Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vasfam1

Stoves : gas or duel fuel?

vasfam1
11 years ago
Hi I need to look for appliances soon. My prior stove was gas, should I replace with duel fuel?

Comments (7)

• sharonanable
    11 years ago
    When our neighborhood was being built, one of my neighbors paid the extra $100 to have both gas and electricity for a stove to increase resale value on her home when she puts it on the market. I just did gas. Now when I'm ready to sell, if a buyer wants electric stove, they won't look at my house.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The purpose of the dual fuel is that the range burners are gas as it is easier to "see" how hot the flame is than the electric elements. Conversely, electric ovens heat more evenly, and since the oven is on a thermostat...you don't look at the flames...you just set the temperature and start baking! Electric seems to work better with convection as well!
  • Shannon Pavey
    11 years ago
    Before you go with dual fuel, make sure you have the right electrical connection. The dual fuel ranges I've installed require a 4 prong outlet, double check the specs for the range you're considering. You might be able to order it with a 3-prong connection if that's what you have. I'm with Ironwood Builders though. As a designer for new construction, most of my clients chose not to go with dual fuel. The non-dual fuel ranges work just as well, in my opinion.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    11 years ago
    I have a falcon cooker electric oven and electric induction hob - and I think the hob is quicker than my old gas one ! It's certainly easier to clean - my only downfall is as we live in the countryside and are quite remote - we often get power failures - when this happens the chef ( me usually !) has to put her coat on and use the outdoor kitchen which has Gaz !!!
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    10 years ago
    - If you bake often, an electric oven has superior temperature control. If you use your oven more often for roasting or broiling, an all-gas unit will deliver better performance. Electric cooktops are not for performance-oriented cooks.
  • joyful_lady
    10 years ago
    Why borrow trouble before it arrives? You can always offer a concessoin. I love gas for stovetop, electric for oven. I've had both. Although I actually like gas better for broiler and electric for oven but have never looked into whether it was possible to do both.

If you want to sell, then put it on the market as is. Not many homes have dual.

Most people will not make whether the stovetop is electric or gas the major factor in a home purchase decision. If you have a motivated buyer who wants a concession for electric deal with it at that time.
  • joyful_lady
    10 years ago
    opps, just realized I answered sharonanable - not original post.

RE: original post - are you staying or selling? Do you have the electric outlet available? What is your preference?