Mirrors
tinatimenow
I love these mirrors but just can not figure out how to lay out!
um3g
i'd put 3 on each side of the tv if u dont want them all laid out together. If together, then I'd put a console underneath so at least it serves as a dresser/console :D
April 21, 2013 at 12:43pm     
Do you have another place you can put them?
April 21, 2013 at 12:56pm     
onthefence
The mirrors look cool - but to me, the area feels like it needs one BIG thing rather than more small ones.
April 21, 2013 at 12:58pm     
leelee
You've got too many small things going on and the mirrors will just add to that--not a good look. Nothing you could do with them on that wall is going to work! Please don't do it. Can we see pictures of the right and left wall and the wall with the sofa? I'd like to offer some good advice but there's not enough to go on.
April 21, 2013 at 1:16pm     
tinatimenow
Backed up the picture kitchen pendants get in the way a bit. Took down pic on left didn't have to be there. This pic shows mantle on left an walkway on right. Really hoping can use mirrors.
April 21, 2013 at 1:23pm   
leelee
Tina, it's not that the mirrors aren't nice but they are not for that space. What do you have over your mantel? Could you put them there? I see a few picture frames but I can't see the main mantel area. Can we have a look?
April 21, 2013 at 1:29pm     
leelee
I can tell you're looking at that big wall thinking it needs something, aren't you? Have you considered a taller cabinet to house the TV and use the cute white cabinet elsewhere?
April 21, 2013 at 1:31pm     
tinatimenow
Here is mantle. pic above is going to be a bit higher. Sorry for glare we are in Alaska an its from sun on snow :-) also including one of dining area where an what to hang. With just buying house trying to use what I have an not buy more
April 21, 2013 at 1:38pm   
arideau
Consider a focal wall with a nice background color & all over stencil designs. If there's a unified background, the grouped wall items may be less conspicuous.
April 21, 2013 at 1:38pm     
leelee
here are some ideas of how you could house your TV and make the big wall not look so bare.
April 21, 2013 at 1:38pm     
leelee
Thanks for the pics...I really think the mirrors would look great over the mantel. You could still have your smaller picture frames in front of the mirrors. Give it a try.
April 21, 2013 at 1:41pm     
leelee
I understand about wanting to use what you have. I see that you have several pictures in the kitchen that haven't been hung. Your pictures need to be hung low (you mentioned the one over the mantel being raised) Most new decorators make the mistake of hanging things way too high. Maybe you could save for a larger TV entertainment center in the future or if your husband's handy maybe he could build something?
April 21, 2013 at 1:48pm     
leelee
Hope you'll try the mirrors over the mantel and let us see.
April 21, 2013 at 1:49pm     
anne dee

your wall would need something similar to the pic
At present the tv and stand look lost.
Nice mirrors but they do no fit in this area.
April 21, 2013 at 1:54pm     
Empress of The Eye Pillow Collections
Mirrors are a bad choice for such a large area. Really looks sparse. Armoires are a dime a dozen these days...everyone is mounting their tv's. Pick one up cheap and paint it the color of the walls. Or a very large long console would be my first choice. I just picked up a campaign chest about 60" long for $40 at Goodwill. Too many small pieces. Start again and please don't set the room up so that the tv is the focal point...it should be a conversation area and can also be used for viewing, but not just tv watching.
April 21, 2013 at 2:07pm     
leelee
You might be able to build a base for your white cabinet....just a large cube, slightly larger than your cabinet, painted white with your cabinet set on top and the TV inside the cabinet. That would give you some height and wouldn't cost too much. I've looked at your pictures and you have nice furniture and your house is good but the large wall and all the little things, especially the mirrors, cheapen everything else in the room. If all six of your mirrors won't fit over the fireplace then just go with 4.
April 22, 2013 at 5:17am     
tinatimenow
Will try mirrors over mantle. The white stand tv is on is just one piece of a large oak wall unit we had for years we are really burnt out on wall units. so trying to come up with something else to fill wall. Like idea of this to fill up space on large wall.
April 22, 2013 at 9:00am   
leelee
Can't wait to see the mirrors over the FP. Honestly, I think you'd be good to get the rest of the oak wall unit out and re-think using it. No amount of shelves is going to fill the space like something solid will. You're in a new house now (and you said you'd like to use stuff you already had) so maybe we can help you think of new ideas for the old wall unit. I bet we can make it feel right and not the same old wall unit. For example, if the wall unit is painted all white then you can paint the wall a color to add some interest.
April 22, 2013 at 9:34am     
tinatimenow
Thanks for all the input LeeLee. If budget wasn't an issue things would be much easier. but trying to use what I have is the challenge Gave away the rest of the unit before when we moved to Alaska.
April 22, 2013 at 9:42am   
anne dee

something like this might work keeping in mind your budget.
Color blocking would add some pizzazz.
It's close enough to the pic you posted but there is more substance and the color block adds depth.in this pic
April 22, 2013 at 9:51am     
tinatimenow
Anne dee I really like this modern look! Thanks!
April 22, 2013 at 9:55am     
leelee
Drats! How about a mural? How about stencils? Then you just use paints and a stencil and the results are dramatic. The murals aren't cheap but stencils are.
April 22, 2013 at 10:05am   
tinatimenow
Lee Lee I love this idea! My husband did a triangle look with 1/3 lighter than wall color at our old house. Have thought of it but where would it stop towards mantle side an ceiling mantle side? He is busy with work till winter again also and it was time consuming!
April 22, 2013 at 10:41am   
tinatimenow
Kind of like this
April 22, 2013 at 10:44am   
Kathleen McDougall
Sofa on the big wall, loves eat at right angles to sofa with tale in the corner, move chair towards existing sofa, tv over fireplace. Mirrors above sofa, group all the black and white pictures together at right of sofa. Exchange the too tall table and chairs for regular height ones in that dropped ceiling area.
April 22, 2013 at 10:57am     
anne dee

another arrangement but you can reverse your furniture for the same effect as the pic. Similar to the suggestion made by dogwooddesign
April 22, 2013 at 11:24am     
Mirror mirror mirror
Help. Renting a great town home but the master bedroom...
Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors....
Been looking for mirror like this in picture.. Does...
Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. Help, don't know what to do.
The previous owner of my house apparently loved mirrors....
Decorating Open Living Room
I love my new house, but have no idea how to decorate...
Please critique my floorplan
This will be a 2 stories mountain house. Floor plans...
Need Help - Window or corner cabinet? Take a look.
Hello All - Thanks for taking a moment to read about...
Marble Alternative
I need a bit of advice. I am remodeling my kitchen...
update kitchen
We are buying this house. I need help on how to design...