a rug that sits under your furniture - you can make it work either way. This rug however should be reoriented so that the long side is parallel with the sofa.
May 14, 2014 at 7:04am   
Nancy Lynch
I like the idea of moving the chair under the window and the sofa where the chair is. The lamp should be by the chair. Try laying the rug at an odd angle, instead of lining it it up with the sofa. Curtains, throw pillows and some accessories with some color is all you need.
May 14, 2014 at 7:11am