What to do with Bar Area?
rcpayton08
We are buying this house later this week and it has a small bar/wet bar area in the room over the garage. The room also has a pool table and large TV. I like the bar area but it lacks style. Im just not sure how to jazz it up without going too far....need ideas! The carpeting is blue to match the pool table but Id like to replace it with a neutral color in the near future.
suzanne_m
My first impression when I saw that space was to design it as a dinner. I see aluminium counter top with swivel aluminium stools (no back) with red seats. I saw that border below which I think could be nice in blue, white and red but I am not sure where to put it exactly. I love your light fixture!
April 17, 2013 at 7:28PM     
Replace blue carpet with wood. Remove ugly lite over bar replace with the recessed lites that are in. If you replace counter with granite tiles would be cheap fix. Then 2-3 bar stools look on Internet for something interesting. Try red.
April 17, 2013 at 7:33PM   
Sarah K
hmm, my first thought is it needs to be more functional, depending on the crowd you are entertaining, and your budget, but the white half wall and oak cabinets clash, the white half wall and arborite counter are functional - but blah. need pics of rest of room - what is down the rest of that wall? will there be a flat screen TV mounted in the room?

IMHO, I would: create a pub style area - add oak wainscoting to the wall or at least bottom half (oak sheeted plywood and oak trim work, do it yourself job) - you may have to do that the entire length of the left/outside wall, and to that 1/2 wall that creates the 'bar'.

Change the arborite counter to oak or dark color, and add oak trim (router anyone?) if you can - extend the high seat counter farther down the wall, even all the way? I see why the entry is so wide, you need to pull fridge out one day. You could still extend the bar top by putting a portion of it on hinges, that way you can leave it down but if fridge needs out you can pull it up and voila wide opening.

With the panelling up, put up appropriate size shelves inside bar area on the left or outside wall to place your bottles on, paint whatever walls are left a nice rich darker color - that way the fridge and other features will not stand out so much. might mean painting entire room, and toning down the trim too. No pub or bar has white walls, Go to local pubs and look at the 'bar' area and see what you like color wise and decor wise. For the sink backsplash and going all the way up the slanted wall/ceiling maybe look into a patterned metal like stamped or bashed tin.

Look on houzz for basement pubs and see what they all have in common (hefty stools, wood, darker, cozy, brass features ) if possible. If really tight on a budget, you could fake a brick work by ordering brick wall paper online. I searched and searched, but found a REALLY good old style brick paper for a bedroom, it looks like a mini studio apartment now. Still it would need to be broken up with wood or other major feature, but if you get the right one it can look fantastic. The paper cost me about $350 for one bedroom.

Lighting should be ambient, and cast down from up high, not bright, the recessed pot lights are right.
window treament should be heavy wood shutters or horizontal dark faux wood blinds maybe.

Just some ideas. Good luck! More pics of room would help

Sarah.
April 17, 2013 at 8:10PM   
OnePlan
Love the diner idea !! Would need more shelving for glasses and interesting bottles !
April 17, 2013 at 8:56PM     
It's a Beautiful World!
Cute little area... I suppose, you could add wall art, that usually brings character to any room.... Raisa
April 17, 2013 at 11:58PM   
Sharon
Maybe remove the half counter, open it up a bit.
April 18, 2013 at 2:05AM   
Sharon
April 18, 2013 at 2:10AM   
rcpayton08
Great ideas! I would definitely like to get rid of that light fixture (although it will be a tough sell to my husband). I would love to enclose and enlarge the bar area and change the counter top and add a backsplash and shelves as recommended. I have added some pics of the rest of the room for perspective, however, the only thing that remains in the room now are the light fixtures, pool table, TV and dart board. It's pretty much a blank slate. The blue carpet is not ideal but will have to stay there for a while. Any ideas about paint color schemes would be appreciated as well!
April 18, 2013 at 7:31AM   
suzanne_m
Now, that I see the rest of the room, the diner idea may not be the best choice. I don't see the coca-cola light fixture doing very well with the pool table light fixture.
April 18, 2013 at 8:41AM   
rcpayton08
Im not sold on any of the light fixtures. The pot lights above the bar area are the only ones I know will stay.
April 18, 2013 at 9:36AM   
Actually, I'd remove the bar and put a small round table - think Parisian street cafe - and two chairs there. I think Yellow would be a nice accent in thie room with all the blue.
April 18, 2013 at 9:44AM   
suzanne_m
I like the idea of a round table, so you would not be facing the wall when seated. The Parisian café style could be cute too.
April 18, 2013 at 9:58AM   
suzanne_m
decoenthusiaste, the authentic french café chair reminds me of one of the prints I have at home:
April 18, 2013 at 12:24PM     
No oak. This is not 1980.
April 18, 2013 at 12:44PM   
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
I really like the diner idea! VERY CUTE!
April 18, 2013 at 12:44PM   
What to do with the blank wall above the bar area? Please help!
We just remodeled our home and I am lost on the right...
what to do with bar area
I am having a hard time deciding what to do with my...
what to do with bar area
I am having a hard time deciding on what to to with...
What to do above my kitchenette/ bar area
Hello everyone, I have a kitchenette near our theater...
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
sofa bed
hi i am looking for a sofa bed that extends to a double...
I need help with my backyard!!!
okay as you can see I use to have a pool in my backyard...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...