Ideas for siding
Tamara Whitney
I dislike the current look of our addition. We have a beautiful 1950's brick ranch, but the prior owners added this addition on and painted it yellow! It doesn't blend well at all. I need some budget friendly ideas for changing this. I would like to add a brick facade to the front and possibly white vinyl on the sides and back but I am not sure we can match the brick. Would a vinyl look okay next to the brick? And if so what color? Thank you!!!
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Tamara, please add another photo but "back-up" a bit so we can see the entire front of your home. I have a few ideas but want to make sure they work with the rest of your home. Thanks!
April 20, 2013 at 4:57PM     
Tamara Whitney
Will do Kevin, just excuse the current mess. We had to rip carpet out today and haven't gotten it hauled off yet!
April 20, 2013 at 4:58PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
No worries, this group is used to a "work in progress" it's how we roll
April 20, 2013 at 5:11PM     
Tamara Whitney
Please excuse the mess! We are doing a lot of work at the moment!!
April 20, 2013 at 5:11PM   
Tamara Whitney
It's a definite work in progress! We are adding to that retaining wall and having to remove a lot of tree limbs. We just purchased 3 months ago and the house had been empty for a few years.
April 20, 2013 at 5:13PM   
pamweston1
The problem is that the addition looks like an addition. If you can find a match for the brick that may help.
April 20, 2013 at 5:18PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Looks like you were losing the light for this photo! But it gives us a good idea of the general feel. Please don't apologize, we have all been there!
April 20, 2013 at 5:18PM     
Significant Buildings and Construction
Pamweston is right - the addition sticks out like a sore thumb. Vinyl will look ok, but you're still going to look directly at it because it looks different. My best advice is to cover that facade in brick (you can put vinyl on sides and back to save cost), and then paint the whole front of the house (meaning all the brick), so it looks uniform. Matching brick color is very difficult. I've attached an example of a cottage we just did because of the same issue.
April 20, 2013 at 5:38PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
If you can't match the existing brick EXACTLY, I would add battens to the plywood T1-11 siding (yellow walls) on the left side. Also, you might face the concrete retaining wall at the driveway with brick to match the house? New roll-up garage doors with a pergola/trellis over the tops to break-up the two story height. Here's some pics to help start the discussion.
April 20, 2013 at 5:48PM   
Tamara Whitney
That is my main issue with it, the addition sticks out! Any suggestions on a good company to find brick options?
April 20, 2013 at 5:49PM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
This is board & batten over T1-11 siding and trellis over garage doors.
April 20, 2013 at 5:50PM   
Tamara Whitney
We were thinking of doing a rock on the retaining wall? And adding black shutters to the whole house. Are you saying to bring the trellis out over the garage area?
April 20, 2013 at 5:55PM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
I would do a trellis over each garage door with knee braces to support like photo. Stone can work on the retaining wall but introducing another material makes things busy. If you can't find and match the exact brick, I would stain the concrete wall and get vines or ivy growing all over it! Regarding the yellow walls, it's OK to have a portion of the home look different. In fact, with new custom home design we try to design lager homes to actually "look" like they have been added onto over the years! I know that's "heady" design talk, but it can work in your favor!
April 20, 2013 at 6:25PM     
Tamara Whitney
I love the trellis idea - it would really break up the area some. And the staining with vines on the wall was something I had not thought of but love it! You guys are great! I have seen several homes with the addition look recently. Maybe it's just the yellow color that bothers me so much. I hate yellow!
April 20, 2013 at 6:32PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes the trellis is an easy DIY project and they would help break-up the tall two story height of that left side of your home. Look into concrete stains, it helps reduce the "drainage culvert grey" color of that retaining wall. Any suggestions from the thread on what vines or ivy could work here? Anyone? and yes, new colors to help get away from the yellow would be nice. You might look at the "board & batten" exterior wall treatment, VERY easy to install battens over the existing plywood T1-11 siding!!!
April 20, 2013 at 7:11PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
BTW I hope "ironwood" chimes in, he might have some thoughts!!
April 20, 2013 at 7:13PM   
Tamara Whitney
We have a ton of ivy at my parents home that could easily be transplanted here. I think that would really make the house stand out wonderfully once it grows in.
April 20, 2013 at 7:26PM     
Tamara Whitney
With the board and batten option would you suggest doing just the front and the side and back of the house cover in vinyl?
April 20, 2013 at 7:27PM   
Tamara Whitney
And one other thing - with the board and batten what color would go well with the brick? Sorry for all the questions!!
April 20, 2013 at 7:29PM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Some examples of board & batten walls looking like "additions" to the building! (The white walls)
April 20, 2013 at 7:34PM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
I'm not a real fan of vinyl siding! I would continue the plywood
T1-11 siding (board & batten) around the back and sides. I think the cost would be in your favor since I see it for exterior siding on barns and out-buildings, but price it out and see where the chips fall!
April 20, 2013 at 7:38PM     
Tamara Whitney
So, Kevin, these are new homes that added the board and batten looking addition purely for esthetic value? This would defiantly work in my homes favor!
April 20, 2013 at 7:39PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
As far as colors go, it's always a personal thing, but I would focus on exterior materials first, then throw it out to the "thread" for opinions. I have seen some great suggestions from houzz posts!!
April 20, 2013 at 7:41PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes, it's a "design" thing! I didn't do these homes, I found them on houzz, but if you go to the project photos on my profile you will see new homes where we introduce exterior wall materials to break up the bulk of the home or better yet make it look like the home was added on over the years! (this is stuff architects get excited about)
April 20, 2013 at 7:45PM     
Tamara Whitney
So many great ideas! I am thinking since the vinyl over the front porch is white I may just do white for the addition, or redo everything in a grey/blue? Can't wait to get this all started!
April 20, 2013 at 7:52PM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
You might look at houzz images "Ranch Style" exteriors and collect your favorite color combinations. Also, other houzz professionals will give you good direction as you define your exterior materials.
April 20, 2013 at 9:31PM     
jhperree
I'd go with darker grey color and bring that color over to door for balance.

Unless! Bold move.....paint stripes alternating brick color and grout color.
April 20, 2013 at 9:40PM     
Ironwood Builders
Kevin, thanks for the props! I'm really flattered. Tamara...have you established a budget for the facelift? I have a couple of ideas that may help...The first is that the addition is taller than most of the facade and needs to be broken up horizontally...so strip the brick of the existing facade off down to the bottom of the windows and then use the sill detail of the brick to continue the line of the brick into the new addition. Finding a brick that matches will be almost impossible so...horror of horrors!...find a brick the right size (size is very important when laying brick) and install it on the front of the addition to match the old...then paint it all to match...urrrgh! Can't believe I just wrote that! Above the brick, across the entire facade, use Kevin's board and batten idea...that can then carry around the back.

The second idea is less radical. Because part of what you notice about the two sections of house is a depth difference, matching the depth of the brick on at least part of the addition will help mitigate the issues. So furr out the face of the addition symmetrically around the garage door (match the depth of the brick) to the height of the floor on the porch and place a water table on it (a water table is a sloping wood piece that sheds water from siding). Land Kevin's board and batten on the water table and beside the left hand build out. Then paint the build out a deep grey, like the first of Kevin's "additions" photos. Paint the board and batten a similar color to the brick...barn red? With white trim. The fat trim around the garage door creates a step back in depth and adds weight to the bottom of the addition, grounding it. To be honest...I think this is not the best solution (I really prefer the more expensive idea). I'll sleep on it and maybe wake up with another solution in the middle of the night!

Here is an example of breaking up a facade horizontally...
April 21, 2013 at 1:34AM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Thanks ironwood for joining the discussion. We seem to be on the same page in regards to existing brick! Tough to match "exactly" unless they get real lucky! And yes "board & batten" looks better than vinyl siding!
April 21, 2013 at 8:48AM     
Ironwood Builders
I woke up without a clue...probably because I was up so late houzzing! Your dilemma will sit in the back of my mind all day....but it may just stay there!
April 21, 2013 at 12:16PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
It might help to get more pics of all sides? In more light?
April 21, 2013 at 2:30PM   
Empress of The Eye Pillow Collections
Yikes! Change the outdoor lights and make them bigger and at the same height.
April 21, 2013 at 2:38PM     
Ironwood Builders
BTW, Kevin...I came from the Midwest...and vinyl siding was the bane of my existence...never again!
April 21, 2013 at 2:41PM     
new siding ideas
We will be residing this home we recently purchased....
HelpNeed vivid lawn ideas 4 either side garage driveway front of house
Elderly couple. Want front area leading to our garage...
Building a house with hardie timber bark siding-Ideas on shingle color
Looking for suggestions on what color shingle to put...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Need brooklyn interior decorator suggestions
I am looking for an interior decorator to help choose...
What color carpet to do with gray walls??
What color carpet would look nice with gray walls?...
Living room dilemmas! I need suggestions
I've been struggling since I moved into our condo with...
What is this faucet?
I'd like to know if anyone can identify this faucet....