Kitchen cooktop decision and hood mounting
gpalm
April 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am totally remodeling my kitchen and I am confused between an induction cooktop and a regular electric cooktop. I am watching my budget and don't know if the induction is really worth the extra cost?? Is cleaning really much better/easier? Also, I am trying to put in as many upper cabinets as possible and want to know how much space I need on either side of the mounted stainless/glass hood? One designer told me that it needed to "breathe" and should have a lot of space around it. Is this a "look" or function? Also, what about the size? Should the hood be 30" or 36" for a 30" cooktop?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
1angel
I don't understand about the breathing room but, a hood really should be a little bigger than the cooktop; about 6 inches is suggested for proper ventilation. Most of all, get one that is powerful enough to do the job. The more CFMs the better. The hoods that do the best job are vented instead of recirculating.
April 17, 2013 at 7:04AM   
gpalm
Do you know if 400 CFMs is enough?
April 17, 2013 at 7:12AM   
1angel
I've done a little research on my on when building and found a few web sites that offer great information. After you have chosen your range or cook top, you can decide what size to buy depending on the size to CFMs. The higher you go, the more efficient but also look at sones. Go to rangecraft.com and read this information. I think this may help you figure it out. You may look at the sites for the brands you are thinking about also. They can guide you to the one that will do most good for your cooking environment and type of cooktop you buy. Good luck!
April 17, 2013 at 4:17PM   
feeny
When you choose your range it should give a recommended minimum CFM for the hood (or at least many of them do). It depends on the BTU's of the range. I agree with your designer that having a little wiggle room between the hood and the cabinets (maybe a couple inches on each side--see photo below) looks better than having it too cramped or jammed up next to the cabinets, at least with the glass and stainless style hood you are describing. I've seen both 30" and 36" hoods used with 30" ranges, though I've heard that the wider hood is recommended.

April 17, 2013 at 4:24PM