Do I remove "decorative" (I think ugly) trim when repainting the exterior
allenhopkins
I'm going to be repainting the exterior of the house this spring and wanted to remove the wood boards that run diagonally across the house. The front of the house is stucco, and the other 3 sides are siding, so this is the only side of the house where it is. I'd like to get rid of it but others have told me it adds character to the house.
udiscover
yes-absolutely. It looks like a barn.
1 Like   Thanked by allenhopkins    April 17, 2013 at 3:59PM
bluenan
It's Tudor styling on a non-Tudor house. I would remove it for more contemporary feel. You've already said you think it's ugly, I'd go with your true feelings.
3 Likes   Thanked by allenhopkins    April 17, 2013 at 4:00PM
Sense of Space
Removing fretwork (the boards) could mean that you're going to have to patch stucco in places where they've been removes. I would recommend changing the color scheme, creating more contrast (off-white stucco with dark brown wood) and adding more detail to the facade - lighting, plants, etc.
2 Likes   Thanked by allenhopkins    April 17, 2013 at 4:01PM
handymam
It's your house, you live there and so it needs to appeal to you. Don't worry about what the "others" say. Sometimes, the "others" don't have good taste or a personality! I would also want to remove it if you are going for a more updated look. Just be careful that you don't damage the stucco. And post an after pic too!
2 Likes   Thanked by allenhopkins    April 17, 2013 at 4:03PM
allenhopkins
I'm going to paint the house a gray-ish color, with white-ish trim boards. I'm a contractor so patching the stucco isn't a big deal.
1 Like   April 17, 2013 at 4:06PM
Kathleen Amatangelo
This trim is a "take off" on half timbers homes. Google Images and put in English Half Timber. I think it is a little "funky" for a one story house. You could remove the angled trim, and leave the rest. Consider using three colors for your home, this always adds interest ("character"). Landscaping plants would be a lovely way to add character back to your home, maybe a trellis between the two front windows with a climbing vine.
2 Likes   Thanked by allenhopkins    April 17, 2013 at 4:07PM
Sense of Space
In that case I would take them off.
1 Like   Thanked by allenhopkins    April 17, 2013 at 4:08PM
studio10001
Perfect!
allenhopkins
Kathleen - where would I use the third color? I do like the idea of a trellis with a climbing vine :)
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 4:12PM
Kathleen Amatangelo
I am thinking the plaster area above the garage door large trim board, the plaster part of the entry post, and the rectangles below the two front windows. The wood trim could be an accent color "white-ish", the the rest of the plaster walls a "gray-ish". These can all be the same color way (as in paint chips that come with with shades of white to grayish). I would use a shade about 2x darker grayish for the third color. I would have the garage door MATCH the light gray-ish color, since they are not the desired focal point on most homes! Think of a 4th color for the front door, since it is in a dark area. You could go with a bright color...like RED! :)
1 Like   Thanked by allenhopkins    April 17, 2013 at 4:28PM
allenhopkins
I'm not sure if its too late to reply to this. I'm finally getting to painting. Can you recommend any color schemes? I like the idea of the 3 color scheme that Kathleen mentioned. I'm also not sure what color to paint the front door and the black metal security door. Red seems a bit much for a 30 yr old bachelor.....maybe not?
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 7:17PM
studio10001
Following her post for degrees of shade to make a third colour, this combo of sand and greige might look nice. And how about a green or British navy door (picks up a shade from the stained window?) http://www.houzz.com/discussions/743352/Tudor-material
0 Likes   Thanked by allenhopkins    December 12, 2013 at 8:36PM
rinqreation
I liked the tropical barn-look. :)
What trim did you end up removing? The diagonals or more?

A pale grey (cement-ish) and a stone grey (medium, warm) would look good with a dark steely greyblue. Just all a but lighter than my examples..
And an accent color such as red, why not?
Modern Portland Landscape
Front
2 Likes   February 8, 2014 at 10:54AM
mcbmd3
So let me confuse the matter. I have a country house with very, very similar boards. Because it is a country house, I decided to leave the boards and go with what was there. I painted the house essentially yellow ( took a month to get the right shade), painted the boards shiny black, installed flower boxes under the windows, and planted wisteria vines on the pergola adjacent. The effect is country charming, not modern. It looks great, but is very taste specific and maybe not your cup of tea. The fact that you are handy creates so many more possibilities. You could remove the boards and possible deal with that "pillar" near the front door to modernize the look of the house. Good luck.
0 Likes   February 8, 2014 at 11:09AM
Cinque Residential
Remove it.
1 Like   February 8, 2014 at 11:16AM
What's a good exterior paint color if I repaint the trim white?
I'll also be repainting the door more than likely....
How do i repaint this old trim!?!??
I have old oak trim that I want to repaint white, but...
when decorating a room do i paint first or decorate
I will start to update my living room. Should I decide...
Ugly, cheap, honey colored oak trim: What should I do?
House built 1999, we moved into it new, but was a speck...
Need help on my bedroom windows
Hi guys! I recently took off cellular shades and floor...
Need help identifying this baby furniture item?
A friend gave this to me and told me it was a walker...
Help with kitchen flooring
We have Saltillo tile (cleaned, lightened and grout...
Kitchen remodel
Looking for suggestions, contractors, deals? Based...
Mixing different glass table tops
Is it ok to mix different types of glass - like a small...