Need help: revamp of quad area between security gate and front door.

katapiApril 20, 2013
Hi. I need help to revamp my quad area. (Photo taken from the front door towards security gate) You can see an ugly gate, as well as old see-through bricks. I need a change here for the inside of the quad, as well as the outside from the street view.
Also, what to do with the inside of the quad area? Grass? Tiles? Modern fountain? Plants? I don't have a clue.
I want to be able to make a change myself (DIY), without using contractors, as well as keeping costs low. Any suggestions?
Mari O'Connor
I would power spray it, getting rid of the green scum. I would set it up with comfortable seating, using it as an outside patio. Granted, this looks like it's in Florida, where one can sit outside for about 1 month of the year without being too hot or too wet. Maybe paint the see-through bricks a fun color (red, blue, green??) to add some color and fun to the spot. Try to tie in the color with the new furniture or from colors on the house.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 5:39AM
houssaon
I think you should clean the brick with Muriatic acid. See: http://ask.reference.com/web?q=How%20To%20Clean%20Bricks%20With%20Muriatic?&o=100100

I would paint the gate a shinny bold blue and add colorful pots of annuals.
beverly hills peck - · More Info
,
Jill Asher · More Info

A small ornate iron table and chairs would make this a great place to have a drink:
Lake Home Exterior · More Info

I think the see through bricks are very much in keeping with the style and would not change them other than cleaning them.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 5:45AM
great ideas from houssaon. Some colorful pots and flowers would add some life to this space.
    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 6:02AM
Brenda
What a great space to work with! I think you can make it really charming.

I would love to see black iron in that space. So the security door could be painted black, and buy a black iron table and chairs -- maybe a lounger if there is room. Black light fixture and house numbers. Pick a "theme" for all the plant pots and stick to it. Terracotta is the easiest choice and probably what I would choose to help integrate the see through brick feature. And go large with the pots & NO plastic. Maybe buy a few plant stands (in black iron of course) so that you can group plants together and have some higher then the others.

And if you want a punch of color, do it with your chair cushions, pillows, and outdoor tableware.

I would leave the terracotta see through bricks as is for now -- I think they are going to look much better when you have a cohesive theme working in the area. But if budget allows later, you could replace them with some kind of black iron decorative (and functonal) railings.
    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 6:05AM
leelee
The easiest thing that would give an immediate impact is to pressure wash your brick. Then purchase 5 or 7 or more large pots and add different colors and kinds of folliage. Place them in groups near gate entrance and around. You could include vines that would cover the whole gate area rather quickly. Luckily, your area is small so you can easily have a very lovely area. Of course, replacing your gate with a wrought iron would add class. You could paint the white a brick color but I'd want to see how the clean pressure washed brick looks first. Get big planters either in terra cotta or go for tropical colors bright blue and turquoise. Vary the heights of the planters Include plants like bamboo, tall grasses, and in the tall pots use trailing vines. Add bougainvillea and mandevilla in yellows and pinks. Wow, looks good already!
    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 6:25AM
Sharon
I'm with ^ Brenda. Black wrought iron outdoor setting, paint the security gate black, you could paint the see through bricks black too. Then lots plants of different heights with a great fragrance. They can be in pots or planters. Having some fairy lights at night would be sweet. I'd happily read the paper in this secret little garden!
Blackwell · More Info
    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 6:25AM
leelee
Forgot the pictures...
    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 6:27AM
leelee
gates...
    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 6:32AM
leelee
gate
    Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 6:32AM
gladagain
Also build yourself a couch with pallets and have some foam cushions made for it, then you can sit out there with your lemonade and a good book. This after you paint the gate black ok.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 6:04PM
Greenblott Landscape & Interiors
If your threshold heights work for door access, try a layer of DG (decomposed granite)...will change the look & feel of your space completely.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:27PM
pcmom1
I don't think the gate is ugly. And the see thru bricks would not be so noticeable if they were painted to match the wall.

Looks like a great spot to relax in.
Private Residence, Cupertino · More Info

Kanae Lot 1 · More Info
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:34PM
lwallwork
The gate could look great painted black and with the addition of a black painted panel attached to the centre of it - maybe something with the wrought iron look or alternatively something that increases the privacy. I think the big opening of the gate conflicts with the courtyard feel of the space. I hope you put up after pictures as it will be a lovely area.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 7:46PM
pcmom1
If you really would like more privacy, changing door to a wooden one (local artisan!) would be great.
London Residence · More Info

Woodside Estate · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 9:16AM
I need entry way ideas.
So I just moved into my home and am just overwhelmed...
Sarah Foti-Taege
Need landscape ideas for backyard
We had a pool installed last summer and need landscaping...
ashleyoden
Need to redo the fireplace! So outdated. Help please!
Should we paint the brick? Or cover it? What colors...
hellotara
my front entry needs help!
I bought a turquouse cabinet that I love and have had...
Candace Adkins
Ugly metal door needs a makeover
We bought this little house in Mexico last spring,...
Meralon Drader
Help needed on seating furniture
We are planning to buy sectional for this room not...
Chikha Vasquez
Need Help with Master Bath
We're updating an 80's bathroom. Not changing tub...
favoritedog
What to do? Help!
I don't know what to do with this ugly Bedford limestone...
mdt57
help with concrete slab
so I removed the rust small shed from the backyard,...
belleandlucy
Sponsored Products
DENY Designs Khristian A Howell Brady Dots 2 Duvet Cover - 12997-DUWKIN
$199.00 | Hayneedle
Bungalow Flooring Door Mats Boxwood Evergreen 24 in. x 36 in. Monogram E Door
$59.97 | Home Depot
Blue Wave Easy-In Pool Entry System
Beyond Stores
Nantucket Door Set with Savannah Crystal Knob - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware
White Washed Picket Fence Roll
$29.99 | zulily
Camaflexi Panel Headboard Twin over Twin Low Bunk Bed - C2021NT
$853.51 | Hayneedle
Dark Brown Aqua Shield Half-Oval Diamonds Mat
$34.99 | zulily
National Public Seating Portable Stage w/ Hardboard 48W x 96L x 32H Portable Sta
Beyond Stores