Feeling Awkward!!
cuppajoylady
Hi, This room is awkward! The front NORTH window is centred on the wall, but the wall also contains the front door. There is a railing by the front entry that is part of the living room. I NEED SOME DESIGN/DECORATING help!! The paneling is coming off, and the drywall will be painted. What wall color and room arrangement would you suggest? The room only gets North Light. I'd like the room to feel warm and inviting, yet fresh and light. The carpet is beige and we have cork in sight from the living room. {I currently have MOREL (Beautitone) on the window/piano walls and JAMESBORO GOLD (Benjamin Moore) on the paneled walls.}
houssaon
It seems that the two chairs would be better in front of the window and the sofa with its back to the railing. Then the TV could go on the wall where the chairs are now.

Or you could move the piano to the wall where the chairs are now, move the TV to where the piano is and flank the two chairs on either side of the sofa in front of the window.

For color, I would go with a sunny yellow, like Hawthorne Yellow hc-4 Benjamin Moore, Honeymoon AF-345 Paint, or Weston Flax HC-5 by Benjamin Moore

Add more color in the pillows for a look like this: Creed

Facing north you could go with an orange like Flamingo Orange: Greenlake Custom Home
April 19, 2013 at 3:20PM     
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
The room itself is cool...its your big chairs that are awkward and out of place. You need smaller, tighter, more stylistic upholstery or chairs and furnishings for that wall.
April 19, 2013 at 3:55PM     
jhperree
If it were my room...
I'd place the piano where the two chairs are, but centered.
Love seat in front of rail on left side of window.
Chairs with square table on right side of window where love seat is now.

Use back wall for chest, artwork, other items.
April 19, 2013 at 4:01PM     
claudiann
I think the chairs need to be split up. One would look good where the tv is at an angle. Put the tv where the chair is. I think a darker color on the walls would look nice.
April 19, 2013 at 7:15PM   
deberino
Having had a similar north facing room. Yellow or warm tones are the way to go. I originally painted it blue and we never wanted to use it.
April 19, 2013 at 7:21PM     
decormaster13
I'd suggest centering your piano to the wall where your chairs are and put one table lamp on piano. Mount and center your TV over the piano. Use a vertical to make the room appear larger and to filter light. you can get a color that is closest to your furniture, I not sure if your color is green or gray. Mover loveseat to window and chairs and dark wood square table to where piano was and center. Do away with all round tables, TV stand and beige table. Add smaller square brown wood coffee table in front of sofa. Large vertical art work between chairs but center to wall. This will allow you to walk into the living room and not your living room walk into you! Floor lamp where TV was and plant next to floor lamp. Place cross over closet door, center to middle line of doors. Move your computer
table out from corner and place after two chairs as far apart as possible. I'd look at the many facets of whites or beiges as a color that will brighten and add space to the room.
Good Luck! For really good tips, go to www.smashword, look for e-book Interior decorating on the cheap!
April 20, 2013 at 8:26AM   
Kathleen McDougall
The chairs are way too big to be placed where they are. Keep the panelling, paint the doors white, replace the spindles with a pony wall, paint yellow or orangey tone to pick up the cork colour.
April 20, 2013 at 8:33AM     
solraven
Do you have the dimensions of this space? The furniture seems like it was bought for a more square shaped room and this room is a long rectangle.
April 20, 2013 at 11:27PM   
Dean Cerneka
Your right to want to redo this room. It's a confused selection of style, colour, furnishings from different periods and a lack of light, lighting and desired colour. My broad advice is to replace the curtains with translucent draping (allow more natural light through). De- clutter, consider using a single colour theme for walls and furniture with perhaps a darker matching colour for one wall. Consider also spending a little money on wall lights and some led down lights that are dimmable. Creates a wonderful mood. It does depend on your desired outcome though. I would also paint the wood trim and doors and replace that side railing. Love to see the outcome
April 21, 2013 at 12:21AM     
starsmack
I think the most awkward part of that room is the beige wall behind the chairs. It seems like it's just there to create the feeling of separation between two rooms. But, there doesn't need to be a wall in order for rooms to actually be separate. Tearing it down would create the feel of more open space, and it would make things more symmetrical.
April 21, 2013 at 10:52AM     
Rachel
If nothing else, add a much larger piece of art behind the chairs or a collection of pictures/frames. That wold help a lot.
April 21, 2013 at 11:00AM   
Rare Bird
my living room is north facing and looks dark At the moment Im adding a dado rail all around the room with sunseed by dulex which is cream on the top and beehive which is a mustard yellow shade on the bottom ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,here s hoping it will bring warmth to a room which is hard to lighten up and still be warm
April 21, 2013 at 11:06AM   
solraven
If the left half of that wall could be taken out, it would really open the space up, and hopefully add light and brightness, from the kitchen. Being able to see some of the kitchen, from the front door is fine. I wouldn't want to take the entire wall out and be able to see straight through the kitchen.
April 21, 2013 at 1:36PM   
seibarb
Declutter is the word and place to start. Too much stuff. One of the first things I would do is paint all those doors off-white and paint trim as well. Maybe spindles on the railing white too or take railing down altogether and place a love seat where the railing is currently ...perhaps the piano could go on the wall where the 2 chairs are---and chairs could be placed opposite the sofa or loveseat. Drapes could be soft and white/cream. New pillows in some interesting complimentary prints and colors would do wonders.
April 21, 2013 at 2:44PM     
jg011011
I would move the sofa so it's back us to the railing. I would then position the 2 chairs in front of the window with the end table in between, coffee table in the centre of the room. I would mount the television on the wall that the chairs are currently on and put built in's on either side. Or just a nice tv stand with floating shelves on either side to fill that wall in.
April 21, 2013 at 3:00PM   
Replace the railing with a knee or pony wall that you have wired for your TV, allowing you to eliminate the chest of drawers. This will allow you more flexibility in arranging your space. If you want the TV somewhere else, at least the pony wall will give you more space to place furniture. I would want the piano on an interior wall for its health. I might put the two chairs on that wall, sofa in front of the window and piano where the chairs are now. living room Bergen Street Residence
April 21, 2013 at 3:07PM     
Entry windows ugly and feel awkward. HELP PLEASE!
Help Needed! What to do with the three windows around...
Super awkward room layout/fireplace
This is the living room of a house we are in the process...
Window treatments for awkward space
We have a small window that is slightly hidden behind...
Backsplash advice?
We recently put in this unique island. We love it with...
Wood floor stain issue!
We are having our floors stained with Bona Jacobean...
Curb appeal help!
We just bought this 1973 brick ranch and I don't know...
fireplace accent wall
I have a coral rock wall fireplace I want to paint...