Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laconn

Need help adding color to my kitchen with a rug

Lauren
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Just received our new chairs for our kitchen table - loving their formal-yet-comfy look! But now we have too much beige.

I desperately need help selecting a rug! Any suggestions? Would likely fill the room (8x10 or 9x11) so chairs could pull in and out easily. I love the Pottery Barn look ( http://www.potterybarn.com/products/malika-rug/?) but am open to something more modern and geometric like ( http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Espana_Border_Area_Rug/210/). My rug inspiration Pinterest board is here: http://pinterest.com/laconn/rug-inspiration/.

Also, any other suggestions to add style and color is greatly welcome - table arrangement, lighting, even paint color! I'm open to it all. Thank you for helping me, I'm so clueless about rugs and adding color!

Comments (16)

• Lauren
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Another photo for reference - we want our wall art to stay!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    I think the Argonne rug grey will look fab in here ! Beautiful room and furniture !!
  • PRO
    Aegean Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Great room! I'd pull in the colors in your prints. Something multi and transitional. See what's available on Bellacor.com, and Overstock.com You should be able to find the perfect rug. Chrysteen
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Your colours are still muted, so I think a carpet that brings in lots of muted colours but remains discreet is the best way for the look you have created. I also think the design below works with your style

Global Living / Bluefish Home - Showroom · More Info
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous room! I would get a simple patterned rug so it doesn't overpower the room. It has to be big enough so when you pull out the chairs, the legs are still on the rug.

You can check out some of my art. All contemporary style that will look great there: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

You don't have too much work in that room. Looks great!
  • pulsar7
    10 years ago
    Your dining room -- lovely beige walls with cream trim, lighter wood floor, darker wood table and dark (wood?) chair legs plus beautiful light fixture and clock -- is wonderful ... inviting, nice proportions, uncluttered and peaceful feeling!! It just needs a little color interest "pop". You love Pottery Barn? Perfect ... grab their catalog(s) or log on to their website and ideas will jump out at you. Right off the top, I'd suggest rich color placemats, cloth napkins and/or candles, maybe colored glassware or dishware ... deep solid cranberry (maybe adding print or stripe touches) is a great energetic accent color you might try. It can do wonders! Pottery Barn has many gorgeous rugs ... some with beautiful borders. Depending on your finances, you can also find Pottery Barn style rugs various places. We found our dining room rug and living room rug at Costco a few years back. They look great, wear great and didn't break the bank. Also, I don't know what the rest of your house looks like but I get some Craftsman/Greene & Greene/Mission flavor from your dining room but whatever your decor style(s) you can view books, magazines, websites, decorating/DIY/architecture programs for tons of color, furnishing, accent and decorating ideas. Be open and flexible to what you see, and maybe stash favorite ideas, pictures, notes, etc. in an idea scrapbook or idea file. For me, second and third looks are very helpful for choice considerations. Hope this helps! Best wishes, Claudia
  • Lauren
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    lbelmona - where did you find those rug pictures? I love them and would love to investigate buying!
  • Lina Belmona
    10 years ago
    Hello Laconn, I'm glad you liked the rugs. Here are the vendors in order: Horchow, Rugs USA, The Classy Cottage and the last one is from Design Public. You can search in the product tab of the Houzz app for the above vendors; I found them there myself!! good luck!
  • Lina Belmona
    10 years ago
    Forget about the last one, I didn't post the 4th rug!
  • PRO
    Mike BROUSE fine art
    10 years ago
    original artwork is always preferred over prints
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    My two favorites for your room couldn't be more different, but I like your Pottery Barn choice and the lbelmona first Horchow choice. I like your art and think those two compliment it the best.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Does this area open to any other already decorated areas that you need to keep in mind when choosing the rug?
  • PRO
    Oriental Weavers
    10 years ago
    Nice table and chairs! If you want to incorporate your artwork, I would stick with natural muted colors and strive for a sophisticated natural contemporary vibe. Few things that could help: Pops of muted rustic colors in rug, heavy stoneware or large wooden platter on table with rustic candles, plant, new chandelier maybe of wood or low light ambiance (
    Family Rooms · More Info
    ) , Painted warm gray/smokey brown underneath chair rails. Also, I would look into framing your artwork with heavy wooden frames to tie in with table. I'm attaching a few options of rugs that could work well. Good luck and have fun with this space!
  • pivoines
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I love your table and chairs, beautiful. You do need some color to liven up the room, I suggest (from Pottery Barn) Hearst rug , in red , Desa rug /terra cotta and Gramercy in coffee. You need to replace the shutters with floor length drapes The pattern of the Kendra drapes (pottery Barn) would work very well but the colour showing for the brown doesn't look right, maybe it is my computer that changes it, but the pattern on the fabric is something you should consider,
    for the windows, buy your poles larger than the windows so it looks wider than it is . Move the clock to another room, it should be on a smaller wall, somewhere.
    Do not frame your art work, it is meant to be one picture and it would not work if framed.
    Hang a mirror on the wall opposite your art, approximately the size of your art , Or a smaller mirror with sconces on either side.
    You need a black or brown chandelier ( maybe wrought iron ) hanging lower than your current one. It will be beautiful.good luck.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 years ago
    This discussion if from over a year ago.