Large open space- walls and island help!

emily996April 19, 2013
We just moved into a home with the living, dining, and kitchen together in one large room. I am aiming for casual, comfortable, warm and inviting. I love the feeling of light in this room and want to keep that for the most part.

I think I want a warm, medium neutral on the walls, and I bought paint samples today that I can post once they are up. Current walls are SW Navajo White (essentially an antique white). Should I use a darker paint on the island to ground it and help it not draw the eye? Maybe just picking the right stools will help if that half wall becomes the same medium tan as the walls. Any suggestions welcome there too.

Another problem is that the wall colors I like tend to blend in with the darn cabinets, and it's hard to find a tone that compliments them. We will see how my paint samples do when I get them up. I might run out to get more samples based on the responses here. The cabinets themselves are pretty, but they are making things hard on me. I am not up for the trouble (and cost) of repainting an entire house of yellow cabinets, although I certainly would never have picked them myself. I figured I would try to embrace the warmth and lightness. Maybe paint the large TV wall one shade darker than the other walls to give the cabinets contrast?

I created a similar post asking for advice on the kitchen backsplash, and it's relevant here too because it's visible from dining and living the way it's all so open. Thinking a white subway tile or a mini herringbone travertine.

What would you do with these walls?

I will try to get pics with furniture up soon too if it would help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emily996
I'd add that the "bumped up" part of the ceiling is painted glossy white, even the orange peel parts. I want to continue the wall color (or a shade darker/lighter or coordinating color depending on what you think) so that there is some interest up high there, leaving the actual trim/crown pieces white.

You can see what I was thinking in this pic, and it illustrates monotonous cabinet problem too. The swatch is the bench cushion fabric, not made yet.
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 12:37PM