Help with my kitchen please!!!! white veneer maple or natural maple?...
msuchmaApril 21, 2013
Hello,
We have recently purchased a house and plan to stain all of the oak floors, trim and doors dark (probably gunstock stain).

We have a kitchen design that we love and planned to have white painted finish maple cabinets in the kitchen with dark brown wood for the island and built in cabinets along the wall in the adjoining solarium. Granite would be light (bianco antico). We have busy 4 year old twins and we have started worrying that our cabinets may be vulnerable to chips and damage (I'm not worried about seeing dirt on the cabs as i will be cleaning them often). I love the idea of having a white kitchen and think it will look great with the dark stained oak floors, doors and trim.

My husband would like to consider changing the cabinets to natural maple throughout with dark granite (cosmic) because he thinks that if the cabs get bumped or hit, there is no paint to chip off and underneath the chip we will always have to same colour of cabs. I'm not as convinced about the natural maple, especially with the dark floors, doors and trim.

Most of our wood furniture is warm to dark brown (not espresso or very dark, more rich browns).

I will attach photos of the floor (for the colour, the actual sample is not oak so it won't look exactly the same), cabinet, granite samples together.
I would really appreciate any comments, advice, thoughts...
Has anyone ever had damage to their white wood cabinets? Any regrets about white cabs? In 10 years, what will look more dated?
Thanks for your help...
houssaon
I think factory applied paint is very durable. Even if they do get dinged, you should be able to touch up if you get a jar of he paint. I agree that the white will look great with your other furnishes. There are so many white kitchens, it cannot be a real issue.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:26AM
slgriggs
I love white and off white cabinets. If you buy a name brand such as Kraftmaid, Diamond Reflection, etc the process they use for staining and painting is very durable, therefore I would not worry. If you have custom cabinets I am not sure the finish is baked on and I personally would be cautious.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:33AM
Both white kitchens and maple kitchens are quite classic, so I think either will stand the test of time well if you choose a simple cabinet door style (like Shaker) rather than something with a more elaborate raised panel or a trendy antiqued glaze. It is details that date a kitchen more than the basic materials. Maple cabinets will be just a bit more durable than white painted cabinets, but not so substantially that you should make this the entire basis of your decision. We've had off-white kitchens for the last 20 years and loved them.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:41AM
ginale
We just installed natural maple and love them, but I know painted cabinets are most popular now. Check out some photos on Houzz before you decide. Good luck! I know how tough it is to make all of those decisions!
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:46AM
Natural maple shaker cabinets
My husband and I just relocated from the PA to NC....
dncgergen
Paint Maple Cabinets White?
Can you paint maple cabinets white? I may call the...
slbridges
Help me choose a kitchen backsplash (maple/blue pearl granite)
Well, I didn't plan the backsplash into my design....
abramcat
Merillat Maple Natural with Java Glaze
I really want to see examples of Merillat Maple Natural...
Kristen Bridge
Stone fireplace/Mediterranean house
I have Mediterranean house. The fireplace is stone...
eawade
Will a 30 inch wall oven fit in a 30 inch wide cabinet?
I would like to purchase the new 30 inch professional...
gharris8
Need ideas please
Kitchen redo. I like Grays and Whites for the cabinets,...
roynlisa
Countertop conundrum!!
I'm so frustrated with countertop shopping. I knew...
Kriste Kalk_Ross
Need help with our courtyard
We have a wonderful 20m x 6m courtyard. I'm happy with...
imray