Master Bath Design Help
Carla Harris
The room dimensions are approximately 13x14; this space must fit a large shower, double vanities, toilet and walk-in closet. This is a new build so we don't have to worry about moving drains, plumbing, etc.
Main Line Kitchen Design
Unfortunately you are a little light on the information needed to comment. A proposed floor plan for the floor the master bath is on would be the way to start.
April 20, 2013 at 1:47pm   
suzanne_m
We need to know where the windows are and where are the oustide walls.
April 20, 2013 at 4:19pm   
suzanne_m
Do you want a tub as well?
April 20, 2013 at 4:19pm   
Interiors International, Inc.
The room size seems fine we just need the info mentioned in the above posts.
April 20, 2013 at 4:23pm   
suzanne_m
We would also need to know where is the entrance of the bathroom and is it something fixed or can it be moved? Do you need storage (hampers, linen closet ...), would you like a make-up vanity?
April 20, 2013 at 4:30pm   
Carla Harris
Here is the layout the builder has proposed. I don't like the placement of the toilet. We don't need a tub.
April 20, 2013 at 9:31pm   
suzanne_m
I don't see the layout. Can you re-post?
April 20, 2013 at 9:33pm   
Carla Harris
Let me try again.
April 20, 2013 at 9:39pm   
Carla Harris
Sorry. I cannot get the scanned document to upload.
April 20, 2013 at 9:39pm   
kimdee24
Carla, they need to be in .jpeg or .jpg format.
April 20, 2013 at 9:41pm   
Carla Harris
Try again...
April 20, 2013 at 9:46pm   
suzanne_m
Carla, I have done a first draw. Let me know what you think and I will re-work it. I could not see all the text that was written on the builder floor plan so I just made some assumptions:
1) On your left when you enter, there is a linen closet
2) The space between the 2 sinks is a make-up vanity

In my plan, the linen closet has become a linen cabinet. I also added a door from the master bedroom to the closet. This will avoid to go through the bathroom to choose a different pair of shoes :)

Please, don't be shy to tell me what you don't like. I love making plans so I don't mind to re-do it all if necessary.
April 20, 2013 at 11:19pm   
suzanne_m
Oops, wrong picture:
April 20, 2013 at 11:22pm   
Main Line Kitchen Design
Hi Carla,

The whole house could be laid out better. Why put the entrance to the walkin closet in the bath? I would add a door in the master bedroom like Suzane did but maybe in the middle of the closet so you get his and her hanging space on both sides. I would close the entry in the bath, clothes will get moldy from the moisture.

In the kitchen why put the tall pantry and a deep refrigerator in the middle of the room jutting out? Also why is the hall closet in the master suit jutting in. Closets and pantries belong in the comer of rooms if they need to jut in out. This makes the rooms far more attractive and seem a lot larger. I could go on.

If you want to email me the first floor floor plan I will tweak it and email it back. It could be improved a great deal.

paul@mainlinekitchendesign.com

Cheers,
Paul
April 21, 2013 at 7:00am   
Carla Harris
Suzanne - you made the correct assumptions. I am not sure what you mean by a linen cabinet. Is it free-standing? How tall? Is this something I would buy, or is it available from the cabinet maker who will be doing the vanity? Also, it was actually my idea to have the closet opening from the bathroom. Although I like the idea of another door from the bedroom I will have to decide if it's worth giving up some of that valuable hanging space! Thanks for your help.
April 21, 2013 at 9:02am   
Carla Harris
Paul - great comments and I will have to re-think some of my ideas. My husband and I are on different morning schedules so I thought having the closet open directly from the bathroom would be less disruptive, but I certainly never thought about moldy clothes...yuck! I am also concerned about the layout of the kitchen, and would welcome any other comments or potential problems you see with the floorplan. I will take you up on your generous offer to look it over and tweak it. I will email it to you soon. Thanks!
April 21, 2013 at 9:06am   
suzanne_m
Main Line Kitchen Design, I was wondering if the entrance to the closet from inside the bathroom is closed when not in used, do you think there would still be a problem with the mold? I completely understand Carla having the idea a an entrance from the bathroom. It is very appealing.

Carla, yes I meant to say, it is a linen armoire that could be as high as you want and I believe that if you have a cabinet maker doing the vanity, he could very well build that armoire.

I made a new plan. I put the vanity side on the left and the closet on the right mainly to allow the 2 doors in the master bedroom to be a bit more distant.

Strangely enough, I made calculations of the effective linear ft of the closet given. It seems that the plan below gives you 15 ft 10 in. of hanging space compared to your original plan that gives you 15 ft 6 in. It is hard to believe when looking at it. I calculated it twice and I arrived at the same result. It would be interesting to see if you arrive with the same numbers. I believe, where I recover the space is that the width of the shower is 48 in. instead of 72 in. and I use 36 in. of wall for the width of the door beside the shower compared to 42 in. in your original plan.
April 21, 2013 at 9:46am   
suzanne_m
If mold is still an issue maybe if you move the door further away, it would be acceptable. The plan below gives you 15 ft 4 in. linear feet of hanging. I would think it could work because many people put linen closet in their bathroom which seems not to be a problem.

What do you think?
April 21, 2013 at 10:38am   
Carla Harris
Suzanne - I like both your ideas; I will show my builder and discuss the mold issue with him. Thank you!
April 21, 2013 at 4:05pm   
suzanne_m
Carla, I recalculated the linear ft in the last plan and I made a mistake, it was 15 ft in. In the plan below, I moved one of the 20 in. wall in the closet so it makes 15 ft 2 in. linear ft of closet.
I am no expert, so only a professional can tell you if this plan is building code or not. If you like this plan, I hope your contractor won't find too many errors.
April 21, 2013 at 5:53pm   
suzanne_m
Hi Carla, it's me again. I am very perfectionist and I always double check what I do and try to improve it. In the plan below, I shortened the angle wall, so you could install a hook for a towel beside the shower if you wish. By doing so, it gives you 16 ft 10 in. linear ft of closet. I also expanded the armoire from 36 in. wide to 39 in.
April 21, 2013 at 6:20pm   
suzanne_m
Carla, sorry ... I just can't resist. In the layout below, I centered the door with the make-up vanity and I changed the direction of the swing for the doors. What's make you decide if the door should swing inside or outside is you have to make it in a way that you won't hit someone when you open the door. Usually, you open it towards the room that is bigger. However in your case, your bathroom is spacious enough so I don't think you will hit your husband when you open the door. So I guess, you decide which way you want them to open.
April 21, 2013 at 7:23pm   
suzanne_m
Oops, I made a mistake. I allocated only 16 in. deep for hangers in the closet on the right side and the back of the closet. It should have been 20 in. deep. I also enlarged the door from bathroom to closet. I was 28 in. wide. I changed it for 30 in. It just feels more spacious. After recalculation, you have 15 ft 4 in. linear ft of closet.

Also I would recommend to swing all doors as shown in the plan below. Two reasons:
1) It is just more consistent. You won't get confused when you open one door one way then two seconds later open the second door the other way.
2) The main door for the bathroom won't compete for space with the door of the master bedroom.
April 21, 2013 at 10:53pm   
suzanne_m
One last note: Carla, If you show this layout to your contractor, can you let me know if there are things that are not to code. I would be really interested to know so I would avoid to make those same mistakes in the future. Thank you.

One last layout ... with seatings
April 21, 2013 at 11:42pm   
suzanne_m
Carla, I just noticed that you have a window on the back wall at 40 in. from the left. This means that the layout above will not work as you would have a part of your window in your shower. If you still like that layout, then I see you have 3 options:
1) use the first layout I have drawn but keep a low linen cabinet that goes under the window.
2) use the layout below. This gives you 14 liner of closet.
3) use the layout below with a 36 x 48 shower, it will give you 16 linear feet of closet.

Good luck,

Suzanne
April 22, 2013 at 3:55pm   
Need help with a Master Bedroom / Master Bath re-design!
Our home was built in 1977 and is a rancher style that...
Need help in designing a master bedroom with walk-in closet and bath
I have to squeeze a toilet closet, two sinks, a double...
Need design help a new master Bath
How big should be a master bathroom. I am building...
Need help designing new master bath, no tub, walk-in shower
This house we bought is 20 years old. Help .... We...
Need help in design of new master bath - too small!
We are buying home but bath is too small and outdated...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Which colours do you prefer for your kitchen?
'White kitchen' is one of the most popular search terms...
How do you accessorise your bed?
Some people love piling on cushions on their beds,...
Need help with dining room
I am currently using our garden furniture, not sure...
Let's play with my living room...
Hello,any suggestions for my living , choice of colour,all...