Best way to set up room??
kacreedoApril 17, 2013
I posted before but here are more pics of all 4 walls of our family room. We haven't moved in yet- these are the current owners pics/furniture.

What do you think is the best way to set up room? Couch and 2 chairs?? Where should TV go? Cable wires set up where their TV is currently but hate how it blocks window and book cases.

Also, do you think we should here paint color to brighten room? Maybe just bringing in mor color with furniture, rugs, etc would be best!

Any advice would be great!! Thanks :-)
Oellien Design, Inc.
Hello There. Do you think it is possible to place the media equipment on the wall opposite of the fireplace or the wall where there is the door and the opening into the kitchen. Then, float the sofa and a pair of chairs in the room between the fireplace on one end and the media on the other end. A great area rug will ground those furniture pieces. That way you can enjoy the fire on one side of the room and the media on the other side of the room. Have fun.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:15AM
Genevieve
You can always have the cable for the TV moved . Wait until you have you own furniture in this room and then post the pictures this will help determine where things should be placed. This room has a Shabby Chic feel to it ,it feels warm and welcoming ,I would paint the fireplace ....but let's wait until you are moved in
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=chabby+chic+living+rooms&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=E25B56586A07E1D0CC318E94276F85B1E35F1419&selectedIndex=14
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:17AM
venusalderman
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:22AM
venusalderman
I think Oellien design has a great idea, especially if your style is country. Otherwise, I would def paint the fireplace and mount the TV above it (remove mantel). Then both focal points are combined into one and you can arrange furniture either way.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:26AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Personally mounting a large rectangle tv over the fireplace with all of those arches would feel pretty busy.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:32AM
venusalderman
What if the bricks were painted all one color, would it still feel busy?
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:39AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Aren't those shape just opposing each other. It would be pretty wild but that is what makes life interesting.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:48AM
venusalderman
haha. I love eclectic design, but I am def not a pro. Wish someone would photoshop this for us.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:52AM
kacreedo
Thanks everyone... I was thinking the same as oellien design in terms of furniture layout. We don't have any furniture for this room yet (other than TV and media console) so it's pretty much a blank slate for us. I'm hesitant to pant the fireplace as I love that look...and might regret it down the road. Our style would def be shabby chic bu also love pieces of vintage or traditional pieces as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:41AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
The house is going to support your design style and the fireplace is great just the way it is. I thought the room had great details but was difficult in terms of layout with todays media furnishings. Have fun.
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:51AM
studio | FORMA
Congratulations on your new home. here are a couple of idea pictures. As far as paint or color, I like the color of the room right now but it needs to be brighten a bit. You may want to contrast the walls with a lighter trim color and if you feel like a bolder look a darker color on doors and window mullions like the top two pictures below.
Furniture layout for this room could vary depending on how you plan to use the room and number of family members. Bottom left picture is a furniture layout that could possibly work in your space. The bottom right picture with a few changes could also work with a right and left hand chase lounge at both ends in front of windows and two side chairs facing the fireplace.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 5:45PM
Agree with TV opposite the FP and a sofa and pair of chairs perpendicular to them with a small coffee table in the center. Don't paint the brick until you've lived with it and started fires in it for a while. If it makes a lot of soot, remember that will be on your white brick. Sweet place!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:46PM
OnePlan
Lovely, Studio FORMA !!!!
    Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 9:47PM
oliverpierson
Studio FORMA is giving you dot on advice. I think because the room is somewhat small, albeit charming,
you need to paint the brick. You could do a plaster and white wash effect that shows just a bit of the brick if you don't want to completely cover the red brick color. Get rid of the mantel and install your big screen TV. That is the purpose of this space 90% of the time, right? Lounging and TV watching....
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 6:10PM
flygirlred
Studio FORMA, I love the ivory wall paint color in the first picture you posted (the picture that has the doorway in it). Do you happen to know it or know where the picture came from? Thanks!
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 6:45PM
kacreedo
Me too! I was thinking I could brighten up the whole room with that color...but also love the idea of whitening just the trim, etc...may give it a little more contrast. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 7:19PM
kacreedo
@. Oliverpierson, is it hard to install on a brick fireplace? Can we still use the fireplace? Seems like a big job...and the wires go where??
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 7:22PM
studio | FORMA
............lots of good advice here. I second "oliverpierson" suggestion on removing the existing mantel and installing your tv. above the fireplace and also white washing the brick for a softer look as the red brick could easily take over the room. A treatment you may consider for plastering over the brick is a "lime plaster" technique. It retains the texture of the brick with a permanet coating (www.wallsofitaly.net).
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:37PM
studio | FORMA
"flygirlred", I don't know the exact color on the picture you pointed out. Many of the new paint manufactures have great whites that you could consider. Some of my favorite's are from farrow & Ball, Pointing No. 2003, Cornforth White No. 228, James White No. 2010 and Strong White No. 2001
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:45PM
studio | FORMA
-
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:45PM
studio | FORMA
-
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:46PM
studio | FORMA
-
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:46PM
studio | FORMA
All these colors could work. The photo is one of the best remodeling photo books currently out, "America Beauty" by Thom Filicia
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:47PM
Nancy Walton
Here's an idea showing the whitewash with TV and the mantel removed
1 Like    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 10:15PM
oliverpierson
Cool photo from Nancy Walton. I would go with a much larger TV, say a foot wider than the one shown and do the plaster look as shown in studio forma's photos. I myself did a DIY and plastered over adobe with exterior stucco and then painted. I am sure there is a professional plasterer or someone in Home Depot that can advise you on the plaster. I think you could push wires thru from the wood box opening. An electrician will be needed. Do the plaster after the electrician works out the wiring. They could drill or cut some kind of channel in the surface of the brick and then the plaster would hide this work.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 10:14AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Just my opinion and I am sure no one else is going to like this point of view but I'm going to love it when we quit sticking tv's over all sorts of surfaces. Just because you can, you shoulldn't. Does the tv have to take main stage all of the time. This person has the ability to place the TV on the opposite side of the room from the fireplace and still have a sucessful furniture placment for both the fire and the media. It is a cottage and let it have details that are interesting and not centered on the tv. As I said,,,,,,it is just my point of view.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 10:22AM
Nancy Walton
I agre, Oellien, I was just fulfilling a request by the poster for a Photoshopped image of what it would look like. I thought your idea was totally feasible, and it probably would be easy to relocate the cables though the cellar or crawlspace under the floor.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 10:28AM
oliverpierson
Oellien D., I know what you are saying about the TV dominating. Ideally, the TV could be hidden behind something like doors on a barn door sliding rail mechanism. The doors could be in the same paneling as the walls. I don't see any other space in the room for a large TV and figure the room is mainly used for TV watching/entertaining.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 10:32AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
@ Nancy and Oliverpierson........great job. I was just on my soap box this morning. Don't get me started on granite counters this morning,,,,,I'll never stop. I love media and I like all of the technology but sometime I just don't want to see it........but.....that is just me.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 10:42AM
kacreedo
Wow- quite the discussion! :-) I'm still Leary about painting the fireplace...so might "live with it" until we get a feel for the room. It's purpose is for TV/relaxation....and I love the idea of having the TV on the opposing wall (across from fireplace)...I do want to brighten the room so think I could whiten the trim and doors...then bring in mor colorful accent pieces/accessories.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 11:29AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
I agree, play up the trim with a crisp detail and bring that color through in light linen textiles.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 11:32AM
joniramsay
You have a beautiful home. Congratulations. You might want to consider painting the brick to match the walls and cabinetry. Remove the hearth and attach your flatscreen on the fireplace wall.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:25AM
Small small ...best way to fill it
This wall is a small width (5'2") and needs decorating. I...
meeko100
Decorating and Room set up... Help!
I have a narrow living room with zero wall space, but...
Katie Conroy
Need help with accessorizing and furniture set up.
I need some help on accessories for the family room....
shantallv
What's the best way to dress up these windows?
I'm thinking of having matching curtains on all of...
gsangasong
Best way to refinish
I have been wanting a stand up jewelry box for my bedroom...
Nichole Veesaert
Converting 3/4 bath to laundry/powder room. Vanity top suggestions?
Mudroom off our garage was linked to kitchen on one...
deborahjarman
Kitchen cabinet dilemna
Kitchen -- can't decide. Does vanilla cream fall into...
1pierina
Backsplash for this kitchen
Suggestions on backsplash for this kitchen. We bought...
Violeta Archilla
kcpotter@shaw.ca
I am looking for 'curb appeal' for the front of our...
kellypotter
Long, narrow living room
Looking for advice on my narrow front room. I'm thinking...
wapusk99