Hardwoods!!!!!

natalierus15April 17, 2013
First of all, what kind of floor will hold up best? I have a lab and I'm concerned that if I get oak hardwood floors that she'll destroy them! Second, will a darker wood floor look ok if I have lighter trim throughout my house? I'm opening up my kitchen and dining room and putting hardwoods in both rooms. Ill be painting the dining room to match the kitchen. The paneling will be cream colored. (The floors you see in the kitchen are lighter than the color I want.)
natalierus15
Another view!
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:04AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Hello and good day. Have you thought about using a strand cut bamboo for your floors. It is a very furable flooring and if you select a medium stain color, nothing too light or dark you won't see any dog issues. I like bamboo because it renewable and because it is a tough floor. Best of luck.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:06AM
natalierus15
Thanks so much!! I'll look into to that type of flooring! I appreciate it!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:18AM
dreedinteriordesign
Oak is fine as far as durability is concerned. It is hard, has surface grain to disguise scratches, and can be refinished several times if you purchase 3/4" thick solid material. You can look at something even harder than oak if you'd like - hickory, for example, is the hardest domestic wood species. It can stand up to enormous amounts of abuse, and again it can be refinished if you purchase 3/4" thick material.

I would avoid bamboo based solely on the fact that you cannot really "refinish" it. When you sand bamboo, it shreds. This is because bamboo flooring is made with many pieces of bamboo laminated together. People also worry about the "greenness" of bamboo for this reason - the adhesives and chemicals used in the lamination process are often anything BUT green!
10 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:30AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
I could not disagree more.......about bamboo flooring. I like the fact that it is renewable (quick growing) makes it a green product.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:35AM
calikym
Don't use wood if you have dogs. OMG they WILL scratch it up BIG time.
6 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:37AM
Hi Oellien - there have been a number of debates on this subject and the verdict is still open as far as I can gather. While bamboo forests are definitely renewable - the glues used to create them are quite noxious and even now regulation hasn't come into regular play.... (a search on the discussion dilemmas will yield some interesting links).

I love bamboo - and I champion it - but with a bit more caution on the green side!!! (Just some background if you're interested)
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:38AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
@ ASVInterior,,,,,,,thank you and I hear the debates. I'm not talking LEED Certified.,,,,but again,,,thank you.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:43AM
shelleyuk
Bamboo is a grass not a wood and it isn't particularly tough, compared to most hardwoods especially if you want a dark colour. Dark bamboo has been heated and it softens during the darkening/heating process and so will dent etc more easily than for example stained oak. Plus you can't refinish it and so once its damaged...
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:44AM
shelleyuk
Lots of reports also coming out about natural forest being cleared in china to make way for bamboo to be planted so again take the green credentials with a pinch of salt.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:45AM
tcufrog
Are you considering tile? I had hardwood in our previous house and there was buckling and stains from when the fridge leaked while the homeowners were at work. They were in such bad shape that they needed to be replaced. Our current home has multicolored slate tile. The previous owners had the home for 12 years and had a dog. You can't see any dog marks and when our dishwasher overflowed there wasn't any damage to the floors.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:49AM
mingus1
Check out Teragren brand bamboo floors (from Germany), get low luster (hides shedding cat hair..) and go for a 'high traffic' commercial grade if you are really worried.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 12:13PM
ourmoneypit
definitely no bamboo....we installed in two rental homes and they scratched and dented very easily within the first few months. never again. porcelain tile has been the best for kitchens in our experience.
6 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:53PM
natalierus15
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions everyone!! :)
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 5:08PM
MKandcompany Interior Design & Decoration
You need to check out the new wood floors that are being used today - they no longer are using a poly finish on them - but are now using an oil finish - the way floors used to be done. They hide everything and my standard poodle and golden doodle have not hurt them in anyway. Plus, when it's time to re-finish, all you do is use another coat of oil - no sanding needed and you can even get the kind of oil that is safe for humans and pets.
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 5:16PM
Steve Grimes
The toughest wood floors are acrylic-embedded flooring sold for commercial use. My bulldog has severely scratched my white oak bruce flooring and I think that large dogs would scratch with even more force.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 6:14PM
Roxanne
look into using a dremel on your dog's nails. When you trim nails regularly the quick recedes, allowing you to trim them shorter the next time. Eventually you will need to trim about every 2 weeks. You can have wood floors and dogs. I'm putting in oak floors and have 2 goldens. Tile was not an option--it is very hard on your feet and your back-something to consider. Something like marmoleum is attractive and forgiving.It isn't such a great option though if you are integrating other living areas. People have had hardwood floors for hundreds of years--and dogs, as well. Just my 2 cents. Oh- put water sensors behind your refrigerator and dishwasher/ sink. Make sure your plumbing is up to date. It is worth the expense!
7 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 6:41PM
Dee Gould
Bamboo flooring can be a nitemare! Had to replace bamboo kitchen floor even before moving into new home..marks from appliance being moved in..and the tradesman were carefull..paid a fortune for those floors...final workthru realitor was wearing heels left dents in floor, with that moved on to handscraped wood...i can not beleive bamboo would have held up to to 110lb GSD & pit/lab...experience is a powerful thing...just my opinionn....
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 2:26AM
tracie_erin
Cream trim with dark hardwoods is a beautiful combination. I have really dark handscraped & distressed oak floors and two black labs, and they hold up fantastically to the dogs. It's not that there aren't scratches, it's that they blend in with the distressing of the floor and you don't notice them at all - with a traditional smooth floor that would be a different story. My floors also disguise dust somewhat; I've heard that that is a big problem with dark floors + natural light that leads to everyday vacuuming, but no problems here.

There are only 2 things that would give me pause on the dark hardwoods:
1) Make sure your home has a lot of natural light. If not, the dark floors will suck out the existing light and make it feel gloomy. I have this problem and am repainting my walls from flat to eggshell to help alleviate it.
2) If your dog's fur does not match and she is a big shedder. For example, if your lab is yellow and sheds tons year-round (which labs generally don't) then I would match the floor color to her fur. But medium and pale floors are beautiful too! (Hint: if your lab IS shedding tons year round, switch her food to something better. dogfoodadvisor.com rates foods and explains why
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 7:20AM
Roxanne
Ha! I'm going with light floors in a satin finish. My goldens are blond and red and that blond has a glamor coat ! I'm matching the floors to the dogs, too!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 7:43AM
Ed
Roxanne, what kind of floor did you decide on ?
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:43AM
samsonb64
I also have a dog and I decided to remove all my hardwood floors and replace it with Armstrong Laminate floor, the Grand Illusion serie. They are so nice, my visitors do not believe me when I tell them that they are liminated. The colour that I choose is Walnut. Did the full house and it does not scratch at all. I am buiding a brand new house and I am putting the same thing.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 10:01AM
Margaret Phillips
Just throwing out tile planks, that look like wood. We know it will wear like iron.
Magique Bocote Wood Plank Porcelain Tile · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 10:08AM
Kimberly Kennedy
Agree with Phillips! Wood-look tile is the answer!! We have a Golden that tares through the house and ruined our hardwood. Replaced with great looking tile and we have durability and keep the integrity of our craftsman-style home.
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 11:54AM
Roxanne
@Ed -I put in red oak. Am a little horrified by these stories. Kimberly, did you keep up with the nails? A lot of my friends have hardwoods and sporting dogs and have never have complained about scratching. Oh well, a little late now.,,,,, But I'm keeping up with dremeling the nails so that they are short enough that the girls use the pads of their feet.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 12:07PM
cocoanlace
With several cats (I do NOT declaw) I get a few scratches when a cat runs, slides and does a 360 trying to avoid hitting a wall. But I have put the worst dents/scatches in my oak floors myself by scooting furniture (yes I have glides but a broken piece of china was under it) or dropping a stupid hammer. Smartly, I installed cabin grade engineered wood flooring which has lots of saw burn marks and other characteristics. I think it's an interesting finish and was exactly what I was going for. IMPURRFECTION. As a pet owner, I would never opt for that flawless, all one color wood. Gosh, I'd be able to see a ding from several feet away. Instead, when a cat accidentally gouges the floor, I rate it: "Good one!" as I inspect the new flaw. One of these days, I will wake up and my floors will look like the reclaimed planks from an old farmhouse that I could not afford. :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 12:43PM
Roxanne
I am going to also try a product called "soft paws" available through Doctor's Foster and Smith (online) The reviews are pretty good and since they'll be having their mani/pedi done monthly, the groomer can put them on.
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 4:02PM
cocoanlace
Roxanne: Soft Paws is available at stores like Petsmart and PetCo. No need to order on line unless they have a better deal. I have never used Soft Paws, but I clip my cats' nails weekly and if they are ragged, I use my emeryboard file.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 4:23PM
Kathie Goldsmith
I have bamboo floors with dogs. Bamboo is way to soft, you can take your own fingernail and gouge them. I am looking towards new hardwood floors, thinking oak which appears to be quite durable or a hand scraped. I have had my bamboo floors refinished twice in 5 years. Hate them, they never look really good.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 8:51PM
Joan Huhn
Hard maple
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 6:06AM
bmwrpm
have you looked at porcelain tiles that resemble timber flooring. easy clean and come in several finishes and colours. might be worth looking into, i have them in my kitchen.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 8:07AM
Kathie Goldsmith
My problem is I live in a cold climate and I am afraid of a tile being cold to walk on.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 8:39AM
dukfinder
We've got 5 labs. Active. I went with a wood laminate after seeing the floors that many of our local Safeway grocery stores put in their produce departments. It looked great and I figured if it could stand up to store traffic and cleaning, it should be able to handle us. I have been very pleased with the product, looks and upkeep. I also have an original area in the house with original hardwood flooring. Yes, it can be refinished, but what a pain and expense! Worst part about the flooring is I find it hard on the older dogs as far as traction, so still have to use a lot of area rugs.....
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 9:07AM
Oak & Broad
White Oak flooring with proper polyurethane finish will hold up under dog paws. If they are damaging the floor its because their nails need to be trimmed. We have several clients with large dogs that make a very concerted effort to keep nails trimmed and have no issues.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 9:27AM
Woodworks Refinishing
If you already have hardwood floors, there is no sense in ripping them out and replacing them with low-quality laminate flooring. As long as your floors are a hard wood (oak, maple, cherry) and not a soft wood (pine) then you should have no problem with pets. The trick is to finish them correctly. I recommend several coats of a water-based finish, as water-based finishes are tougher and dry faster than oil-based finishes. The best thing about hardwood is if you get tired of the colour, you can always sand and re-stain them. Not to mention, scratches and stains can always be sanded and buffed out of hardwood floors -- not so with laminate.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 9:29AM
Roxanne
Great News for me!

The red oak is laid and the plan is to finish with 3 coats of water base. We'll keep up with their nails. I'll keep an eye out for trouble spots and then have them buffed and recoated. I think the laminate-real wood debate is futile. There are some lovely imitators and engineered woods but it depends on your application, values and aesthetic. Some people really want marble or soapstone and will put in the effort- that wasn't for me, so I'm going with a granite island and quartz perimeter counters. But I love the timeless look of an oak floor.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 11:08AM
junkcars49
I have raised four kids, have 10 dogs and 15 cats, on 3/4 inch oak floor that has lasted 45 years. We just more finish it every 5 to 10 years. The more dents stains and scratches just adds to the character of it.
9 Likes    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 3:21PM
Oak & Broad
Preach on! Wood floors will last 100 years if cared for.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 3:23PM
kathydmorgan
I had light colored laminate in a business I was owned. It scratched and there were no dogs. In our home have a dark stained birch and it is six years old. Within the first year of owning it, we started to notice scratches from our Bichon. He passed away last year so we recently had 3 quotes for re-finishing it. Two gave us a quote (expensive) and the third felt we will not be happy with the outcome (although he would do the job) as refinishing the type of hardwood we have can leave us with other issues. Also the third fellow said our floor was still in great condition and said he refinishes floors that are "trashed".

We have two friends that have oak floors, they do not show scratches anywhere near the birch. I understand Oak is one of the best for refinishing if you need to.

Lastly, dark stains look rich and beautiful. I just think they show the dust easily.

Sorry, one more thing -- I have seen Bamboo in someone's home. I thought it was plastic (yuck).
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 6:36AM
Count me as another devotee of hardwood floors. Ours are 90 years old, white oak, and have survived multiple families with dogs (we have two rambunctious aussies) and kids. Medium-toned stains will show dirt, dust, and scratches less.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 6:40AM
alissadolan
No matter what kind of wood floor you have, your dog will scratch it up. You might have to go laminent flooring, I have oak floors and I have a golden retriever and my floors are so scratched up its ridiculous. Don't go wood.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 6:51AM
Most scratches on hardwood flooring are to the finish not the wood. Satin matte finishes show scratches less, and some people prefer using an oil finish rather than polyurethane to attend to scratches more directly. So consider the finish as much as the flooring in making your decision.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:27AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
First, NOT all bamboo floors are alike! There are so many poor quality & grades of bamboo flooring in today’s market that it is really giving the good bamboo floors a bad name. Be careful, you will always get what you pay for.

My professional opinion, I would not recommend laminate flooring, it can scratch easily and doesn’t repair well. Laminate floors are very loud to walk on and can be more expensive than some other flooring, with shorter warranties and many are not warranted to go in wet areas, like kitchen and baths.

Here are some hardwood floors or hardwood looks options that I would recommend to use with pets:

1. STRANDED BAMBOO- One of the hardest wood floors on the market is Stranded Bamboo flooring. This newer manufacturing techniques including strand woven bamboo flooring range from 3000 to over 5000 (depending on the brand) using the Janka hardness test, where Red Oak is only 1,290. My favorite is from Higuera Hardwoods, they carry an engineered wide-plank strand woven bamboo planks are prefinished with seven coats of aluminum oxide ultra violet cured urethane for a scratch resistant finish. It takes a lot of effort to scratch it and if it does the color goes all the way through and will not so up as much (you can always use a touch up stain pen). The carbonized caramel color seems to go with almost any decor. Some brands up to 30 to 40 year warranties.

Here is a link and a photo (#1) of one of my kitchen projects where we have installed the Stranded Bamboo flooring. http://www.higuerahardwoods.com/subproduct-strand-woven-carbonized-caribbean-engineered-wide-plank-bamboo-flooring-click-system-fsc-approved

2. HANDCRAFTED OR HAND-SCRAPED LOOKING HARDWOOD FLOOR- These types of floors already look old and used. Each plank has been individually worked on by master craftsmen using hand scrapers, hand planes, and chisels creating a distress look. So if you get a scratch you can’t tell. With dark stained hardwood floor the color doesn’t go all the way through so purchase a touch up stain pen from your local paint store to blend in any scratches. Some brands carry a Residential Limited Lifetime Warranty.

This type of floor will also go with any décor, from a log cabin rustic look to traditional, or even modern to contemporary interiors.

Here is a link and a photo (#2) of one of my kitchen projects where we have installed the Hallmark Hardwood Flooring. http://www.hallmarkhardwoods.com/chaparral.php

3. LUXURY VINYL TILES AND PLANKS- Karndean International Flooring carries many wood plank looks that look so realistic. When I’m designing one of my commercial projects; like a retail store, restaurant or any high traffic area, this is what I will typically specify. This type of flooring can have up to 20 year residential warranty and be less expensive to install than laminate flooring. It is recommended to go into veterinarian clinics. Many wood planks and tile/ stone looks are available.

http://www.karndean.com/en/floors/wood-flooring/mid-wood-tones.aspx?link=mm
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:29AM
lydiacarroll
I have dogs and I always get wood-like surfaces. Once they destroyed the gorgeous wood floors in a previous home just by running around, I learned that sadly, unless you welcome a surface that gets scratched and destressed over time, you should get laminate or tile that looks like wood. I used to be a "genuine-only" snob but
I got over it and now have laminate. I have very dark floors and they look gorgeous with my lighter walls, rugs and furnishings. Most people can't tell it's laminate.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:55AM
Oak & Broad
We have a client with solid black walnut floors and two Great Danes that are over 150lbs each. They keep their dogs nails trimmed and have no problems. It comes down to careful paw maintenance .
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 10:06AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
I agree Eutree Wide Plank Flooring! There is also touch up wood stain pens you can buy to hide any scratches.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 10:34AM
Lou Thompson
We have large lab, and two small children and spent ages deciding. We have got karndean oak tiles - has proved so far virtually bomb proof (including one foul water flood from dish washer, and one small boy spreading two litres of bubble mix with mud undetected!). Most people think it is wood - I think you can clearly tell the difference - and if we didn't have dog would have gone with real wood. Just another idea!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 10:54AM
kicksychick
Wood floors scratch over time, with or without dogs. That's life, so just go ahead with the hardwood. Darker stains on woods that are naturally lighter in colour will make scratches more apparent. This is because the stain only sits on the very top layers of the wood. When it is scratched, the original light colour of the wood shows through. Another thing to consider is the finish. A matte finish will make scratches less apparent than something with a bit of sheen.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:48AM
carolsuec
Alas, we found that our 85-year-old oak wood floors (we were told by one refinisher that they were yellow pine; another said oak) and our yellow lab were not compatible! He scratched them in a way that didn't look like normal wear and tear. We have relocated and built a new house in the south with wonderful, large, porcelain tile floors and the only way he can bother them is with occasional water droplets since he's not the neatest drinker. I like your other commenters' ideas about a tile that looks like wood, too! Good luck....
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:15PM
annamal16
Here is my opinion...wood is beautiful and scratches just add character and are a piece of the history of what goes on in the house throughout its lifetime. Just keep treating it and scratches will blend in. When I walk into someone's house and see scratches, I don't think anything other than, "oh, what's the story?"
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:28PM
joyce_6333
We have hickory floors with Swedish Glitsa matte finish, and it has held up extremely well. Here's a link to the hardness rating of wood floors. As previously said, Hickory is about the strongest wood commonly used for wood floors. Keep in mind that shiny wood floors will show any scratch or dings a lot more than matte finish. http://tinytimbers.com/pdf/chart_janka.pdf

I wanted to mention that we have Armstrong Alterna vinyl tile in our utility room. This stuff is awesome. My daughter, (with 5 kids and a dog), has this in her laundry room and baths. After 8 yrs in their house, it looks as good as new. That's why we chose this for our utility room. Seems indestructible. http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/luxury-vinyl/alterna/floors-11439.asp
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:28PM
deepistol
Things to consider:
Don't go high gloss. Too unforgiving.
Don't go too dark. Shows every dog hair and dust bunny.
The idea of tile that looks like hardwood is nice because you get the "idea" of wood which seems so much "warmer" to look at (though not underfoot if you live in a cold climate). But it will be harder underfoot and for the sake of your back, you may need to wear slippers if standing alot in the kitchen.
There are some great laminates out there that look just like hardwood but are more durable. But, there is something to be said from a realty perspective of having "real" hardwood floors. No one attributes the word "character" with laminite.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:54PM
deepistol
Pic above is of oak floor, honey coloured originally, re-stained to a medium brown. (looks darker in this pic though). I clean houses for a living so I am all about low maintenance in regard to not showing dirt. This medium brown is actually quite good. I would not have gone any darker.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:57PM
tcufrog
As for those people complaining about tile, I wear comfy slippers and shoes that live indoors and I'm quite happy. Also, not all scratches and scrapes add character. I love the look of old hardwood and its imperfections. The damage done to the floors of our old house was just ugly and couldn't be sanded down.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 4:05PM
carolsuec
I'm with tcufrog! Perhaps our wood floors were just too old. In the areas where the dog spent little time, I loved them. But no amount of sanding, staining and love for character could make ours work any more.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 4:23PM
Marilyn Maya Mendoza
I live in Hawaii and I recently danced on a sprung mango wood floor. Gorgeous but the owner asks everyone to dance barefoot. That's my feeling about wood. It gets damaged by water, humidity and scratches. I have ceramic tile in my house for 20 years. It needs a bit of repair, those old grouts but I don't think I would put wood in my house unless it was engineered like Pergo. I know this is not a popular idea if you are going to sell, but for me in my small forever house , I am putting it in on old vinyl and just repairing the ceramic. Aloha
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:06AM
Lynn
I have Brazilian Cherry (I'll call it BC here; not a cherrywood, just a reference to the colour). I am a complete newbie when it comes to hardwood, so had to research the topic to figure things out. I saw the BC in stores and was awed by its beauty. I have grandkids and outdoor dogs and live in a rural community. I also wanted the hardwood throughout my lower level which included the kitchen which comes right off of the front door (old house, kind of a weird layout). I found out about the Janka Hardness Scale and found that BC is a very hard durable wood, so I went for it. I've had it a year now and it's holding up incredibly well to abuse. Its hardwood, so of course it gets marked no matter what. My dogs are outdoor dogs who come inside in severe weather. They're not used to floors so they slip & slide everywhere. People entering my house (most remove shoes, but not all) have bits of gravel on their shoes and grandkids are grandkids - wild and wonderful! Bottom line: the wood is gorgeous, dark with varying degrees of the same colours. Cleaning? Actually easier in my opinion that the vinyl that was there before. The wood does show dust and dirt easily, but a daily sweep with a micro-fibre sweeper and a damp mop with one of those flat-bottom mops is very quick and very easy. Hope this is helpful!
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:07AM
kyle241
Woven bamboo is very tough to scratch and if you keep your dogs nails trimmed, you won't have an issue. There are also some other exotic wood species that are very hard as well such as Ipe, Cumaru, Janka, Brazilian Cherry, etc. however then one must question how these were harvested. We went with the bamboo and we had 5 dogs, two over 70lbs and overall it has done very nicely.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:09AM
robbins18
I just put new hardwood floors in our condo and we have a very high-energy beagle with nails. We used Mirage, a gray weathered looking engineered oak. Not only doesn't it show any scratches, you can hardly see the dog hair!!! We had it laid on a diagonal and it looks sensational.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 1:39PM
kellybarron
I'd suggest either laminate flooring or cork. I think my laminate floor is from Wilsonart, it looks so much like wood that people have doubted me when I tell them it isn't wood! I have a large dog and the floor still looks perfect after 7 years. I also have a cork floor and it's pretty forgiving, but if he was on it all the time it might start to show claw scratches.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:54AM
Marilyn Maya Mendoza
Kelly, is Wisonart supposed to be better than Pergo? I'm putting an new floor down soon
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:17PM
kellybarron
When I did mine Pergo was awful! It had tons of problems, but that may have been solved by now. I have the Wilsonart wood look in my kitchen and a tile looking one in my bath and I love them both.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:30PM
Marilyn Maya Mendoza
thank you, I need all the information I can get. Real wood is not an option for me in Hawaii Aloha
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:54PM
Oak & Broad
Engineered wood may still be an option :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:55PM
Marilyn Maya Mendoza
Just found out Wisonart went out of business, shucks
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:56PM
kellybarron
Are you sure? I just looked at Wilsonart's website!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 2:12PM
Marilyn Maya Mendoza
Thank you I will try again
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:18PM
bat80233
Wilson-art comes up on the Formica website. Maybe they merged or were bought out.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:55PM
Carma For Design
WilsonArt (and they had some Sweet High Def products) DID go outta biz:(
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 2:33PM
Marilyn Maya Mendoza
who has good products now? Pergo
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:40PM
Oak & Broad
We do ! :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 7:46PM
Is lighter 5" hardwood floor or darker hardwood floors. Which is best
My daughter chastised me for choosing to stay with...
Jeannine
Help! Hardwood or Engineered Hardwood??
I am replacing vinyl in the kitchen of my rental in...
stewy2you
Would you lay hardwood floors or tile that looks like hardwood?
Wondering if tile that looks like hardwood is just...
zipstlc
Update 80s Rock house
Really stumped on updating the curb appeal on my house....
reidads07
Save 60's blue tile or not?
Hi, I'm Chase and new here. I'm remodeling the main...
Chase Leibold
Please help me to redesign my bedroom to fit 2 adults and 2 children!
My husband, our two small children and I live in a...
azotova87
Help with rug placement with sectional
Just bought this sectional for den. Instead of meeting...
eniel