How to decorate coffee and end tables with alot of shelving?
maisiekl
April 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I recently purchased new tables for our sitting room. They are very open with lots of space to put things- the problem is what do I put?

Coffee table- I am putting a large bamboo bowl here... Should I put other things with it? My biggest issue is if I should fill the large open space on the bottom.

Side tables- one does have a basket (shown) what can I put on the other one? Do I fill the back space.

My biggest struggle is looking good vs clutter. I understand a stack of books would look good, yet I feel too many is too much. But I'm not sure what else to put. The accent colors in this room are red, white, tan and black. The wood is dark brown and furniture is a beige. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
studio10001
The wicker basket being used is a tad large for my taste, making your table look like a small storage cabinet.
Your photos are not attaching here, but in general, don't feel the need to fill just because you can. That said, a low tray will allow you have a few smaller bits and turn them into a vignette on your table. A low dish or container will also fill spots that seem bare with your accent color. If you have wooden puzzles or paperweights, they can add interest without clutter, as well. And coffee table books, of course !!
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 5:46PM
maisiekl
Thanks. I'm not sure why my pics aren't showing so ill try to post again...
1 Like   April 17, 2013 at 5:52PM
studio10001
That time worked. Yes, aim for display, not storage. If you place the bamboo bowl and it is a plain one, put something in it. Objects that I mentioned above work if they add something of beauty or interest, only : a bit of color, an unexpected surprise or conversation starter, a beautiful book or three. Otherwise,leave it alone. Empty containers now tend to fill with flotsom later.
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 7:38PM
PRO
OnePlan
I think the basket looks a little lost ?!?!
I would use the shelving for one or two interesting books - just don't overdo it ! Less is more !!
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 8:54PM