Blank canvas bedroom
MJ Forester
April 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help pulling my bedroom together. It's a blank canvas as I've purchased nothing yet and have no idea where to start. I'm not good at mixing colors but I like the painting and would love to work bright yellow in. Any ideas??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
You already nailed it and have the pillows too. Just work with the colors in your art.
April 18, 2013 at 4:23pm   
MJ Forester
Thank you for the help!! What color/kind of headboard and what kind of drapes would look good??
April 18, 2013 at 4:31pm   
anne dee

have you considered bringing in red/black/white with yellow as the accent similar to this inspiration pic
As you will notice in the pic of the inspiration the blue in the art work is the only blue color in the room which makes it stand out. You could do the same idea with the yellow in your art work. ie yellow in your art work would be the only yellow in the room. It would look smashing!!
April 18, 2013 at 5:00pm     
MJ Forester
I love that idea... but what drapes would work??
April 18, 2013 at 5:14pm   
anne dee
the color of the walls in the inspiration pic is benjamin moore crisp khaki. Color of the drapes could match the wall color in a tone on tone fabric on curtain hardware that shows at the top. the tone on tone curtain material could match the print of the 2accessory pillows on the bed to tie it together. I think oil rubbed bronze curtain hardware would be nice. Click under Veranda House Hotel for more inspiration
April 18, 2013 at 5:35pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would look for a simple square top headboard in the same color as your night stands. Then I'd paint the bed and window walls two or three shades lighter than the yellow in the art over the bed. Either take the art with you or pick up some paint chips from the paint store to determine what color that is. Leave the other walls the color they are or paint them white.

I like the yellow and white pillows you have and they work beautifully with the white bed covering. I'd buy a yellow quilt to fold and place across the foot of the bed. You could add an orange pillow in there, just for fun. I'd do white or off white draperies.
April 18, 2013 at 5:46pm     
MJ Forester
I'm going to cry (for joy) ...thank you so much!! :)
April 18, 2013 at 5:55pm     
PRO
You are very welcome. I'm very pleased that you like our ideas.
April 18, 2013 at 6:01pm     
Nancy Walton
I would add a bedskirt out of the same fabric as the yellow pillows, adds another pop of color to add weight at the bottom of your "composition."
April 18, 2013 at 6:27pm   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi mj -- I did this a few hours ago but I got called away...hmmm, what did I save it as?
...here's what I was thinking:
April 18, 2013 at 9:24pm     
PRO
KShoa
Paint the bed wall a darker shade to balance the room. I think the art should be on a more narrow wall. I have a sexy yellow painting you can check out here (I have the original and canvas prints in various sizes): https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa
April 18, 2013 at 11:20pm   
MJ Forester
That is BEAUTIFUL! The wood behind the bed - I LOVE this. You are brilliant! How would I go about constructing the paneling? I love the orange.
April 19, 2013 at 6:49am   
nasmijati
@Barnhart Gallery. Your solution for this room is excellent!
April 19, 2013 at 7:09am   
carolins
Hmm... I would do a black (tufted) headboard, black velvet curtains, black bedside tables and Barnhart Gallery's lampshades and ottoman.
April 19, 2013 at 7:28am   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi mj -- glad you like it. Sorry I didn't have time to elaborate last night. There are any number of ways to execute the headboard look, at various price points. For the high end, I'd hire a carpenter to make a dimensional headboard incorporating and framing your inspiration art. (Love your tiger lily.) It could be constructed using bamboo, mahogany, even reclaimed wood -- lots of choices. Lower price points could include wood grain wallpaper, a series of hollow core doors hung horizontally to the ceiling, or even a wide bamboo blind.
April 19, 2013 at 8:15am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
If you aren't handy IKEA do a similar headboard (I have seen it done all the way up to the ceiling) I wonder if it could be stained...
April 19, 2013 at 8:27am     
Brooke Strong
mjcorder32, what is your design style and what energy do you want the room to have? DO you want it dark and somewhat pan-asian, transitional, modern?
By the colors you chose and the painting I could see you going with almost an americanized thai/transitional theme here...you could paint the walls an yellow/orange, bring in dark brown or black drapes and go really bold...or make the wall a dark color...chocolate or black (maybe even put wood paneling on the whole wall? and do what Barhart Gallery did above with colors.
Take a look at some of the decorating in these spas/resorts in Thailand...you'll see some beautiful inspiration. http://www.asiawebdirect.com/thailand/phuket/mai-khao/anantara-phuket-villas/#
April 19, 2013 at 8:31am