Need help chosing paint colors for house
mdwsgrc
I have a 1971 ranch home and previous owners were fond of the pink color family. I've got most of the inside western ranch theme. Now the biggie....losing sleep over ....what color(s) should I use to pull more of the darker colors out of the brick. I have a shingled carport
that needs to be painted on the underside which is, attached to the garage and that is connected to an apartment (man cave now that the kids are out)....it(apartment) opens to a open coverd deck (that needs to be restained). I love the red door but we are changing to a solid windowless door (that I also need to pick out).....help.....my list to do's is getting longer and stressing. I'm also wanting to redo the landscaping. I like the cedars anchoring the front....gives me the idea of ranch-western syle....but not sure of the boxwood bushes....it dates the house ..or is within the original asthetics???? You can tell I'll be back often for ideas. For now I just need ideas for colors. I was thinking of redoing the shutters with raw sealed cedar three 1x4's banded with 1x4 on top and botttom, (and maybe routed design on one of the 1x4's...pine tree, texas star, etc.) even thought of putting support beams across porch (don't need for support because of our truss roof system). I hope I haven't confused all. I just need some help with the curb appeal. Our subdivision is country within city limits (7/8 acre lots) and I just want to enhance the exclusiveness of our peaceful place we call home. Thanks in advance for all comments.
Jayme H.
Hi mdwsgrc...can u post pics of the brick u r trying to tie into? Also shingles play in too..thanks;)
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 3:25PM
mdwsgrc
still loading pics. i took an upclose close pic of the brick.Thank you for such a quck response..i love this site.
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 3:34PM
mdwsgrc
Here's the upclose of the brick. I want to tone down the pinky red in the brick.The sidewalk (needs edging) and the driveway are trimmed in brick too.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 4:08PM
mdwsgrc
I'm not opposed to dark colors. There's just alot to paint and I want to make sure of the color.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 4:10PM
Jayme H.
I could see going with a charcoal or a brown or tan..Are u posting pics of the whole front?
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 4:20PM
mdwsgrc
The shingles are a dark grey tones. We were thinking of possibly putting a metal roof on it....probably same color or close to it.
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 4:25PM
Jayme H.
Example
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 4:25PM
mdwsgrc
New to posting here....I thought i already did..I'll add some more.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 4:27PM
Jayme H.
Just saw a partial front of home pic..very dark and hard to see, sorry.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 4:33PM
mdwsgrc
cloudy today and i waited too late....but it lets me get ideas in different light situations.
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 4:43PM
mdwsgrc
full front view
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 4:48PM
Jayme H.
very nice..What do u think of a charcoal?
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 5:11PM
mdwsgrc
I originally was thinking of charcoal but couldn't commit..lol. I think because as the picture of the garage connecting by deck to apartment made me think it would be to dark..would you accent anywhere? Like shutters soffits, gutters?? And the carport and garage doors? Charcoal too? I was thinking of a blue with grey tones for the front and backentry doors???
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 5:40PM
Jayme H.
You could go a lighter grey on the garage siding & use charcoal for trim. The door could go a bluish color as u mentioned also.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 5:47PM
Jayme H.
Ben Moore has so many wonderful grays...check out their website..Amherst grey is pretty..
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 6:00PM
mdwsgrc
the ceiling lighter or wall? would unsanded rustic pine shutters look ok with the charcoal?? I've seen them and just love the natural look to them. Maybe stained darker but left rough?
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 6:05PM
mdwsgrc
not pine.....i meant cedar.
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 6:06PM
Jayme H.
No, I meant the wall a lighter grey and then doing charcoal accents if u were in fear charcoal would be too dark..I think cedar, natural shutters would look great with the brick and grey paint..
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 6:08PM
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Paint all of that black......black looks great with reddish brick like that. Its a nice contrast.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 6:09PM
Jayme H.
Here is an example of the look I love-with the wood..although this has white trim and no brick...u can still somewhat see what I mean
1 Like   April 18, 2013 at 6:11PM
mdwsgrc
CMR - Paint everything black? house garage and apt? what about garage doors and entry doors? Exploring options...thanks.
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 6:26PM
mdwsgrc
and carport ceiling and walls?
0 Likes   April 18, 2013 at 6:27PM
knotreeltight
Sherwin Williams has a nice grey called "Herring Grey" if you like grey tones. I'm not sure of the S/W number though. Another nice color that is a neutral earth tone is Kelly Moore's "Navajo White" and is a tan that is nice, blends well with many contrasting colors as well. On the metal roof, just remember, the darker you go the more heat it absorbs and the smaller the home will look! Also, I personally would go with a galvalume color (Raw metal). It will tone (Dull) down rather rapidly. I would also avoid a colored metal roof on especially a residential home. Colored metal will tend to fade over time and with the darker shades they will often peel over time although most companies do have decent warranties on their metals. I live in central Texas and the weather is often brutal here... Not sure of your location, but these are just my thoughts, especially in my region....
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 9:47AM
knotreeltight
Also, either color mentioned or their family and a stained or black door would look great! I am a contractor and have done quite a few homes in the colors I have mentioned
0 Likes   May 8, 2014 at 9:51AM
need help choseing a color for new garage door and trim around house
we just bought our first house and the existing garage...
Need help chosing a paint color for my kitchen
Newly installed granite and slate backsplash. I am...
need help with chosing paint color
Hello everyone! I have an old Chippendale style china...
Need help with chosing a paint color and curtains, possibly a rug too
I just bought this charcoal colored sectional. Not...
Need help chosing paint colors
What color would you paint this room?
Bathroom Tile Help!
I need your advice on choosing tile for our Master...
Need ideas for a queen headboard/bedframe against damask wallpaper
Hi Guys and Gals, I am looking for advice on a queen...
Ideas for what colour to paint walls
I have dark blue kitchen cabinets and travertine marble...
Curtain colour
I have an open plan living room/ dining room and I'd...
Hallway Help!
Blank canvas new house - we need ideas for our entry/hallway!...