Need help with remodeling this kitchen
mhern213
Cabinets on the inside are in great shape, but as you can see old and dated, this is mobile home so don't want to spend to much, not sure if I should have cabinets refurbished or just replace doors, also I will be replacing appliances with stainless steel/black appliances any suggestions for counter surface. Floors are being replaced with hand scraped 12 mil cherry flooring. Also need to find the perfect cafe table for the corner, with just two chairs. Also, walls are all being Drywalled so will not have old panels, thanks, look forward to your suggestions,
Jodie Hamilton
Slightly off white/cream color cabinets with the wood floors. If you can do without them I'd remove some upper cabinetry and replace with open shelving. Looks too heavy on top. Brushed nickel hardware too. :0
April 20, 2013 at 4:24am     
For your upper cabinets, just remove the doors altogether and use the boxes as open shelving. I did this in my kitchen and I love the look, and the convenience. You could even find a wallpaper you love and use it on the back wall of the cabinets, this will add interest and make it look custom. For the lowers, I would just have new doors made.
April 20, 2013 at 4:27am     
mhern213
Thank you so much for your comments and advice. We will be taking out the vent over the range and will install a new microwave. Do you think instead of opening up a cabinet or two, I could instead have glass doors? I was also thinking the cabinet door on the bottom cabinets to the left of the range, I could open up and use some wicker baskets slide-ins. Thank you so much. I will take any advice offered. I will go with the off-white, although I was originally thinking of white/white cabinets, what style doors do you recommend?
April 21, 2013 at 2:54am   
Glass doors will be fine! And Shaker style doors are timeless. For the new microwave over the range, most mfg's require a 30" clearance between the top of the range and the bottom of the microwave. From the pics it doesn't appear you have that much, taking the size of the microwave into account. You may have to adjust your upper cabinets in that spot.
April 21, 2013 at 2:57am   
mhern213
What do you recommend for the space that will be left once we take out the cabinet and install the microwave, or do you have a visual for me to see what I should expect? Thank you.
April 21, 2013 at 4:58pm   
The way ours was done (badly) was they just cut the cabinet above the microwave/hood in half. This gave me 11" of clearance when code AND mfg specs say no less than 30". (This was a flipped house, don't get me started !). After we threatened to file a complaint with the CSLB, they came out and removed the microwave/hood and just installed a regular plain old hood under the cut cabinet.

That would be my suggestion to you, is to cut that upper cabinet in half, but before you go thru all that measure and make sure you will have the required 30". If you find out you won't have 30", install a regular hood, or just keep the one you have now. Or, you could remove that cabinet altogether and install a really large hood like this: [houzz=
]

I like the glass cabinet doors in that picture!
April 21, 2013 at 5:08pm   
mhern213
Perfect
April 22, 2013 at 4:34am     
Jayme H.
Just a suggestion: Is your vent currently vented to the outside? If it is, I recommend another outside vented fan of some sort. I have had both and the non-vented ones with the charcoal just don't do a great job...greasy buildup can become a problem.
April 22, 2013 at 4:58am   
mhern213
Not sure, I'll check.
April 24, 2013 at 3:32pm     
Need help with kitchen remodel and attaching great room remodel
Northwest rustic riverside cabin/house: now full time...
Kitchen remodel -- Need help updating small dark kitchen
Need help updating small U-shaped kitchen. We're willing...
Help!!! We're remodeling and need help with living room/kitchen
We're on a budget :( Everything cost more than we planned...
Need help on Kitchen and Bathroom remodel HELP PLEASE
Please help me with my kitchen and bathroom. In the...
Need help remodeling kitchen
What is recommended - quartz or granite for countertops?...
House Exterior Paint & Siding Questions..
Wife and I are planning to repaint our 1966 home and...
Need help on multiple tile designs!!
We are ripping out our carpet in the bedrooms and our...
exterior lights
May be a silly question, but I'm going to be putting...
Need help for color on throw pillows
Gray leather sofa. Suggested colors for this room with...