Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vandacairns

Please help re-decorating my family room !

vandacairns
11 years ago
Can you please give me some advice on the following. Advice on fabric for couches and chair (also pillow colours), type of table, fireplace decorating ideas, what to put on walls and lamps/lighting..... hope this isn't too much to ask..... simply any good advice would be great :) THANK YOU !

Comments (7)

• vandacairns
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I forgot to mention.... I would like to know what colour scheme would be nice (for couch recovery)
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    11 years ago
    That room looks a little dark/cold. I would put some warmer color on the walls, go cream with the sofas, accessorize with color. And I'd add some good lighting fixtures into place.

When you're ready to look at art, take a look at my work. I have hundreds of configurations of canvas prints and original art: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Good luck!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Are you buying new couches? if so, scale down the size. I'd try a sofa and two small scale chairs. They can flank the FP or sit together in the window with a table between them. Are you renting or can you paint? Once you've picked out a fairly neutral sofa (steer clear of brown or black leather ones and try gray, maybe) select a colorful palette for your room. The walls above the wainscot will really be key to enhancing your space with color. Don't go for matchy-matchy tables. Keep them interesting and varied but the same height for end tables.
    One or two table lamps and one floor lamp should do it. Like your mirror at the FP but it isn't reflecting anything but the opposite wall, so that wall needs a Wow to reflect in the mirror - art that is large enough to show in the mirror when both are hung. Stationary drapery panels hung floor to ceiling over fabric or fiber roman shades will add more warmth to your space.
    Highfield Road Living Room · More Info
    Modern living · More Info
    Bergen Street Residence · More Info
    Kalimar Homes- Aspen · More Info
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Seeley Media Room · More Info

this pic submit for furniture/tv arrangement and see the built ins on either side of the fireplace
    Where your TV is at present the wall can be decorated with photos as shown in the inspiration pic.
    something to consider. What don't you like about the inspiration pic?
  • vandacairns
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    decoenthusiaste - Thank you .... I love your comments. I am not buying new sofas but the 2 that are actually going in there are not bulky. (the chair that is covered by a throw in the photo is also being recovered). I am having them re-upholstered once I decide on the fabric. I understand it might be cheaper to buy new, but my dad is an upholsterer :). The TV is on the end and the room is long and narrow and we use this room a lot so we need to be able to sit and face the television. I definitely think a big piece of art on the other wall sounds great to reflect in the mirror ! Also ... I just painted :( ..... went light because the room is so dark
  • vandacairns
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    P.S. The inspirations pic is beautiful !
  • Eric Ford
    11 years ago
    I would leave the wainscoting and paint the upper half a beige color. Also I would remove the paint from the brick fire place. Also I would scale down the sofa and eliminate one. Also remove the chair and tv the space is to small for these items instead put pictures and accent furniture. Build a bench by the window for extra seating and put pictures up above the one couch.

Hope this helps