I need flooring and railing ideas for porch, help appreciated!
Sarah K
previously the porch had dura-decking (vinyl) but the seams were ugly. I was thinking outdoor tile, but the cost and failure rate is too high. The porch flooring is all plywood, we were looking at PVC decking, but would have to do too much reconstruct. We have extreme temperature changes here from + 30C to - 35C, porch is north facing, quite protected, but still exposed. We would like black iron railing, and will add moulding to bottom of posts once flooring is on. Help is appreciated!
Rockin' Fine Finish
how about ipe or tiger wood?
April 17, 2013 at 3:25PM   
Sarah K
we looked at Ipe, but we want REALLY low maintenance, we have lots of cedar in the back to take care of. as well, the existing deck is designed for a waterproof surface, there is already the plywood surface and we reconstructed the stairs to accomodate a rubber, tile or other surface. It is a wonderful suggestion, but to replace with a wood slat deck of any kind means alot of waste and reconstruction.
April 17, 2013 at 8:59PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
I hear you if the sub floor Is solid ply where would water drain rubber will need drainage I think tile might be the only option
April 17, 2013 at 9:06PM   
Ironwood Builders
A slate tile will look great. I recommend the following layers to prepare for tile. First, make sure the floor slopes to the outside. Second, put a layer of Grace's Ice and Water Shield over the entire sub-floor. Third, lay down Schlutter Troba weep fabric and then a mortar bed, followed by Schlutter Ditra isolation membrane (so that was 3, 4 and 5 really) and sixth, set tile in latex modified thinset mortar. Seventh, finish with an epoxy grout.
April 17, 2013 at 9:53PM   
Sarah K
We are now looking at Rubaroc. It is a rubber granule surface. Lots of pool surrounds and commercial applications. They will seal the plywood with a tar, then prime with a special primer then trowel on the rubaroc. stair edges are finished with metal stripping. it comes with 10 year warranty and no maintenance. Floors are important, but not the focus point. Our floor does not get alot of traffic, but exposed to so much in temperature changes. I did look into slate etc, but honestly I worry about the additional weight, and the process is so involved. I would cry if the tiles failed and heaved, and cracked.
April 21, 2013 at 2:30PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
Deck coating didn't mention that finish because its not usually used in residential applications
April 21, 2013 at 2:48PM   
Christine
Stamped concrete. I believe they can now just lay the design right over what you have so you can get the look of slate without the cost. Then paint the wood facing on the steps white or another color. You could also just lay down assorted outdoor rugs and pretty the space up with other chairs similar to the wicker and large pillows or a glider. Put out cute little items like a chessboard or staging cabinet for things like cards or chinese checkers and then put some ornamental iron on the wall a nice copper figure or artwork. I would move the Adirondack chairs on to a lawn because they look does not help the stately entry way you have. Then put up the iron railing. Also that's a hella large evergreen. Maybe you can get it groomed up or (dare I say it) remove it to open up the front of the home. If you have some $$ put in some recessed lighting to wash the sides of the front door and widely spaced throughout the porch. If you keep them on a timer and dim it would be a nice place to read when it is warm and it would "announce" the front door more. The ceilng seems low but if it's not then you can even consider hanging lanterns. Move that bench (it fights your front door) and put in a long simple lined teak bench or leave the area empty save for doorway pottery. Good luck.
April 21, 2013 at 2:53PM   
Sarah K
Hello All;

Thanks for the great ideas. I had not thought of stamped concrete...I will look into that, however as I said I am a bit concerned regarding the footings the porch is on and the weight it will hold (they do not appear to be concrete footings). I have moved the wicker settee, it will go on the back deck, moved the deck box/bench. I did put in accent lighting that bathes the ceiling at night, and put in new simple black up/down cast light to highlight the entryway (I cant stand walking up to a house and being blinded by the glare of an exposed lightbulb). Unfortunately we cannot raise the porch ceiling as it is tied into the entire roof structure - a change not in the budget. And given the ceiling treatment we did do last fall cost 2k. Thanks for the feedback!
April 22, 2013 at 5:44PM   
need help with design ideas for front porch railing
I need help with design ideas for front porch railings....
Need help with flooring ideas for outdoor screened in porch
What materials should I use for outdoor porch in 1970's...
I have a 1970's brick house in an older established...
Hey guys I need help with sidin and porch ideas
I have been working on an old farm house for about...
wood floors
Looking for engineered hardwood floors that is real...
Need help choosing my kitchen countertop
My floor will be this light beige porcelain tile that...
Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong
Hello All - Today I finally had the courage to get...
Do I keep or replace these bar stools?
Going a bit more rustic in my design. Not sure that...