Purpose for Space under stairs....
gardenpro
Hello All
We have this open space, like a cubby hole. It is under the stairs, about 4' wide and 4' deep and we don't know what to use it for. It is located in the family/tv room where we spend most of our time. To the left of it are stairs going up and to the right an intersecting wall and then a door to the laundry room. It would be perfect for all the electronics but the TV is on the other side of the door and running wires would be a problem. A wine bar? We don't drink enough to justify. Storage is all I can up with and that means adding a door of some sort. Thanks for any creative help.
Al
Oellien Design, Inc.
Hello and good day. Very different for sure. You might conside a niche for art/sculpture with a recessed can/light to highlight the items. Finish off the back and installed a couple of adjustable shelves for books or objects. Last and final you could just have the guys come back and gyp over it and say bye-bye. Tanks
2 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 8:52AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Is it access to any thing under the stairs ? Most times they make it a small closet but obviously it's to small for that you can get it Sheetrock like already recommended
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 8:54AM
gardenpro
Thanks. I had not thought of adj shelves for books etc.., that might work. Will think on it...
1 Like   April 17, 2013 at 8:57AM
gardenpro
Rockin, you can't access anything from the space, at least not without making a hole. Thanks, Al
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 8:58AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Ok cover it I wonder why it was left
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 9:02AM
gardenpro
We actually created it when we hung our drywall. We knew there was space there and now we don't know what to do with it. I'm thinking of buying a framed print and attaching it at one end like a door and just use it as storage. A mini-bar is tempting - need to have the family drinkers over for that! ThnKS AL
1 Like   April 17, 2013 at 9:26AM
momof5x
You could turn it into a safe and disguise with some art work.
3 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 9:50AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Concealed storage is a great idea.
1 Like   April 17, 2013 at 9:51AM
gardenpro
The safe idea is a blast ! Will check home for valuables to see if we have anything :) But very creative. AL
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 9:53AM
Brenda
you can store all of your tv components there if you get an RF remote ... all you need is an outlet.
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 9:57AM
Genevieve
you could follow he slope design and install a couple glass shelves to display items , if you don't like it open have a cabinet maker make you a glass door for it ,every space used is not lost .
or have a light

this sort of idea only smaller
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=under+the+stair+small+storage+cabinet&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=F962C2E3251FBFC831A41DF554DC58946BE23140&selectedIndex=507
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 10:04AM
gardenpro
There is an outlet on the wall below the space, just out of sight in the pic. Our TV is on a book case about 6-8' away and if there was a way for the TV to work wirelessly with the components; receiver, speakers etc.., I do it.
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 10:05AM
Brenda
there is a way .... it is called an RF remote. Our TV is mounted over our fireplace with a "sound bar". The components are stored in a cabinet in another room. You do not have to "point" the remote at the components for them to work. It's a bit of a pain in the butt to load in a DVD -- and the remote takes QUITE a bit of effort to set up -- but it works great. You can add anything to this remote that runs on a remote.
2 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 10:25AM
gardenpro
Thanks Genevieve & Brenda, I'll look into those. Al
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 10:30AM
Need help with under stairs space
I'd like to use the space under the stairs but dont...
What can I do with the space under the stair?
Dear All, Last time I got here several good ideas...
Need help with space under the stairs
I have a stairway like in the attached plan. Each side...
Awkward Space Solver: Under the Stairs
So everyone with an "upstairs" in their house knows...
Help with under-stair space challenge!
I don't have a picture of the problem area but here's...
Paint colors for a Kansas City Shirtwaist
Hello, My 1902 Kansas City Shirtwaist (a local variation...
What color to do the pillar?
We just had all of our landscaping done and they changed...
Stripping test patch of paint off of unfinished pine
I tried a light color in one of the rooms in a new...
Update Stucco, Trim, Front Door and New Garage Door
We have lived in this home for 25 years. I would like...