Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tricia_marie4321

Need help for my condo dining room/wall space

Tricia Marie
10 years ago
Too much bare wall space! I want to create an inviting dining room with something more creative than a frame or canvas on each wall. Any recommendations? The adjoining living room has black, cream, and taupe furniture with red accents.

Comments (17)

• Darzy
    10 years ago
    I like "oversized" art in small spaces. If you have the patience and inclination...you can make your own pop art with a piece of wood, stencil and some paint. Neutral backdrop, then different paint samples with your color scheme. You can stencil words like your favorite restaurants, street names, nearby parks or where you'd like to vacation. See the photo's art below..but personalize for your area.
    Organic Contemporary with Whimsical Pops · More Info
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    10 years ago
    Tricia, you could have a wall sculpture, a decorative fabric hanging of some sort or a wall rug. I would add, though, that it is not the medium that makes art creative, you can find both creative and mediocre pieces in any medium :) Best of luck decorating!... Raisa
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    My dining room table set is very similar to that one...and I love it. =)

You could go with a large mirror behind your dining set. I could definitely image a large wall sculpture there as well, or a mural.

I like the idea of oversized art on that wall...I know you said you want other ideas, so I am only going to show you one of mine that I could imagine making a statement there. Two colors that I think would look great in your space.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-hubris-of-mankind-3-angelina-vick.html

Another idea would be to make a photo montage there....family photos in decorative frames. It would be more personal, and if you made it only a few selective colors, but different styles of frames...it would be personal and classy.
  • PRO
    Positive Outlook Organizing
    10 years ago
    I like using vinyl to create large scale images on walls for a very small price. It is removable and can be flourished based on seasons.
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    Love the wall sculptures...
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Angelina, they add dimension, don't you think? The Brooklyn Bridge is my favorite.....Bobbi
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    They do add dimension...=) And a textual component that is beautiful, I think it would be a classy edition.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Tricia, you've received a few responses, do you have any thoughts?
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    Another idea is to arrange a series of work along the long wall to tie the spaces together.

I have a medallion series that is great for mixing and matching, I have different colors in this set but I would recommend using a single color, or tan and olive for your arrangement.

Giving you a little visual of what I mean.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Angelina, those are cool! Are they canvas?....Bobbi
  • Tricia Marie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm new to Houzz and so impressed with how great it is already!

Darzy - I really like the oversized art. Fun project idea too.
    Angelina - I love photo montages. I have one in my bedroom, so I didn't want to add another one in the main room. I do like the idea of sculpture art, though.
    Bobby - the molding and trim is exactly what I would love to add! Thank you for all the examples. Do you have much experience with it? I'm guessing it would be best to have it professionally installed. I'm going to look into it.

Thank you!
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    10 years ago
    Thank you Bobbi, they can be ordered on canvas, paper, acrylic and metal. =)

Hi Tricia, cool....=D Ya, I can see why you would not want to add another photo montage. Molding will definitely add some beautiful details.

That is something that I would definitely have done professionally.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Doing the molding can be a DIY project if you have a little experience with a miter saw. If not than definitely hire a pro.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I'd like to see a group of mirrors on one of the walls, probably the recessed wall. They could be a matched set of contemporary mirrors or a collection of garage sale finds. You can have fun collecting them and add to them. Friends will help you and are likely to add some of their own finds.

On the other wall you could have large art, or you could have a forest of decal trees.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    Stylish Responsibility Dining area · More Info

Art Wall Decals Wall Stickers Tree Decal Winter Trees by Nou Wall · More Info
  • lynngorey
    10 years ago
    I love the grass cloth idea to give that space definition then add a mirror. And then the large space could hold shelving with photos as well as a wall sculpture or a large piece of art. Shelving could also hold some interesting meaningful pieces You have so much potential here
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Tricia, the molding can be a DIY if you have a chop saw and a staple gun. Oh, and a tape measure. It's not difficult but it helps to be good at math and detailed oriented. But having someone else do it is always nice :))
Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz