edejoras
I am renovating a powder room and a full bath. The question has to do with ceiling height.

In the powder room, the old/existing height is 7 feet. The ceiling, which is 5' x 5', currently has fluorescent lens that is about 56" x 56". I plan to install recessed lighting. When my contractor removed the fluorescent lens, we discovered the true ceiling height is about 6 inches higher. It presents the idea of having a tray ceiling which I have never considered before. So I guess the questions in my mind are: Is staying with the status quo, i.e. having a 7' foot tall ceiling, okay? I never felt that it was too low, but it is possible that the fluorescent lens gave the illusion of height. If I go with a tray ceiling: will a tray ceiling look good, or maybe even look weird, in a small bathroom; will it need special treatment like crown molding to look attractive, will it look too traditional or busy if I put crown molding? Note that I plan to have wainscoting.

The full bath, which is is a 5’ x 8’ room, also has an existing height of 7’ with fluorescent lens. I also plan to install recessed lighting there. I discovered the true height of the ceiling is a full foot higher than the fluorescent lens. The shower ceiling however cannot be raised so it needs to stay at 7’. So again, should I keep the original ceiling height of 7' for the entire bathroom? Or, should I raise the ceiling where it can be raised, thus having a bathroom with uneven ceiling (lower in the shower). Wouldn't that look weird?
poulet
We had the same situation in our kitchen and one of our bathrooms. We had it drywalled (it was that ugly cottage cheese ceiling, but it was actually stucco or else i would've scraped if off a long time ago). Put up crown moulding in white. My ceilings aren't painted white. i think white ceilings are a drag. i tend to paint the ceiling 1/2 strength of the paint of the wall. At least that's what we did in the kitchen and that bathroom. It does look very traditional, but if you have wainscoting--that's pretty traditional, right? will your wainscoting be white? if so, the crown moulding would look fabulous.
0 Likes   July 26, 2011 at 6:20PM
Need help where to begin
Getting ready to remodel a house built in 1995. I do...
laurab40
Window Film
Looking for a recommendation on window film. We have...
my1gmail
Dining Room/No Room for Sideboard
The width of my dining room won't support a server/buffet/sideboard....
katomommy
I misjudged furniture I bought online and can't return it...Help!
Can you suggest a way to recoup my investment? I purchased...
peggyjackson3
To paint or to Clean and refurbish the wood?
House built in 1903. What should we do, paint the posters...
vickie chaffin