Any ideas for updating the front of my new home.....really dislike the Spanish lace stuccco
karenforer
I want to update the front of my house with a contemporary style. Help please......thanks. Landscaping could use some love too..
Personally, I think the house looks lovely! It's only the garage door that is kind of boring, and it's the first thing you see. Would you be interested in putting in one of the frosted glass garage doors? I think they look fabulous.
Del Mar Residence
fallingcliff
Home Front Yards 1
Home Front Yards 2
5 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 8:18AM
Clopay Building Products
Garage door manufacturer Clopay (www.clopaydoor.com) makes the aluminum and glass door shown in feeny's post. It's called the Avante Collection. We also have an online design tool you can use to upload the photo of your home and try on different garage door styles/colors to see how they look. You might want to consider a stained steel door. They add warmth and character and are very popular right now. Collections to consider are the Classic Premium Series, the Cypress Collection and the Gallery Collection all with Ultra-Grain finish. Clopay doors are available through dealers and at The Home Depot. Hope this helps!
3 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 8:50AM
karenforer
Thanks, I think laying pavers on the driveway integrated with the brick would improve the flow too
   April 19, 2013 at 9:26AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Hello and Good Day, couple things right off the bat that ould help your residence. Get the garage door replaced and say bye bye to all of those little fake panels and replace the door with frosted glass or a nice flat panel door design. Tie together the walk and the drive by removing the the stepping stones and gravel and replace it with a simple squared up paver system in a dark charcoal color and then stain the concrete of the drive a similar color as the new pavers. . Finally paint out the house all of the same colors, from the gutters, trim, stucco all the same crisp clean color.
2 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 9:42AM
karenforer
Great ideas.....I still have a lot of red brick .....would that look good with the grey? Would u then paint the house, trim and garage door a light? Grey too?I think it would be nice to replace the 2 aluminum windows in front with wood contemporary casement windows that would complement the frosted glass doors u suggest
   April 19, 2013 at 9:55AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Where is the red brick because it is hard to see it in the photos,,,,,,,,but'm saying paint it out.......or go it over with dry stacked stone.
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 9:58AM
karenforer
You can see the red brick in the second pic. It goes from the front door to the stepping stones and gravel as well as covering the three pillars supporting the roof.
   April 19, 2013 at 10:03AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
I see it now. Red brick walk is tough and can you take it out?
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 10:08AM
karenforer
I am sure it can come out.... Just more $$$.....instead of redoing pillars just paint the brick same tone as the trim?
   April 19, 2013 at 10:15AM
karenforer
Thanks for your comments..... Really helpful
   April 19, 2013 at 10:16AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
I would start by painting those details out. I saw the front door and you can easily remove the pair of doors and replace the pair of doors with a single door with 2 side lights. Less is more. Just edit the house.
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 10:25AM
You might stucco again and cover the brick pillars so all matches. I like the frosted glass garage doors and would also consider similar for the entry. How about one of the pivoting ones? They take more space than a single door, so you have room for the installation. Rough Hollow Parade Home 2010 Horseshoe Bay - Lake LBJ
   April 19, 2013 at 10:59AM
karenforer
So your suggesting restucco for the entire house frosted glass front and garage doors.... What are your thoughts for the driveway and brick pavers ( visible in photo 2)? Would u know if sandblasting old stucco off is necessary before applying new smooth stucco?
   April 19, 2013 at 11:06AM
North Star Stone
You have a great home! If you decide to keep the stucco, you could pair it with a stone veneer for an updated, natural look. You could custom color your stone veneer to match the shades in the stucco. Here's a few examples of this:

Exterior Stone Siding With Stucco 1
Exterior Stone Siding With Stucco 2

The stone veneer also pairs well with hardie board, over brick, etc.

Exterior Stone Siding and Hardie Board 1
Exterior Stone Siding and Hardie Board 2

You could also use the stone veneer to update the brick supports in the front of the house. Hope that helps- let us know if you have any questions!
2 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 12:17PM
Buckner Construction Inc.
If you are going to install new stucco you should remove the older stucco and start over. This will insure a system that is warranted and done to current building codes and standards. I would not suggest sand blasting because it is normally used for prepping and cleaning surfaces not for removing materials. Have fun, it looks like a nice place!
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 1:19PM
karenforer
Thanks.....curious, how is it removed if not sandblasted?
   April 19, 2013 at 2:08PM
Ironwood Builders
Stucco is removed with a mini grinder, hammer, wrecking bar, wire cutters and lots of muscles. Safety precautions include eye protection, ear protection, lung protection, gloves and long sleeves.
1 Like   April 19, 2013 at 3:01PM
saltywisps
I would update your plant palette. you can really add some color and modernize the look with a variety of grasses and flowering plants. A few suggestions are attached below.
3 Likes   April 19, 2013 at 5:59PM
karenforer
Thanks to everyone who sent their ideas........can't wait to move in.......
   April 20, 2013 at 2:23PM
Really dislike our 1970's split entry home - Ideas needed! Please help!
We have a split entry home. There are so many features...
Any ideas for landscaping my front of my home
I would like a pretty much low cost colorful and not...
Ideas to update my new home.
Need some ideas to update some areas of my house.
Advice on my new spanish home
I am currently building a Spanish/ranch style home...
Need help with the center island countertop
I have emrald green (blackish green) granite countertop...
how to bring outdoors in when there is no patio or yard .....
We live in very bright loft style townhouse, vaulted...
need help with siding colors
house has a hunter green roof, stone front porch and...
New apt...please help with living room design
Just moved into new apt and buying furniture piece...
Can I have white trim and natural solid wood doors?
I have brown trim and solid knotty alder wood doors...