Would love opinions on door hardware/plumbing fixtures
polansky
We're building a house. My color palate is warm. I'm going to have the new GE slate-color appliances and a darker wood-stained beechwood kitchen cabinet. I was planning to go with maybe a Venetian bronze or oil-rubbed bronze finish for door hardware, lighting and plumbing fixtures. Would this be staying with current trends? Or is brushed nickel a safer way to go? Last time we built, it seems like I unknowingly chose things that were on their way out rather than on their way in. I would love to hear opinions from decorators or just anyone who may be more on top of styles and trends than I am. Thanks in advance.
rinqreation
To me it's more important if the whole picture feels right, than if something is a trend. A homey house done right is timeless. Now let's hear it from the designers.
April 19, 2013 at 4:46am     
dianahb
Not a designer here, so take this for what it's worth-- but bronze seems dated to me. Even when it was "in" - I thought it was dated, absolutely from the get-go. I really like brushed nickel and anything stainless steel. Polished chrome, used sparingly, doesn't offend me either, and I think can add, rather than subtract-- and can be mixed with brushed nickel-- again, in a sparing way. I just think all those finishes tend to remain timeless. Just my non-designer opinion.
April 19, 2013 at 5:16am   
The trends are showing glittery things coming back into fashion: golds, bronze, copper are all on trend.
Having observed Houzz dilemmas - your problem is not yours but for the person who buys - every new owner seems to want to change out their hardware.....
April 19, 2013 at 5:33am   
Unless you enjoy the expense and work of changing hardware, I would go with brushed nickel, it's a bit more timeless.
April 19, 2013 at 5:52am   
polansky
Thank you, everyone for your opinions. I'm thinking of doing the kitchen in bronze and the bathrooms in brushed nickel. Would that be weird? The rooms are nowhere near each other. I know I'm probably over-engineering this decision but it's a large house and I want to get it right so things don't look out-of-date too quickly. We plan to live there a long time.
April 22, 2013 at 9:37am   
rinqreation
Then you will have to look at it for a long time, you make the pick. Choose for yourself, as ASV was stating.

(two seperate rooms, two different qualities, you decide)
April 22, 2013 at 10:45am   
Creations by Alno, Inc.
It is perfectly fine to mix metals. Bronze is in style now. Satin Nickel and Polished Chrome are classic. Antique and brass finishes are more daring. Polished Nickel seems to be the more fashion forward trend.

Traditional Kitchen by Mercer Island Architect knowles psContemporary Kitchen by San Francisco Interior Designer Steven Miller Design Studio, Inc.
April 22, 2013 at 10:57am   
Awkward living room
Any design advice would be greatly appreciated! We...
Crown Moldings Low Ceilings
We have a house built in 1950 with ceiling heights...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Furniture placement in living room!
Hi all! My husband and I have been working on lots...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...