This vent... is driving me insane!
kimdee24
This is where my overhead range exhaust hood vents outside. Well, actually it's my neighbour's, but mine is the same. When the wind kicks up like tonight (gusting to 60km out of the NW), this thing bangs open and closed like crazy and makes a heck of a racket. I've had the builder adjust it more than once, I think they put some foam on it and reattach a spring or something so it wouldn't be as noisy -- and it's better -- but there must be something that can be done so the flapper thing doesn't catch the wind. I'm told they've done all they can do. The kitchen and great room are one big space, so this thing is really annoying.

Is there an answer for this?
HI -- I think there are vents that pop open only when the vent fan is turned on. Check with a hardware store .
April 20, 2013 at 8:00PM   
kimdee24
I found this: http://www.imperialgroup.ca/generalventing.cfm?c=227 but I'm not sure if that would fit over top of the vent the way that they've sided around it and the j-channel and whatnot.

I'm about ready to go out there and glue the thing shut!
April 20, 2013 at 8:18PM   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
The better option is to have the vent installed on the roof as the ducting is muffled by the insulation in the attic. This reduces the metallic resonation from the flapper, a little late now though.
April 20, 2013 at 8:23PM     
kimdee24
Agreed, that would have been much better, but yeah, too late now. And I would lose my upper cabinet. There must be something I can do about this.
April 20, 2013 at 8:58PM   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Kim, how about putting a thin piece of door weatherstripping either on the flap edge where it meets the opening, or around the opening edge itself?
April 20, 2013 at 9:01PM   
kimdee24
Norm... I think... they might have done that already. But I'll check and see.
April 20, 2013 at 9:04PM   
jhperree
Easy fix...hang a fern in front of it, place adhesive foam tape on flap to stop noise.

Or....have larger cover box built and have sided same as wall. Will look like a bump out, not a vent.
April 20, 2013 at 9:04PM     
kimdee24
A fern?
April 20, 2013 at 9:17PM   
Ironwood Builders
kimdee, the vent you found would work well...just that the vinyl siding will need to be re-worked around the new size. Call the builder and see if they can help with this... Waiting for a landscaping windbreak to grow will take too long...but then you are moving to South Carolina soon anyway, right? You just need to get some sleep now and then! BTW..do you do website design?
April 21, 2013 at 12:03AM     
kimdee24
@Mr Ironwood -- Thanks, I will show that vent to my builder and see if they're willing to replace it for me. I'd even pay for it, if they'd bring back the siding installers to re-work the siding. If not, my brother can do it for sure. It really is loud enough to wake the dead at times, even the dog gets wigged out by it.

South Carolina... California... tough choices. But I know more people in CA, so... *when* I move, maybe I'll teach you to golf! As for web design -- I've only built one ever and that was my own, and like the carpenters house...well, let's just say it hasn't been updated in five years probably. I think I've forgotten how.

Are you in the market for a site?

ETA: by the by... I was reviewing specs for the light industrial building my brother and I will be constructing for our family business, and as it happens, one of the contractors on the job is Ironwood Building Systems... not you obviously... but the name jumped out at me!
April 21, 2013 at 8:16AM     
Ironwood Builders
Yes, I picked the name about 18 years ago and now can't get a domain name using the straight company name....too many out there. I incorporated five years ago and same issue...ended up calling the corporation Dog & Truck Productions, Inc. and using a DBA for Ironwood...the dog and truck thing is a nose thumb at all the bigger firms that bitch about me! I lost my dog to cancer last year...but he was always willing to get in the truck for a ride...right up to the end.
April 21, 2013 at 1:26PM     
Ironwood Builders
I am NEVER wearing plaid pants!
April 21, 2013 at 1:27PM     
Scott Design, Inc.
Hi David of Ironwood, My daughter is an architectural grad student out of Arizona State University. She has not been able to find a job at this point in an architectural firm or in project management where she is located...Hawaii (I could think of worse places!). As you know construction of new housing has been very limited in this economy. So she has been using her architecture, art and design talent to build websites. If you are interested, I can get her contact info and you can check into it.
April 21, 2013 at 1:42PM     
kimdee24
I would never try and make you wear plaid pants. I promise! (LOL!!!)
April 21, 2013 at 1:51PM     
nasmijati
Hi David of Ironwood (sounds so posh!). It seems to me that Scott Design, Inc. might be an angel being sent to you. All the best to you and for you, sir. :)
April 21, 2013 at 1:52PM     
Ironwood Builders
Scott Design...sure! send me her contact info! I posted somewhere else that I'm as busy as a one armed paperhanger...need to delegate!
April 21, 2013 at 1:56PM     
Scott Design, Inc.
I'm not sure how to make this work but typical screen mesh (what you would find in screen doors, porches, etc) reduces wind velocity (creates drag) while still allowing air to pass through. Since the air from the hood is travelling slower than a gust of wind, the exhaust process should not be affected by the screen. Would your contractor be willing to test this out by taping a piece of screening over the opening. There may be enough drag to minimize the slapping along with his weatherstrip cushioning around the damper. Here's the rub...if it works, then he would need to figure out how to make this a permanent condition.
April 21, 2013 at 2:08PM     
Jayme H.
I would sell tickets to get him into plaid pants!! LOL
April 21, 2013 at 2:37PM   
Jayme H.
idk..but this looks suspiciously like David!! Sorry..cut his head off!!
April 21, 2013 at 2:41PM     
kimdee24
@Jayme -- Good luck! I can't get involved in this. I promised!
April 21, 2013 at 3:37PM     
Ironwood Builders
Jayme...for my favorite charity? Yeah, I'd do it. Ten minutes, tops, then back in my jeans and boots....and the white shoes and belt...not even on the table.
April 21, 2013 at 3:39PM     
Linda
OK...how about a Hawaiian shirt?!?
April 21, 2013 at 3:50PM     
Ironwood Builders
I think the Hawaiian shirt would set off the plaid nicely....like set them off as in fireworks! Holy crap! I might spontaneously combust!
April 21, 2013 at 3:54PM     
Jayme H.
@Ironwood...LOL!!! Would never want to see a friend wear anything that would make them uncomfortable..but u prob. could wear those well!!
April 21, 2013 at 4:00PM   
Ironwood Builders
Would plumber's crack be cool with the plaid and Hawaiian shirt?
April 21, 2013 at 5:08PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
kimdee, just looking at the photo of that vent made me insane then I lost my lunch. I feel your pain
April 21, 2013 at 5:13PM   
kimdee24
Since you'd already be clashing like crazy, I think the plumber's crack would only help to complete the ensemble.
April 21, 2013 at 5:14PM     
Jayme H.
Plumber's crack isn't all bad...depends who it's on!! LOL
April 21, 2013 at 5:19PM   
kimdee24
@Jayme - that is correct!
@Kevin -- ohh, not worth losing lunch over! I can deal with it's aesthetics, if only it would shut the heck up!
April 21, 2013 at 5:21PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Got it, should have followed the thread! Guess I came to the party late and started complaining about the bean dip! Try and get some sleep!
April 21, 2013 at 5:31PM     
kimdee24
No worries, Kevin! Seems we've hijacked my own thread for a bit of fun and chit chat. All's quiet on the vent hood front today -- no wind!!
April 21, 2013 at 5:33PM     
Jayme H.
And leave it to me to lead a thread astray inappropriately...can't help myself.
April 21, 2013 at 5:34PM     
kimdee24
That's what we love about you, Jayme!
April 21, 2013 at 5:44PM     
Jayme H.
@kimdee..thanks..i love u guys too...I admit to a naughty streak...!!
April 21, 2013 at 6:12PM     
Robin W
If you find a solution please post. Mine does it too.

I meant for the hood fan... not the Hawaiian shirt vs plaid pants. Two things that were never ever ever meant to be worn together. Ever.
April 21, 2013 at 6:23PM     
Jayme H.
except on Halloween!!
April 21, 2013 at 6:30PM     
Robin W
Well... It'd have to have a great hat to match.
April 21, 2013 at 6:53PM     
Ironwood Builders
On a bet for charity?
April 21, 2013 at 6:59PM     
Jayme H.
Or all of the above plus a fun party!!
April 21, 2013 at 7:02PM     
kimdee24
Better be careful, Mr. Ironwood. You're going to wind up dressed like Payne Stewart! All for a good cause, of course!
April 21, 2013 at 7:06PM     
Ironwood Builders
who is Payne Stewart and why do I fear him?
April 21, 2013 at 7:36PM     
Jayme H.
Payne's pants are boring!!
April 21, 2013 at 7:39PM   
kimdee24
A little bit. But they're poofy with argyle socks. Payne wore some pretty wild outfits, but never plaid and hawaiian.
April 21, 2013 at 7:47PM   
Ironwood Builders
Is this the dude that wore knickerbockers?
April 21, 2013 at 7:48PM   
kimdee24
That's him. You can't see the picture?
April 21, 2013 at 7:49PM   
Jayme H.
Cut off his head and lower legs..I can see the poufs!
April 21, 2013 at 7:52PM   
Ironwood Builders
OK..bring on the plaid pants if that get up is the alternative!
April 21, 2013 at 8:00PM     
kimdee24
LMAO! Nobody should ever wear that. Except Payne. And he's not with us any more.
April 21, 2013 at 8:05PM   
Robin W
If you did it for charity, just know I'd sponsor you. But you'd have to wear the outfit the whole time!
April 21, 2013 at 8:09PM     
studio10001
...soon to be known as "Sir David of Ironwood Hawaain Plaid,Spring 2013"
April 21, 2013 at 8:17PM     
Ironwood Builders
So what constitutes the whole time Robin? I am currently VP of the Board at a local non-profit. The Forestville Youth Park (forestvilleyouthpark.org) is a privately owned public park with ball fields (soccer and baseball) playgrounds and BBQ/picnic areas. We serve as the only public access park of its type between Santa Rosa and the Coast (about 30 miles). The Park was founded in 1958 and currently hosts some 700 local kids through our support of Little League, West County United Soccer, 4H, FFA, Boy Scouts and the local schools. We have two major fundraisers each year...our BBQ in June and the GOLF TOURNAMENT in September. But wearing loud plaid pants for 14 hours while I work the tournament is bordering on cruel and unusual punishment for a guy that changes out of the suit and into the jeans15 minutes after the kids' wedding!
April 21, 2013 at 8:48PM     
kimdee24
Sounds like a great cause! I assume there's a banquet after the tournament?
April 21, 2013 at 8:53PM   
Robin W
How about for one round? That wouldn't be unfair, would it?

(And I am the same way - once I'm home from work, the first thing I do is change out of my uniform and put on my comfies)
April 21, 2013 at 9:07PM   
kimdee24
Robin, I think he's working the tournament, not playing in it. If I had anything to do with it (and I don't because I said I wouldn't make him wear plaid pants), I'd have a booth on one hole at the tournament and if XX dollars, say with a chipping or putting contest or something, were raised, someone would appear at the banquet in plaid pants.

But I'm not a part of the plaid pant shenanigans. Just an innocent bystander. Just saying...
April 21, 2013 at 9:14PM   
Robin W
Aw shucks. I totally misunderstood.

Either way - 14 hours is too long to be in plaid pants and a Hawaiian shirt.
April 21, 2013 at 9:21PM   
kimdee24
I think plaid pants at the banquet would be sufficient. If I had anything at all to do with any of this.
April 21, 2013 at 9:23PM   
April 21, 2013 at 9:24PM   
Robin W
Those are awesome. Especially the maple leaf ones.
April 21, 2013 at 9:30PM   
kimdee24
Yes. I intend to order this immediately:
April 21, 2013 at 9:31PM     
Ironwood Builders
Yes to the banquet..silent and live auction. Course entertainment gets pretty in depth. Beer, wine, champagne and cigars, margarita booth, putting contest, chipping contest, longest drive, closest to the pin, mulligans or cash for a drive by a pro, hot dogs, spin the wheel for $5, hit over the water hazard and win a prize...more. urrgh, I'm tired just thinking about it and I still have the BBQ in June!
April 21, 2013 at 10:03PM     
Ironwood Builders
Right...like the skirt...but them pants! People actually put that stuff on? I mean, like seriously? Not on a bet or a dare or I dunno what?
April 21, 2013 at 10:05PM     
kimdee24
Wow! Yeah, they are a lot of work to organize and it's a long, long day. Full field shotgun start, 144 players? Scramble format?
April 21, 2013 at 10:11PM   
kimdee24
We have the odd guy at the club who will wear crazy pants now and then. One's a young plastic surgeon (does children's reconstructions) but he's kind of funky like that. And the pros, who are in their 20s sometimes. Most guys wear the standard chino type pants with a golf shirt.
April 21, 2013 at 10:15PM   
Jayme H.
Anyone remember this?
April 22, 2013 at 5:18AM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
A pair of "wild and crazy guys" yes I do and thanks for that.
April 22, 2013 at 6:46AM     
kimdee24
Back to my dilemma for one quick second before I forget -- which sub-trade is involved with installing vents? Supposing I had to call someone to do this, who would I call? HVAC?

@Scott Design -- thanks for your comment above, I apologize, I didn't see it yesterday for some reason.
April 22, 2013 at 7:02AM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
HVAC and/or Sheet Metal/Flashing subcontractor. But if you sweeten the deal with a "clothing allowance" I'm sure ironwood would make the trip!
April 22, 2013 at 7:18AM     
kimdee24
Ha! I'm sure that would be a HUGE incentive for him! Considering how excited he got about Loud Mouth Pants... ;)
April 22, 2013 at 8:39AM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
You guys were cracking me up yesterday! I would tune-in from time to time, it was a real kick! Hope things get resolved on your end ASAP, you are in good hands.
April 22, 2013 at 8:52AM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
BTW , gotta love "disco balls" but being an architect/artist i would have to go with "drop cloth"!!
April 22, 2013 at 8:55AM     
kimdee24
I have to the end of June to get all my complaints with this house resolved, and there really aren't all that many left to deal with. They've been pretty good about warranty work, so I'm hopeful it'll all work out. Stinky sink seems to be resolved(?), so just this vent thing and some fix-its to my hardwood floors, nail pops and other minor things, and whatever appears outside when we do the warranty walk on that. All in all, it's a decently built house and I'm pretty happy with it.

And so much good advice here, that's been wonderfully helpful to me. :)
April 22, 2013 at 8:59AM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
That's so good to hear, you are getting close! And this houzz forum is a great support structure, we are all pulling for you and we can all relate to the "trials and tribs"!! Also good to "vent" from time to time! (Pun intended)!!
April 22, 2013 at 9:07AM     
nasmijati
@kimdee. tee hee. Maybe you could get a fellow to wear a plaid kilt?? Not David of Ironwood, of course.
April 24, 2013 at 9:28AM     
Ironwood Builders
Ez..I'm not a Scot...KPO sounds like he's Scotch/Irish...but I'd probably put on a Black Watch kilt sooner than a pair of the loudmouth pants.
April 24, 2013 at 9:11PM     
kimdee24
Don't let the Jayme and Robin hear you say that. You might find that the bet gets changed... and you might not like the new requirements!
April 24, 2013 at 9:17PM     
studio10001
I'm wondering how much money could be raised through HOUZZ by putting KPB in a kilt and Sir Dave of Ironwood in golfgear. This could just prove to be a banner year for your charity....the poster alone would ship out like hotcakes!
April 24, 2013 at 9:20PM     
kimdee24
Eztia -- I've learned (albeit slowly) that it's best to let fellows think it's "their idea". Whatever the topic might be.
April 24, 2013 at 9:21PM     
kimdee24
studio -- I'll do the artwork!
April 24, 2013 at 9:21PM     
studio10001
That puts me in for twenty (I'd like mine autographed, please.)
April 24, 2013 at 9:27PM     
kimdee24
You got it!
April 24, 2013 at 9:29PM   
Robin W
Aww man. I had to find this thread at bedtime!
April 24, 2013 at 9:34PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes there is some Irish blood in my family. No I have never owned a kilt. But if you can get ironwood into one, I am all-in!
April 24, 2013 at 10:06PM     
kimdee24
It would definitely be worth a trip to Cali to see the two of you decked out like that, no doubt!
April 24, 2013 at 10:09PM     
studio10001
Oh, Daaaaa-viiiid.......where aaare youuuu?
April 24, 2013 at 10:10PM     
Ironwood Builders
kimdee...Kevin and I live like 9 hours apart! Getting us together for photos would require some serious travel money...I know a guy here that makes a product called the "utilikilt". Kind of like cargo shorts with pleats. He wears them all the time....and kilt wearing in Sonoma County is not all that strange (he is, but that is another story).
April 24, 2013 at 10:15PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
You know kimdee, St. Patricks Day is never to be missed on this end! Dargans Pub, Ventura (my SoCal Studio) the place was hoppin. Lots of warm beer, darts, singing and not to be missed bagpipes and kilts!!!
April 24, 2013 at 10:18PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Ironwood, post a photo of that utilikilt! Gotta check that out! And I'm only 3hrs from you when I'm at my NorCal Studio! Just got to sync the schedule, pop the keg and jump into the kilts!
April 24, 2013 at 10:21PM     
studio10001
When's that charity event, again?
April 24, 2013 at 10:26PM   
kimdee24
Cargo shorts with PLEATS? No. That's just wrong. On so many levels.
April 24, 2013 at 10:32PM     
Ironwood Builders
September, right around the equinox. I'll get the date and post it here. After the utilikilt! Tell me that the first photo ain't just yummy! Sorta makes all those "guy in a tool belt" notions disappear!
April 24, 2013 at 10:35PM     
kimdee24
Omg. Yeah. No. Definitely the wrong kind of tool belt!
April 24, 2013 at 10:40PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Is that a leather utilikilt? Now were talkin!!!
April 24, 2013 at 10:41PM   
kimdee24
Mightn't want to be the guy standing under the scaffolding...
April 24, 2013 at 10:42PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
You know ironwood, that framer in the kilt reminds me of a real "thatched roof" cottage I did years ago for a customer in San Diego! He sent me to England for two weeks to learn how to thatch. They wear kilts, dress shirts, ties and bibs when they work and break for afternoon tea and scones (on the roof)! Amazing.
April 24, 2013 at 10:55PM     
studio10001
Well it takes care of butt crack, but it's a heck of a trade....
April 24, 2013 at 10:59PM     
kimdee24
Roofers around here last summer were... less well dressed. Or actually just... less dressed. Shorts, tool belt, safety harness and not much else. Made coffee breaks on the porch a lot more interesting tho. ;)
April 24, 2013 at 11:03PM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Sounds like SoCal! When we brought the "thatchers" over to install the thatch in San Diego, the culture gap was intense! Americans in shorts, no shirts and surf boards! British on the roof in kilts and dress shirts drinking tea!
April 24, 2013 at 11:08PM     
kimdee24
Must have been quite the sight! Lol!
April 24, 2013 at 11:11PM   
Ironwood Builders
Not sure if it takes care of the butt crack...never seen it in action! But the whole thing with skirts and ladders...
April 24, 2013 at 11:27PM     
studio10001
Did you say snakes and ladders?
April 24, 2013 at 11:33PM     
Ironwood Builders
Trouser trout.
April 24, 2013 at 11:43PM     
Jayme H.
Where was I when this was going on? Interesting conversation!!
April 25, 2013 at 5:30AM     
studio10001
Well, reeling us back in from the fishier side of this topic (!),it seems that KPO should be circling his calendar for the Sept. equinox photo shoot!!
April 25, 2013 at 10:50AM     
kimdee24
I have a camera and lots of air miles. I could make it happen.
April 25, 2013 at 10:53AM     
studio10001
I was hoping you were going to say that - now we're cooking w gas!!
April 25, 2013 at 11:12AM   
Ironwood Builders
Oh Lord...what have I gotten myself into? Do I get to sell tickets at least? What about an auction item? My slightly used utilikilt for big dollars? Do I have to include the tools?
April 25, 2013 at 11:23AM     
studio10001
Excellant!! Now we need the specific date....
April 25, 2013 at 11:27AM   
studio10001
(and only the tools on the outside, please)
April 25, 2013 at 11:28AM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes @studio good to specify the proper "tools"! ironwood you have painted yourself into a corner. I would like to help you being that we are "outnumbered", but these gals are scary as cats on cat slides.
April 25, 2013 at 11:39AM     
kimdee24
I couldn't scare a mouse. Though I am developing a mean right cross in the gym.
April 25, 2013 at 11:47AM     
Jayme H.
I think I could scare people..not into that though..not good for business! I only scare men with road rage at gas stations.
April 25, 2013 at 2:35PM     
studio10001
Sept. 20, in Forestville CA @ Windsor Golf Course. Let the games begin!
April 25, 2013 at 3:38PM     
Jayme H.
That utilikilt is by far the most unsexy thing I have seen in a long time...How about plaid golf pants and a leather tool belt?
April 25, 2013 at 4:01PM   
studio10001
SDI wears the golfpants, KPO wears a kilt, and I believe we have decided that the utilikilt gets auctioned. Kimdee creates the poster. We send money!!
April 25, 2013 at 4:08PM     
Jayme H.
I want a reason to take a trip too..we'll see..this could be a classic!
April 25, 2013 at 4:11PM     
studio10001
It seems only right -you did agree to help sell tickets!!!
April 25, 2013 at 4:14PM     
kimdee24
Agreed, Jayme. The utilikilt is awful. Comical, but completely unsexy.
April 25, 2013 at 4:16PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Wait a minute @studio! How did ironwood get out of not wearing a kilt? Did I miss something? Did he distract us with the utilitikilt? Is there some discussion off thread? I have a feeling this is a set-up!!
April 25, 2013 at 4:30PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Also, i remember a few posts ago, kimdee mentioned a "maple leaf" golf outfit she was going to purchase! The gals don't get off that easy!!
April 25, 2013 at 4:36PM     
studio10001
No, no set-up *L* I could be wrong - thought there was a previous arrangement w Jaime...I'm fine w the kilt! Jaime, you good w a kilt?!
April 25, 2013 at 4:37PM     
studio10001
Damn straight - skirts for every body!
April 25, 2013 at 4:38PM     
kimdee24
I already ordered the Maple Leaf skirt. :)
April 25, 2013 at 4:39PM     
Robin W
Alright. I'm in. I'll be a bit sleepy fresh off a night shift... but in nonetheless.
April 25, 2013 at 4:42PM     
anne dee
I knew this was the party that kevin was at. When you leave here can you drop in at "help with front face lift".
I told the poster you were expected ! hope you don't mind :)
April 25, 2013 at 4:43PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
No problem anne dee, just got back on, my phones been buzzing with activity on this thread!!!
April 25, 2013 at 4:46PM     
Jayme H.
OK..but what with the kilt? Anyone have any bag pipes?
April 25, 2013 at 4:56PM   
liquidsunshine13
lurker here - my husband has a utilikilt he wears when it is very warm. used to embarrass our daughter no end when she'd bring home friends & he'd be in his utilikilt, very pasty white legs, anklet socks & heavy work shoes. there is something sexy about a man who is secure in himself.
April 25, 2013 at 4:58PM     
kimdee24
I don't even know where you'd get a kilt.
April 25, 2013 at 5:02PM   
studio10001
Golf clubs for the pic?
April 25, 2013 at 5:03PM   
kimdee24
Oh, I have golf clubs!
April 25, 2013 at 5:04PM   
studio10001
Kimdee, there is a registration form up on their website, if you want to play. I bet SDI can find himself a kilt, especially since it means he just dodged the bullet with plaid pants!
April 25, 2013 at 6:07PM     
kimdee24
Very true, bevh!
April 25, 2013 at 6:10PM   
Ironwood Builders
A kilt to auction or a kilt to wear? My friend and fellow Board member, Bill Ferguson, has the whole Scottish rig....velvet jacket and little knife too. But what the heck, you guys put together a foursome and I'll wear the Hawaiian shirt with the plaid paints, the tartan kilt or the way fabu utilikilt. Way past the point of caring tonight.
April 25, 2013 at 7:46PM     
studio10001
Sounds like a rough day; sorry to hear it, David
April 25, 2013 at 8:24PM   
Ironwood Builders
Yeah, one of those "free" days. Doing an estimate that is over budget...my crew out working for another contractor and he wants us to be responsible for the entire job, including meetings with homeowners and architects, material specification and ordering..and supervising his crew...for mate's rates. Me showing up to have a meeting and him not...then 3 hours in a tiny cabinet replacing a voltage relay in a steam shower unit...that worked perfectly before we showed up...$250 part and it still won't work. Next is the entire unit...$600 on Ebay....and the magnifying glass punchlist with the Magllte (third iteration). We do good work...apparently not good enough.
April 25, 2013 at 8:43PM     
kimdee24
Sorry for your day...
April 25, 2013 at 8:50PM     
studio10001
Sucks -calls for steak and a good red.
April 25, 2013 at 8:54PM     
Robin W
Sorry to hear Ironwood.
April 25, 2013 at 9:05PM   
Ironwood Builders
Chicken salad sandwich and soup?
April 25, 2013 at 9:23PM     
kimdee24
I had a protein shake. You did better. :)
April 25, 2013 at 9:27PM   
Ironwood Builders
I was going to skip dinner entirely but it's not a good thing right now...so leftover roast chicken, celery, mayo and moutarde a'l'ancienne on local seeded sourdough toast...and split pea soup. Ten minutes.
April 25, 2013 at 9:33PM     
kimdee24
Sounds good. Sourdough is my favorite, I bought some today. I think I'll go make some toast.
April 25, 2013 at 9:39PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
You know David (Dave)? ironwood, always makes me feel like I am in SLOW motion! Or better yet, moving BACKWARDS! He needs to spend some time at the beach!
April 26, 2013 at 8:39AM   
studio10001
*L*( You realize he'd just get burnt while building a cabana, right?)
April 26, 2013 at 2:32PM     
Jayme H.
And whipping up some chef-like food on a grill between pounding nails..!!
April 26, 2013 at 3:19PM     
kimdee24
I wish I were on a beach somewhere. Far, far away from here.
April 26, 2013 at 3:24PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes, you are stressing big time! I visit my SoCal Studio when it hits the fan! One block from the beach, open my windows and hear the waves crashing! Sorry to rub it in!!
April 26, 2013 at 3:38PM     
Aja Mazin
Earplugs?
April 26, 2013 at 3:39PM     
studio10001
Hold onto the thought of September: Beach, golf, funny clothes and olld friends. Sounds like you need a steak,too. Blood for blood, my friends, put the McD burgers and the powder shakes down and make yourselves strong!! Otherwise, your terrorists win!
April 26, 2013 at 3:43PM     
Jayme H.
Or sit in the tub with a Miller Lite and the laptop..I did..feeling better...YES I can handle the 12 hr shifts the next 2 days, yes I can!!!!
April 26, 2013 at 3:47PM     
kimdee24
Delete, delete, delete. With apologies.
April 26, 2013 at 4:01PM     
studio10001
I was trying to transfer a joke for you, but it ran a whole page and I couldn't shrink it! Beautiful new house, pup what loves you, shopping success, US, and Game of Thrones in 2 days..OK, so that's the thing I cling to this time of the week, but still - lots of good stuff looking back at you right now, and more to come. Plus, it is waaaaaay past cocktail hour, what are you thinking, cleaning the house?!?!?!?!
April 26, 2013 at 4:57PM     
Jayme H.
@kimdee...u r human, no need to apologize :)!!
April 26, 2013 at 4:58PM     
Jayme H.
And not to mention a tile guy hitting up on u!! LOL
April 26, 2013 at 5:00PM     
studio10001
We're here, Kimdee.
April 26, 2013 at 5:16PM     
kimdee24
Thanks, guys. I'm ok. Just... fell in a hole for moment. Maybe next time I'll see the hole... and walk around it. I hope. Anyhow. Chin up and t*** forward, as they say...! (sorry, boys).
April 26, 2013 at 5:20PM     
Jayme H.
xoxoxo
April 26, 2013 at 5:21PM     
studio10001
Ready for a hard cider?
April 26, 2013 at 5:24PM     
kimdee24
A case of malbec, thanks... ! I'm looking for a corkscrew, as we speak.
April 26, 2013 at 5:26PM     
Ironwood Builders
I'll lay some in for September, kimdee
April 26, 2013 at 5:29PM     
studio10001
Strike that, we have bottles to open; lost my mind.
April 26, 2013 at 5:34PM     
kimdee24
Wine and peanut butter cups for dinner! One day only.* See in-store for details.

*or I won't fit into my maple leaf skirt.
April 26, 2013 at 5:39PM     
studio10001
You hear those crickets? Get real groceries tomorrow - for us,eh? A 3lb porkloin, so it fills the house and makes you want to inhale.... what do ya say, what do ya say?
April 26, 2013 at 6:01PM     
kimdee24
I would happily make you all dinner, if I could, that beautiful dining table is just aching for a dinner party. It might not be as gourmet as Mr. Ironwood could do, but it would be edible. And chocolate free. At least until dessert.
April 26, 2013 at 6:09PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Ship the table to SoCal, set it up on the beach at sunset, break out the peanut butter cups, David brings the wine from Sonoma, distant bagpipes in the surf, kilts and dancing! Good to go!!
April 26, 2013 at 6:12PM     
kimdee24
Works for me!
April 26, 2013 at 6:25PM     
Robin W
Sounds like a rough day around the board.
April 26, 2013 at 6:40PM   
kimdee24
Some crazy woman hacked my profile. I ran her off though.
April 26, 2013 at 6:48PM     
Robin W
It's a full moon here... That's gotta be it!
April 26, 2013 at 6:52PM     
studio10001
Robin, crack a bottle w us, the more the merrier.
April 26, 2013 at 6:59PM   
Robin W
Yup. It's chilling right now.
April 26, 2013 at 7:03PM     
kimdee24
I'll just put this here, rather than starting a whole new thread for it. Seems there's a bit of a high spot on my little stub wall and the granite isn't sitting flush with the edges. Should I sand the top of the wall down until it sits flush? It's a big gap, maybe 3/16". Maybe I'm being too picky and it won't matter once it's papered and caulked? (Is there such a thing as being too picky?)
April 26, 2013 at 7:39PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
You are asking the wrong group. We all suffer from OCD and anal retentive disorders! You can never be too picky! I would sand it down and make it perfect then go to the next thing.
April 26, 2013 at 7:50PM     
kimdee24
It's getting better. And it doesn't wobble anymore. I'll keep at it and see if I can close that gap a bit more. I knew I was hanging with the right group. The OCD'rs and anal rententives.
April 26, 2013 at 8:01PM     
Robin W
If you're going all out, break out the level...
April 26, 2013 at 8:04PM     
kimdee24
Oh, it's out!
April 26, 2013 at 8:13PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes this group is great! We understand each other. We go to restaurants and pick apart the design problems! The only way I enjoy the meal is to start drinking and if that doesn't work..drink until it does.
April 26, 2013 at 8:14PM     
kimdee24
My former neighbour decided to put laminate floors in her house, but she thought she could put the baseboard back by herself. It physically pained me to be over there and not stare at the baseboard the whole time, or worse, go get some tools and try and make it better.
April 26, 2013 at 8:32PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
This is turning into a support group! Imagine the stories we can tell!
April 26, 2013 at 8:37PM     
kimdee24
What was worse, was that I knew the original owner, and how much time she and her dad spent on that trimwork.
April 26, 2013 at 8:39PM     
Robin W
Oh Kevin... I could tell you stories of some of the homes I've been in that would make you cringe.
April 26, 2013 at 8:39PM     
kimdee24
Perfectionist. My dad taught me well. Or cursed me for life. I'm not sure which. Studio -- poor doggie! They're the ones that I feel worst for, they don't have a choice.
April 26, 2013 at 8:41PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes that would drive me nuts. My issue is paintings or pictures not hung LEVEL! I'm a friends houses I walk around leveling out their art. Now friends move their art just to watch me twitch.
April 26, 2013 at 8:43PM     
kimdee24
3M strips. Best thing ever invented for keeping pictures in their place. That drives me nuts too. I'm a bit of a neat freak also, and now there's drywall dust all over the power room that will have to be cleaned up before bedtime.
April 26, 2013 at 8:46PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
YES now your talking! Love that stuff! And yes HOARDING is the worst! Drives me CRAZY when people save stuff! It's outta here!! My garage is organized and I can actually park my cars in it with room to spare!! Bliss baby bliss!
April 26, 2013 at 8:50PM     
studio10001
No good deed goes unpunished.
April 26, 2013 at 8:51PM     
kimdee24
True enough, studio. Okay, i think I've had enough day for one day. Time for bed. See you all tomorrow.
April 26, 2013 at 8:54PM     
ReMax - Lisa
Wow! Just clicked on this thread cos I couldn't imagine how this question about a small vent issue had so many comments! It's like a funny chat room! Very entertaining. Did the person ever get a solution to their vent problem? Also hope they have figured out how to disable the email notification when a new comment arrives!
April 27, 2013 at 5:47AM     
ReMax - Lisa
But I learned something.... Gonna go buy some 3M strips today for my pictures,...... And maybe some wine......
April 27, 2013 at 5:48AM     
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
@kimdee, the granite installers should have shimmed that area to support the granite, which could be followed by a piece of scribe molding the same color as your trim. Either that or taped, mudded, finished and painted.
April 27, 2013 at 7:21AM     
kimdee24
Norm -- I am the granite installer!
April 27, 2013 at 7:23AM     
Mary
How brave Kimdee!
April 27, 2013 at 7:31AM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Lisa, don't forget the peanut butter cups! Not sure a good white or red to go with that, kimdee will know
April 27, 2013 at 9:01AM   
kimdee24
Comfort food! Does anyone know if wallpaper will stick to paintable caulk?
April 27, 2013 at 9:22AM   
Robin W
Can you caulk after the wallpaper goes up? Then nothing will get in behind the paper?
April 27, 2013 at 9:32AM     
Aja Mazin
I doubt the vent is your problem!

LOL
April 27, 2013 at 9:37AM   
kimdee24
Thanks, Aja. Very helpful as always.
April 27, 2013 at 9:47AM     
Aja Mazin
I recommend banana Slurpees with vodka.
April 27, 2013 at 10:05AM     
studio10001
Vent!!! What vent?!?! LOL
April 27, 2013 at 10:15AM     
Aja Mazin
studio 10001,

Mint Juleps on the veranda at 6:00?
April 27, 2013 at 10:18AM     
studio10001
I'm with you in spirit(s)!
April 27, 2013 at 10:26AM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Now your talkin, mention alcohol and the Irish sit up and take notice! Cheers.....
April 27, 2013 at 10:49AM     
Jayme H.
This reminded me of Ya all...( us all)...LOL
April 27, 2013 at 6:45PM     
Gracethatch
Comparing with natural thatch, artificial thatch is long life span up to 20 years. It is highly authentic and free from maintenance and woodwarm.Price less than USD25 per squre meter, not square feet.Good quality,providing sample for checking(mail:eileen@gracethatch.com; skype: eieen.chen1234)
June 12, 2014 at 12:47AM   
Driving me crazy deciding on a countertop. Help me, please!
We can't decide on which color granite to put in our...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Backsplash is driving me nuts!
We are doing a kitchen reno with shaker cabs stained...
Son driving me nuts! Love a mom!
Bedroom rug sage ish green with a blue hue to it!!...
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...
Livingroom arrangement
We just bought this house and need help on the livingroom....
New spot for microwave
We have moved our fridge. I got a new microwave and...
Need advice for changing our leaded-glass windows in our bay window
We have a beautiful bay window seat in the front of...
How to get more white trim around our windows.
I'm looking to get more white trim around our windows....