Kitchen remodel help! Single, clueless man.
cpdkenny
Hello all,

I am new to kitchen design, a male in my 20's with really no idea. My kitchen is extremely small to go with my small house, but I am going to knock a wall down and open it up a bit. I would just like color scheme ideas. The look of dark (espresso) cabinets has always intrigued me, but I have been reading to keep it light in small kitchens. Would I be better off with a cream color cabinet with a dark glaze? If so, what granite countertop colors would go with that? Or can I get away with darker cabinets and a light countertop. Which would be more masculine and in style longer? Thanks!!
patriciarhall
Is the wall that you are taking down the one we see with the opening and door into the kitchen? If so, what is your thinking on the flooring from the living space in to the kitchen? It appears that the knocked down wall could make room for a peninsula with lower cabinets opening to the kitchen interior and seating around the peninsula on the outer side. Can't tell what kind of light fixture you have in the kitchen, but it looks a bit dim in there. With it open, you can choose light or dark cabinets or countertop. Flooring and lighting need to be addressed. Since your cabinets appear to be painted, I assume you intend to repaint and keep them?
April 21, 2013 at 12:30pm   
patriciarhall
also, consider other paint combinations: http://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic/kitchen/p/8
April 21, 2013 at 12:37pm   
cpdkenny
Yes you are correct, it is the wall with the opening. My idea is exactly what you stated, its going to be a peninsula extension of the countertop, with lower cabinets opening to the inside, and seating on the outside. The lighting is poor, and that's going to be addressed with new recessed lighting, two pendants over the peninsula, and accent lighting. The flooring I want to be a stone-like tile, as I have a mastiff and that's easier to clean. The cabinets are old and are two different kinds, so they are all being removed and replaced. I suppose I was looking for opinions as to what's in style now, and what would look best in that space? I thought I liked dark cabinets best, but I'm thinking they'd show dust like my dark furniture does. After looking at all these pics on here, I'm seeing there are many good looking options.
April 21, 2013 at 12:42pm   
patriciarhall
With the kitchen open to the living area, you will want to consider harmonizing wall colors and cabinetry. Not necessarily to "match" but to compliment. Love your idea of stone-like tile for the flooring, lighting and the penisula! There's some examples with the stone tiles, creamy cabinets and dark countertops in the Houzz kitchens "eclectic" category. Hope you let us in on what you choose!
April 21, 2013 at 12:47pm     
patriciarhall
Is there an IKEA store convenient to you?
April 21, 2013 at 12:49pm   
cpdkenny
Yes, there is rather close. Thanks for the advice!!
April 21, 2013 at 12:57pm   
slgriggs
Make sure this wall is not load bearing. You could,have dark base cabinets and light uppers. Also for counters, please look at the engineered stone like silestone, Cambria, etc. also, Michigan Block has a very nice butcher lock selection. Also, if you like contempory, look into stainless countertops.
April 21, 2013 at 1:08pm   
OnePlan
So we are talking 'rip out and spend' rather than 'make do and mend' then ... Might be worth a trip to a kitchen design studio to see different styles and get a feel for what's achievable at your budget etc. It's a good size - could take a darker colour IMO if that's the style you like !
April 21, 2013 at 1:24pm   
cpdkenny
Rip out and spend it is! The wall is load bearing, but that's nothing that a piece of steel above can't fix. I have gone to a design studio, but it was before I was researching online. I was thinking of a light wood finish, as opposed to a light paint. Will light wood be in style for a while? I suppose I can always paint down the line if it goes out of style.
April 21, 2013 at 1:33pm   
OnePlan
You could ! Have you got any furniture at all for the rest of the place - as you are opening it up you need to consider how it will sit with the rest of your gear !
April 21, 2013 at 1:37pm     
need help re-modeling small bedroom for a man
My boyfriend is currently in Afghanistan and coming...
Clueless remodeler
Could you please share the manufacturer and the name...
"I" Need Houzz Help (for my single-wall kitchen)
We're trying to build a future retirement home in the...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
Help - exterior of home
I am trying to get ideas to update the gingerbread...
shower remodel
We are replacing a 36" x 36" fiberglass shower in our...
Need help for my kitchen
Hi I need help choosing a colour to paint above the...