Column Crisis

um3gApril 21, 2013
So, i have this in the middle of my living room. It's a huge space, joining 5 areas together and it looks really plain. One area's painted an accent color so paint is out. Stone is out cause I have that on the only wall in this area. Marble is out cause the column next to is marbelized. Wood is out cause the arch is wood. What can I do with this ? wall paper? shelving ? suggestions please .. this is a focal part of my living room - all 5 areas of activity lead to looking at this :D
houssaon
More photos of the space would help. My first suggestion is to paper it. What is this anyway?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:28AM
um3g
It's an elevator. Takes u up to the first floor of the villa. I tried wallpaper but hard to find sthng that would match items in my open space
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:34AM
Donald
Grass cloth wallpaper?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:35AM
Could you add a stone relief all the way around it (or even some textured wallpaper and then build in a return around the bottom with LED flat uplights to make it an interesting feature?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:46AM
L M Nolan
I've never seen an attractive lift feature in a 2-3 story home. I'd put a stair in.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:57AM
um3g
One area is a circular custom seated area, the next is a leather formal one, the next is a casual fabric L shaped one, the next is a console with a clock and a stone feature behind it, a dining area with a marble top table and the last area is an arch painted a very bold color that leads to the main kitchen,play area .. I don't have wallpaper anywhere in the house yet but my concern is that it will draw away how it's a focal point. I mean, sitting in any of those areas will just have u looking at wallpaper ?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:05PM
um3g
I can't put a stair in, the staircase is less than 2 m away from this elevator. :( plus will lead to nowhere ? Top part is concreted
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:06PM
um3g
Initially this was supposed to be a panoramic lift - glass view - but it was too costly and I let go of the idea to invest in sthng else .. Just to let u know why it looks like this
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:08PM
onthefence
What is on the floor here and is the flooring the same in any of the adjoining areas?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:08PM
um3g
Flooring is italian botticino marble, with dark emperador skirting finish. All the area is open and one level and they r centred with this elevator. All my furniture is neutral shades of brown , beige category
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:10PM
Kelly Flanagan
I'd use a cool mosaic tile to cover it. I would need to see the other finishes but it would get you the result based on your description. What materials and or colors do you like? I'll make a suggestion based on your response.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:12PM
You write: "One area's painted an accent color so paint is out. Stone is out cause I have that on the only wall in this area. Marble is out cause the column next to is marbelized. Wood is out cause the arch is wood."

Um, there's nothing wrong with repeating finishes. In fact, with all those different finishes, I wonder how this space flows or hangs together. If your goal is to see how many different materials you can use in one space, you might make the Guinness Book of World Records. But as a design statement, it doesn't sound very cohesive to me.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:16PM
um3g
I hope the image helps
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:20PM
onthefence
I completely agree with groveraxle - which was part of why I asked about the floor. I think it's time to look for one element that already exists that can cohesively tie ALL the areas together.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:25PM
Kelly Flanagan
Wrap it in any of the three finishes found in this picture and you will have a focus point for sure..... lol
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:27PM
um3g
grover, i dont mind repeating the finish - but across from the lift there's a stone wall, so I'd kill my accented stone wall if I put it around the lift. The marble - I have marble floor finishes + the dining table is marbe toped AND the kitchen as well AND 2 columns next to this boulder. Wood, I've got wooden arches .. lool what should i do ? it's a big space :P
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:28PM
OnePlan
Why not create shelving around it - give it a use rather than trying to hide it - you could even incorporate a small desk area ? Would be unique ?! With good lighting in it, some of the shelving could display objet'd art, some as part of desk are. ..etc ?!
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:30PM
um3g
Porcelanosa, I got a designer and he suggested I stick 30 cm of mosaic around the upper boundary and 30 cm around from the lower. What I am trying to say is, from wherever I am in this area, I am looking straight at the back of this elevator .. so I want something creative.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:31PM
um3g
my hubby suggested shelving, but i dont want sthng traditional. How would i go about shelving a circular column ? should i put textured wallpaper (plain) and then shelf it .. ?
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:32PM
anne dee
you might consider reverting back to the original concept.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:34PM
um3g
anne, making it glass? I cant do this. Too costly for me.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:37PM
Kelly Flanagan
Creative and mosaic designs go hand in hand. You would be limited to your imagination.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:38PM
onthefence
I think I'd look for a linear mosaic tile. The elements of the tile would be a stone similar to what's on your floor, clear/crackled glass and a brownish beige glass. Something not really high contrast but a subtle mix of existing elements. Encase the column in this running vertically.

I'm not a designer - but your designer's idea of adding 2 more elements to this mix doesn't really work for me.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:53PM
kameloney
Can't exactly tell from the picture or the drawing, but if it were my design dilemna I would have a carpenter build walls around it to square it and also build a large curved niche on one side with interior lighting. The niche could contain one decorative object or a painting.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:00PM
um3g
I think I want to shelf the area, but not completely .. Don't know how yet. Maybe link the column with the marble column with wood ? Or bring down shelves from the wood in the gypsum ? So confusing. Safest choice would be a wallpaper
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:00PM
anne dee
you could commission an artist to decorate/draw a scene etc. would be better than wallpaper. Just throwing ideas out there.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:10PM
kameloney
I was also thinking of a mural. Seems that someone could also do something creative with wrought iron and wood.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:14PM
OnePlan
I'd get a carpenter on site to make modern shelving to suit with downlighting in some of the shelving area, you could even colour in areas of the shelving to add pops of colour too ! Could look stunning - a decent carpenter could easily do this for you !
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:17PM
CM-bespoke joinery
Hi,why you don't try some wallpaper samples?My opinion is going for natural brick wallpaper,it ill bring all the natural material been use around that open space......
(Is my opinion)
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:42PM
L Star Murals
You could work with a muralist who makes stenciled or hand painted wall finishings and have them design several patterns that fade into each other around the circular surface. So, think wallpaper, but with a malleable design that changes as you go around the structure.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:16PM
Lisa Carlisle
What would happen if you receded it with matte black paint and made it an amazing gallery of your most loved portraits. I took this photo in NYC's Victoria's Secret new flagship store. A stunning effect.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 5:58PM
um3g
L Star Murals, I cant imagine what you mean ? 3D wallpaper ? something that's popping out of the column? Today I started looking into wallpaper. Lisa, I cant do a black wall. I am not that bold lol & I am bad at chosing portraits
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:36AM
um3g
what do u guys think of this ?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 10:33AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
I like what you just posted. This look can be achieved by wood veneer or wood looking laminates, but choose one with the horizontal lines going around to hide the seams if you decide on this look..

I also first thought a mural or faux painting, like others have suggested. Could paint a landscape, picture wall,

Also try looking at commercial grade wall covering. Many designs, textures and colors to chose from. They mostly come in 54" widths and sold by the yard, which means no waste of materials. They typically are hung random or reverse hang, with no pattern matching. They also pass Fire Safety Codes which is a plus!!

http://www.versawallcovering.com/products/gallery/
http://www.versawallcovering.com/products/pattern/A122-517/
http://dlcouch.com/products-colorways.aspx?designId=437
http://dlcouch.com/products-colorways.aspx?designid=3017
http://dlcouch.com/products-colorways.aspx?designid=3033
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:39AM
onthefence
I like it -- but what wood species and shade would you use to tie it to the front framing on the column?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:28PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
There are several wood veneer wall coverings out in today's market. Since um3g is already working with a designer, he would be able to select one for her that would work best in their space. Since the wood trim is so dark, maybe something lighter in the same tone.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:29PM
L Star Murals
Sorry for the confusion. I'm imagining that you have different rooms/ colors that this large column has to play off of. So, I was suggesting that instead of picking one wallpaper or pattern, you could consider having different patterns that gradually fade into each other. This way the column can look different from each side. Basically, I'm imagining a hand painted wall design (maybe done with a stencil) that has decorative elements that changes at different intervals. It is a unique concept to just casually drop into a suggestion thread. Sorry for that! Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 5:39PM
patricia1971
Grass cloth wallpaper.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:16AM
Ed
um3g, that column is quite awesome. :) How did you do the 3D rendering ?
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 4:59AM
Exterior identity crisis!
We just finished a great remodel in the kitchen and...
Kelly D
Craftsman-wanna-be Curb Appeal, NEED HELP with color/material choices!
We have just replaced the stone (very natural brown/grays)...
lauravanslyke
POLL: Does your house have a name?
You don't have to live in Downton Abbey to name your...
need advice renovating mid-century home
I've inherited a mid-century home designed by my architect...
creekgirl
Exterior paint colors
Hi!! I need ideas please for exterior paint colors!...
luvdecor
Need Help Picking Paint Color
What is the best white paint for a Scandanavian farmhouse...
kredd1
What can I do with this staircase wall?
I live on the top (2nd) floor of a townhouse type apartment...
keepitsimple1000
Family Room Help
Need help with furniture placing. Also, advice on how...
gstripling
Stairs in center of kitchen
My current kitchen layout consists of a nice wide u-shaped...
kshanahan
Blah living/dining room! Solutions?!
This dining room living combination needs a new look! The...
soosun2
Sponsored Products
Crystal Column Chrome-Finished Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Illuminati Collection 15" Wide Nook Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Antique Pewter Large Foyer Pendant 3-Light
PLFixtures
Southern Enterprises Elkmont Salem Antique Oak Gel Fireplace - FA9282G
$399.98 | Hayneedle
Maria Theresa Five-Light Crystal Chandelier
$798.00 | Bellacor
Fiber Optic Inner Ornament Fireworks Pre-lit Christmas Tree Multicolor - SZOX7-1
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Imperial Polished Chrome Six-Light Chandeliers
$624.60 | Bellacor
Lite Source Majesty Black Torchiere Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus