Patio or leave grass
bella62
I have this small space in the front of my house. I am thinking of putting a small patio here .i am getting tired of mowing grass that doesn't grow well. I also would plant some annuals along the sidewalk.
Looking for any ideas pro or con
handymam
Can you possible show the rest of the house? We could get a better idea of what you are working with. Is this the only grass in front?
April 18, 2013 at 12:15pm   
handymam
Why not just extend what looks to be a flower bed and plant something?
April 18, 2013 at 12:16pm   
bella62
This is the whole house .
April 18, 2013 at 12:18pm   
A stone patio will reflect more heat into your windows. What material are you considering.
April 18, 2013 at 12:19pm   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Take out the grass and plant shrubs, something tells me that if you put a patio in, you probably will not sit out there.
April 18, 2013 at 12:23pm     
handymam
You have a lovely house that would greatly be enhanced by landscaping. I would definitely go for the flower bed. If you hate mowing, you might also consider enlarging the ones you have across the front of the house and adding a 3-4 foot wide one across the front of your yard out by the street, with or without a fence behind it. A path from the street to the front door would make even less grass to mow, lol.
April 18, 2013 at 12:26pm   
bella62
I have been thinking of either concrete pavers or brick .
I also would add a bistro table and chairs as well as the branch in photo
April 18, 2013 at 12:26pm   
Barnhart Gallery
Hi bella -- I'm guessing at your planting zone, but I'd try filling in with a rhododendron under each of the 1st story windows and make that whole side area a planting bed with a mulch or paver pad just a step or two in for the bench. The ball in the front yard tells me it might be handy to have it there when the bus runs late.

I might push the front pair of rhododendrons (or whatever you prefer) out towards the corners making room to nestle a sky pencil on either side of the front landing, between it and each of the windows.
April 18, 2013 at 12:27pm     
handymam
If the area in question id shady most of the time and that is why grass won't grow, hydrangesa would be nice in that area. You can get them in many colors, but if youget the forever kind, or endless summer, they keep reblooming.
April 18, 2013 at 12:27pm   
Judy M
I would extend the foundation bed along house into that area, I think stone in between the paved driveway and sidewalk will be too much hardscape in that space.

Don't plant anything that will get taller than the windows, a few low growing shrubs and then fill the rest with a ground cover. Once it all fills in, you won't have to mow. we have a similar space and that's what we did.
April 18, 2013 at 12:28pm   
lexweyhan
Is this A) a place you would really love to sit or B) are you thinking of alternatives to the grass patch? If it's A, I would do it. If not, I would plant a good size flowering bush and cover the ground with mulch. No more mowing.
April 18, 2013 at 12:30pm     
handymam
Look for dwarf varieties of Rhodo or any other shrubs. They won't require as much trimming.
April 18, 2013 at 12:31pm   
handymam
Good point lexweyhan! Or c, do both. Still could plant things, and have table and chairs to sit!
April 18, 2013 at 12:33pm     
bella62
I do want to sit out there . I would sit out there to have coffee in morning or a glass of wine with neighbors walking by in the early evening.
April 18, 2013 at 12:36pm     
joanbllt
What you want is a porch without actually having a porch. How about doing the flowers and shrubs and having a small flagstoned area with a bench tucked into the garden.. Like this
April 18, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Cross River Design, Inc.
Is there a reason you wouldn't want to sit in the backyard? It would seem that this is a very conspicuous place to relax and I fear the lack of privacy would stop you from using it. Having said that, I would not design a patio for this space, simply because there are too many other hard surfaces in the vicinity. Have you considered a small enclosed garden with a water feature? Here's an example of a space we completed late last year as part of a much larger project. It's brand new and the foliage will take 12-18 months to start to fill in, but you get the idea.
April 18, 2013 at 2:25pm   
bella62
I have a screen porch off the back of the house. Hardly ever used and in need of structural repairs .
I just like to sit out front . We live on a dead end street .
April 18, 2013 at 2:30pm   
Barnhart Gallery
joanbuilt -- Just what I had in mind!
April 18, 2013 at 3:04pm     
The Other Side Lawn & Landscape LLC
I agree with most posters that it would be to much hardscpe for the area. My first thought was to do something like joanbilt posted. I would put the bench a little further back than in that photo, just so your not sitting on the side walk. I could recommend plants if I new what zone you were in. You could add a bubbling boulder to the garden also for a more tranquil feel.
.
April 18, 2013 at 4:21pm   
bella62
I live in Massachusetts .
Thank you all for the suggestions . I will take them all into consideration .
If the other side lawn person could help me out with more suggestions I would really appreciate it.
April 18, 2013 at 5:34pm   
Barnhart Gallery
I guessed right bella, me too. Hope all the runners and families in your life are okay.
April 18, 2013 at 7:00pm   
bella62
They are Barnhart gallery
Thanks
So what are your suggestions
Not a fan of rhododendron
April 18, 2013 at 7:03pm   
The Other Side Lawn & Landscape LLC
What do you think of a butterfly gardens? They are usually colorful and most of the plants bloom all season.
I was thinking something like this with a flagstone step stone path down the middle to your bench. I dont like the bush in the back and would change it to a Fourth of July butterfly bush if it were my property.
April 18, 2013 at 8:14pm     
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I'd have landscaping not just grass.....that is what belongs back there.....I'd also widen the front porch a bit.
April 18, 2013 at 8:20pm   
bella62
Well this is my finished product .
I really love it. And am planing to put a small bistro table
June 7, 2013 at 3:27pm     
handymam
bella62, it looks beautiful! And you did it early enough in the season to really enjoy your quiet little spot this summer. Nice job.
June 10, 2013 at 6:07am   
ralamantia
You need some height on the corners of the house...maybe a leyland cypress. As far as your trouble area, a crepe myrtle tree version with mulch and perenials below. An island in the front with a River Birch would be look great.
June 10, 2013 at 6:13am   
how much space to leave under a patio door for flagstone patio?
About to grade the backyard and I was wondering how...
Hi there. what is the trailing grass/leaves? Not the horsetail.
Would these do well in shaded area in NJ climate? Thanks!...
How easy is it to keep clean? When leaves or grass cutting fall.
I would like to put one under a tree area but there...
Grass or Moss in between patio
Good Day ... what do you use in between stones grass...
Help want to remove wall
Want to open up dining room, living room, kitchen....
Craftsman Living Room/Dining Room Help
This post replaces my request for suggestions in hiring...
What should I paint the bathroom walls/cabinets?
I have not seen our house in person yet. Looks like...
LIGHTING FIXTURE FOR INSIDE SHOWER
CANNOT USE A RECESSED LIGHT. WHAT IS SAFE FOR INSIDE...
How to make small bedroom look cozy
Hi, Need a help to make our small bedroom little warmer...