Need help designing entry room
Cecilia Boyle
We have entry way room I am trying to design. My idea is to put in two half walls by front door and by hallway door and the on entrance to family room to match. We will cut into back wall for coat closet. Am not sure what furniture to use in this room. Any other ideas, such as window treatments will also help
Cecilia Boyle
Help!
April 20, 2013 at 10:12pm   
Half height walls are in parlance called pony walls. I'm hearing you say you are considering putting pony walls parallel to entry to family room between the window and the entry door, and possibly opposite that. Your style of home might include columns above the ends of the pony walls to make a small entry area, then deliniate this next space as a "room." You are considering changing the existing archway to family by opening it more to be the same pony wall so there is a series of openings that are the same.

If I've read your intention and thoughts correctly, then you are asking, if you go there, how do you use this space. If media is in the family room area, rather than going to the expense of adding a longer header and opening that wall more, you may want to consider using this as an "away" room - or the quiet space. Then you would actually add something like glass french doors to the existing cased entry - that would end up costing just about the same as tearing out the wall to replace with pony's and you wouldn't lose valuable wall space to put things on in a small room. What that does is make this space quieter, a place to retreat to and sit at a desk, or have a private chat

Then, I would add a pair of chairs angled next to a 30" high pedestal table (crate and barrel has great options of these but you could put the desk here like a console) at the front window - not too precious nor too large in scale so that people coming in wet from rain or snow can plop down/ take off boots or taking off gear can use them. Not deep sit back chairs, but upholstered could be dining chairs. You have the taller table so you can have tea, or pay bills, write a check, fill out a school form . . Floor /reading lamps flanking that symmetry so each chair has one.

On the back wall, you need storage that is closed and attractive. What about two cube towers - like 16" deep on each side of a long bench. Baskets in the cubes for things like, dog leash, water bottles, mittens, hats, backpacks, school supplies, earbuds, gym clothes, etc. Now it is functional and pretty. Indoor outdoor rug across the center so you can hose it off. Add panels to flank the roman shades - something feminine and floral with blue and brown - hang the shades above the windows so when they are open you get all the light if the view of the front yard and street is nice.
April 20, 2013 at 10:47pm     
Cecilia Boyle
Sound perfect! Thanks
April 21, 2013 at 4:59am   
Need help with front entry and dinning room design and color.
Hello. I am having a hard time deciding on a color...
Need help designing entry room
We have entry way room I am trying to design. My idea...
Blank Canvas Living Room & Entry - Need Design Ideas!!
Sorry for the mess. There is a large open space over...
Need help with front entry design
We've been in our new house just under a year and now...
What colour should I paint the front door?
Hi everybody! I am struggling with choosing paint colours...
damp walk out basement
Musty smell in basement rooms.
remove wallpaper?
What is the easiest way to remove wallpaper?
What color to paint my living room?
I am hoping to have a resort, beach type feel in this...