What's missing in my bathroom?
dbrad708
I bought my house last year and have been trying to figure out how to decorate around the red vanity top in my bathroom. I have painted the walls from chocolate brown to this soft gray. I have also painted the builder basic oak vanity and added new knobs ( still looking for the right door pull ). Other than that, I have added new accessories. Is this working? What's missing?

Thank you!!
John Maxim
I think you're doing a fantastic job! Grey, red and white are a great combination. Love the rug!
April 19, 2013 at 4:04PM     
What don't you like? Can you pin point it? The only thing I would change is the shower curtain, to a solid white or off white.
April 19, 2013 at 4:05PM   
dianahb
I rather like the wall color; is it a greeny/gray? It looks like it on my screen; either way-- I think it goes well. Unless the wood beam goes with the rest of the house (beams throughout), it seems kind of heavy-handed. I assume it's load-bearing; if so, I'd probably paint it the ceiling color to make it recede some. I personally wouldn't use red or pink accessories, like the rug and the towels. Just let the vanity be. For me, the rug, towels, and shower curtain kind of clash. But I love the wall and cabinet color you chose. The curtain bothers me only in that it's too much of a graphic statement, with that rug-- plus, those broad horizontal color blocks echo the big broad beam-- and maybe not in a good way(?). I would paint the beam and simply get less graphic accessories-- a warm white maybe. Other than that, I think it's really nice-- easy to change out the accessories. These are just my opinions, from an untrained eye. ;)
April 19, 2013 at 4:07PM   
jhperree
Great job with the vanity top incorporation.
Go solid color towels all around, but blend colors from curtain and top. I.E: white towel, grey or reddish color wash cloth, white hand towels, grey or reddish wash cloths. Add vase with all colors represented in flowers/stems with a touch of greenery.

If you ever want to get rid of vanity top color...there is a product you can roll on and change top color.
April 19, 2013 at 4:13PM   
jhperree
Loose the rug. Go monotone white or grey...
Too much of bright color will overwhelm.

Try something fun with knobs.
April 19, 2013 at 4:15PM     
dbrad708
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!

olldbobbi - I think it just feels like I am trying to force it too much. I like all elements individually but wasn't sure if they worked together.

diana hb - Thanks for your suggestions! the wall color is Benjamin Moore Stone Harbor. The beams are load-bearing and are consistent throughout the house. I love them in all of the other rooms, but not in the bathroom. I had selected the shower curtain hoping the horizontal stripes would make the room seem wider as it is quite a small room.

jhperree - I didn't know there was a product to change the color of the vanity top - I may have to look into this!
April 19, 2013 at 4:41PM     
simplify52
I would change the rug to white and add fluffy white towels to the empty towel bars. I like the shower curtain.
April 19, 2013 at 4:57PM   
dianahb
dbrad708: Well, I think the Stone Harbor works great. And if you have those beams throughout, then it fits obviously-- but I know what you mean about having it in the bathroom. I love your mirror, too. And if you want it to seem wider, maybe you could put a mirror on the opposite wall as well (?)-- though I don't know. Lots of mirrors make me totally disoriented, plus you can't make a turn without seeing yourself-- but I think mirrors do make a room seem bigger. Anyway-- I like the space and love the wall color. Really-- going with a warm white for accessories will make all the difference. For me, large graphics in a small room don't make it seem bigger. Maybe horizontal stripes are supposed to make a person or space seem wider, but--honestly-- I think that's one of those visual things that only works if you're not a very visual person. ;)
April 19, 2013 at 4:59PM     
dbrad708
Thanks so much everyone - your suggestions are really helpful!
April 19, 2013 at 5:26PM     
Virtus Design
You have a done a great job so far working around the red vanity top. My only suggestion would be to use solid colored hand towels. Love the color scheme!
April 19, 2013 at 5:31PM   
anitajoyce
Looks great to me also!
April 19, 2013 at 5:47PM   
winterriver
Might be a silly question, but why not simply replace the red vanity top if you don't like it.
April 19, 2013 at 5:49PM   
anthip
I think it looks great. Some minor things:

I agree to use solid red hand towels-I think they'd look more luxurious. Then use big white fluffy bath towels on the other wall.

Can you paint the beam white with a soft gloss finish? I think it would lighten the room up.

Get rid of the nail varnish display and replace with bathroom canisters and jars. Maybe one red, some clear glass and a couple of mercury glass pieces.
April 19, 2013 at 5:59PM   
Annette Vusich
I love the red top - don't change it - I agree though solid towels would look better - I would go with white - instead of the brown basket holding the tp how about a white basket - would look fresher
April 19, 2013 at 6:07PM   
Missing pieces of my bathroom faucets - how to replace?
I've sent an email to the Cleveland Faucet Group asking...
bathroom idea - what's missing? wrong? Feedback welcomed!!
something appears off with the bathroom outlook but...
what color for wall and quilt for my bedroom, what I miss?
hello Need some help to redo my bedroom I want to...
what is my room missing?
its a pink dancer's world, I want it more dreamy and...
what is my room missing?
Kitchen tiles . Please help
Hi everyone We r remodeling our kitchen and the contractor...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Craftsman Living Room/Dining Room Help
This post replaces my request for suggestions in hiring...
Dark paint problem
I have painted our music studio a dark grey recently...