Please help size a rug
olechka22
April 21, 2013
Hello, I just bought a new couch and am looking to buy a rug to tie the room together. What dimensions should the rug be? Specifically, should the purple chair be on the rug, or should only the couch and coffee table be on it? Should the full couch have a rug under it, or should the rug end a bit inside the couch? I tried to size it by marking corners of the rug with masking tape, but I'm not sure if that's the right size. Thanks in advance for your help!
(P.S. I think a new, lower coffee table is needed...? Any other design suggestions are welcome!)
The bigger the better is my motto. Get the largest you can afford. The tricky part is the narrow room and running into the tv stand with it. Please center and lower the art to about 6"above the sofa back. Right now it is higher than your window frames,and isn't working. I'd advise gray drapes hung from that bit of soffit and a shaped glass coffee table to open the space up visually. Homedecorators.com is having a rug sale right now. Here are a couple that could work. Zila Glass Coffee Table Ion Glass Round Coffee Table
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:05AM
solraven
I think it would have a more friendly, inviting arrangement if the TV and sofa were on opposite walls. The chair would stay where it is. It would be more conducive to conversation instead of letting the TV take center stage.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:29PM
Lesley Delle_Grazie
We have a similar issue with the width of our living room; it's 10 1/2 ft. wide. We chose a similar layout too because of the placement of windows and wall-openings. My choice for a rug was a 6' X 9' that we centred under our sofa, with small end tables. Our occasional chair was able to be placed entirely off the rug, which wasn't possible with an 8' X 10'. It looked awkward set at an angle with the front legs on the rug. The 6' X 9' is a harder size to find, but they do exist.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:36PM
Need help to choose a rug for my living room - size and color
I'm in the process of refreshing and updating my living...
maqi
Please help w optimal size seagrass rug and furniture - beach home
Thank you for your thoughts. We just bought an old...
Mary
Help needed with rug and coffee table-PLEASE
Im not sure what rug to put in my living room- all...
Sparkle interiors
Need help choosing rug size and bed location in master
I need help choosing the correct rug size and placement...
lwright4
Help choosing dining room rug size please!
Just found a beautiful wood slab dining table that...
Jeanette
If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market...
sandnsyntax
Help with bookcases
What color should I paint the bookcases? I am painting...
aiharris
What ONE thing do you LOVE that your spouse / partner does at home?
Your spouse / partner is the best, of course! What...
Should I paint the oak colored built ins white to match crown molding?
Oak built ins need to be different color. New hardwoods...
gnortham
Help me pull my dining room together
Hello all! My hubby and I finally fulled the trigger...
shal1217