I need help for my living room. I'd like a contemporary decor and a little bit modern.
rachel35
This is my living room.
0825sam
Are you planning to change the entertainment center?
I would get a contemporary ceiling fan. There are some really cool options out there now. I love this one:

(I can't tell from the photo what yours really looks like though).
April 17, 2013 at 8:15AM     
iloveittwo
The tv unit isn't contemporary or modern so I would start there. I love the table though. I tend to stay away from bulky leather pieces it isn't contemporary to me. That's my struggle bc the bulkier pieces are more comfortable and have more depth for lounging. You can work with the sofa though.
April 17, 2013 at 8:16AM     
mmilos
Are you planning to keep the current furniture? If so, this is what I would do:

You have traditional, classic furniture which looks good...especially since you have a more traditional fireplace.
I would start with an area rug that grounds the sectional and introduces a color or pattern that also ties in your red brown sofa and entertainment center. Spice it up with contemporary abstract art and modern shaped lamps - but in more traditional materials like antique brass, bronze or glazed ceramics.
April 17, 2013 at 8:18AM     
0825sam
I would also search houzz living rooms for brown leather sectional and narrow by contemporary for some ideas. http://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary/living/brown-leather-sectional-
April 17, 2013 at 8:24AM     
I think you have to go with the flow, since the FP is traditional and so is your sofa. I'd want to get rid of the massive TV center, perhaps with a built-in on one of the walls flanking the FP. Here is a sample idea.

April 17, 2013 at 8:25AM     
iloveittwo
You can also think about putting some tiling on the fireplace but I would make the rounded area square. That just my thinking. Great space
April 17, 2013 at 8:27AM   
calikym
I don't really mind the TV cabinet. I think it just looks out of place because nothing else is in that room yet. It does match the style of everything in the room.
April 17, 2013 at 8:28AM     
Spaces Designed, Interior Design Studio, LLC
This is a nice big room. Have you considered painting the TV cabinet white? That will tie it more to the white fireplace casing and give it a little more of a transitional (though not contemporary) look. Then a contemporary style area rug to define the living room space would be nice along with two poufs or ottomans placed at the open end of the space. You could also hang the painting horizontally over the sofa against the wall and place some other decorating accessories on the mantle that tie in with the colors of the painting. Hope that gives you some ideas! http://shop.spacesdesigned.com/SUR-LMN3004 http://shop.spacesdesigned.com/SUR-POUF-31 http://shop.spacesdesigned.com/STA-7-10003
April 17, 2013 at 8:57AM     
Malcolm Duffin Design
Hi
Your furniture & fittings are a little disproportional and I would suggest a wide striped wallpaper hung horizontally in neutral tones,this will reduce the ceiling soaring away from you. Don't worry about the fireplace but fully mirror above it and then hang a smaller picture on the mirror. replace the furniture with more modular modern pieces along with adding some occasional chairs.This should expand your seating groups too. Add some big lamps/glass or ceramic rug and low tables. Keep everything neutral and add cushions(pillows for USA) in hot on trend color and graphic patterns. Neutral curtains on simple poles no pattern.
April 17, 2013 at 9:09AM     
KShoa
You'll need some additional small pieces of furniture and accent pieces. I would definitely add a rug in there to bring the space together. You can also add colorful pillows if that's your taste.

Those big walls are screaming for art. I'm an artist and offer hundreds of configurations of original and canvas prints, some very large that would fit your walls. Check them out here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Good luck! Lots of potential in that room.
April 17, 2013 at 9:13AM     
Malcolm Duffin Design
Here is a quick sketch to expand on my comments - hope you like?!
April 17, 2013 at 9:30AM     
rachel35
Thank you guys. I appreciated all the ideas!!!
April 17, 2013 at 1:33PM     
Vintage By Dounia
April 24, 2013 at 6:44PM   
anne dee

If you are considering a modern decor the TV would would look nice designed as in the inspiration pic.
April 24, 2013 at 6:52PM   
gge
you need a rug
February 10, 2014 at 10:40AM     
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Help to decide an open concept connecting kitchen and living room
I am renovating and need to begin with a design to...
Lets start working on the guest room
While I wait on items to arrive for the other rooms,...
I need advice on what to put in my kitchen where the washer and dryer
I did a small remodel in my kitchen and I'm left with...
Help needed with room wall space.
We purchased a new townhouse a few months back. Now...