Stripping caulk off drywall?
kimdee24
Before I get too far into this, I think I need some advice. How do I get this caulk off between the wall/sink without wrecking the drywall? I need to strip this out so my wallpaper installer can do her thing. Tips? Tricks?
kimdee24
Crud. Photos...
April 20, 2013 at 10:13AM   
Scott Design, Inc.
Orange-Sol "Contractor's Solvent" will help to soften the caulk but anyway you approach it you will be digging into the sheetrock. Additionally, you will have to put some waterproofing caulk back with a neater touch otherwise you will get water into your wall not to mention what splashed water will do to your wall paper. Any thoughts about a splash guard?
April 20, 2013 at 11:11AM     
kimdee24
I'll try that. I just want to get it off with minimal damage if I can. I'm not sure what a splash guard is?
April 20, 2013 at 11:15AM   
Robin W
Think she means backsplash but for bathroom.

I just had this issue in the kitchen (yay previous owners!!! They were gems!) but I did it very carefully with a scraper. Took about an hour.
April 20, 2013 at 11:24AM   
kimdee24
My original thought was to tile the bump-out in the wall behind the sink where the plumbing is, but my designer thinks it best not to draw attention to it. So the plan (currently) is to replace that mdf cap with a granite topper, and to just wallpaper the entire wall, including the bump-out.

I never really thought about water splashes on the paper.
April 20, 2013 at 11:32AM   
Robin W
If you put a granite topper on, I don't think it would look too bad with tile below. It would def. have to be the 'right' tile, but I think it wouldn't look too bad as the granite would take the focus away from the tile mostly.
April 20, 2013 at 11:43AM   
Scott Design, Inc.
Putting granite on the top of the bump out will bring attention to it. I suggest you use a PVC product such as Azek or Kleer (solid white) and make a cap so it looks more like the woodwork... for that matter consider putting a PVC panel layout behind the sink and on the side of the bump out using 1/2" panel stock, 3/4 x 4 PVC boards and panel moldings. The PVC shelf can be routed to match the window or door molding. It is waterproof and paintable.
April 20, 2013 at 1:17PM   
kimdee24
@Scott Design -- thanks. I'm not familar with those products but I will look into it.

On another note -- Caulk Be Gone! DAP makes a silicone caulk remover, and it worked great. I got most of it cut out and then applied this, let it sit for two hours and the rest came out and off pretty easily. Minimal damage. So that was a win for today.
April 20, 2013 at 9:02PM   
Ironwood Builders
kimdee, I agree with Scott Design that wallpaper behind the sink is not the greatest, I'm just not wild about PVC or Azek. Both products are intended to be painted and though they are very durable in contact with water and are meant to hold paint, many sheetrock walls in bathrooms have endured for years with just paint as a protective coating. What are the chances you and your designer can figure out a tile feature wall that will work with both the granite topper and the wallpaper?
April 20, 2013 at 9:28PM     
kimdee24
It wouldn't be a big deal to tile back there, just a matter having a plumber pull the sink really. It wouldn't cost that much either, I don't think. My original thought was to tile that bump out, with the same tile that is in my other bath and kitchen. The granite I ordered is the same as my other countertops. And the wallpaper looks *sort of* like this one. I think it would work. I'll talk to my designer and see if maybe we could reconsider this.

April 20, 2013 at 9:39PM     
kimdee24
Orrrrr...maybe a tile that goes with the mirror.... hmmm!
April 20, 2013 at 9:56PM   
onthefence
What about a tile similar to the one you've shown above for 'contemporary powder room'? You get the brown shades and the white to tie in the sink?
April 20, 2013 at 10:10PM   
kimdee24
Laguna Lineal "Sand White"
April 20, 2013 at 10:16PM     
onthefence
Ohh myyyy! That's lovely ;-) I was curious and found a different shot of it as well. You probably saw this, but if not... http://www.stonewoodstore.com/ProductID5514
April 20, 2013 at 10:29PM     
kimdee24
I didn't! That's a better picture!
April 20, 2013 at 10:37PM   
Ironwood Builders
Yippee! I got the creative juices going!
April 20, 2013 at 10:58PM     
kimdee24
LOL! Good thing I'm getting a tax refund this year... hanging around here is going to bankrupt me! ;)

And at least I learned how to strip caulking. A skill every girl should have!
April 20, 2013 at 11:01PM   
onthefence
Well the Laguna Lineal certainly has MY vote. Man oh man that stuff is gorgeous!

And hey - look at all the gas $$ you've saved from not having to drive around to tile stores to find something that works ;-)
April 20, 2013 at 11:09PM     
Scott Design, Inc.
kimdee24 - thanks for the Dap info. Great looking mirror! It's such a great looking focal point that my reaction to a tile backdrop is that it would be a competitive element. The casual elegance of the mirror is so lovely that I can understand now why your designer wants to wallpaper everything. I would still avoid the dark granite topper, however.
April 21, 2013 at 7:11AM   
kimdee24
@Scott Design -- welcome! The thin stuff on the wall just wiped away with a rag, and the rest was soft enough to lightly scrape away. Didn't even take the paint off the wall. Glad I found it, the last time I did this, the wall was a mess. That stuff really sticks.

I am so in love with that mirror! The thing is, that the MDF cap that is there is not very nice, and barely a 1/2 inch thick with a narrow overhang and too hard to wallpaper and make it look good. So I'd either have to paint it dark or leave it alone... which would stand out even more... or replace it with something. I figured the granite was better, and it's dark so it will blend in... mostly. The bump out is there and needs to be considered, so the dilemma is either hide it with the paper or make it stand out with tile, and protect the wall...

I'm not.. overly... worried about *myself* getting water on the paper, it's more anyone else who might come along who isn't as careful as I am. I might have to pull the sink anyhow, because I'm not sure, even if went ahead with the paper, there is enough of a gap for her to get it in there and make sure it doesn't lift after it's caulked again.

And as always... I'm big on doing things "right!"

All great advice and I appreciate every bit of input from everyone. I will mull it over and speak with my designer and I know we'll come up with something, either way!

Thanks all! :)
April 21, 2013 at 8:00AM   
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Foyer decoe
I have a large 10"x8") niche in my foyer which is...
floor stain
anyone know how this floor stain is achieved?
Help wall colour needs changing!
I'm soon moving into a house with this lounge diner....
remodeling a current bathroom and considering a steam shower
Our master bathroom is too small for a big shower plus...