Mirrors
tinatimenow
April 21, 2013
I love these mirrors but just can not figure out how to lay out!
um3g
i'd put 3 on each side of the tv if u dont want them all laid out together. If together, then I'd put a console underneath so at least it serves as a dresser/console :D
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:43PM
Do you have another place you can put them?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:56PM
onthefence
The mirrors look cool - but to me, the area feels like it needs one BIG thing rather than more small ones.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:58PM
leelee
You've got too many small things going on and the mirrors will just add to that--not a good look. Nothing you could do with them on that wall is going to work! Please don't do it. Can we see pictures of the right and left wall and the wall with the sofa? I'd like to offer some good advice but there's not enough to go on.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:16PM
tinatimenow
Backed up the picture kitchen pendants get in the way a bit. Took down pic on left didn't have to be there. This pic shows mantle on left an walkway on right. Really hoping can use mirrors.
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:23PM
leelee
Tina, it's not that the mirrors aren't nice but they are not for that space. What do you have over your mantel? Could you put them there? I see a few picture frames but I can't see the main mantel area. Can we have a look?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:29PM
leelee
I can tell you're looking at that big wall thinking it needs something, aren't you? Have you considered a taller cabinet to house the TV and use the cute white cabinet elsewhere?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:31PM
tinatimenow
Here is mantle. pic above is going to be a bit higher. Sorry for glare we are in Alaska an its from sun on snow :-) also including one of dining area where an what to hang. With just buying house trying to use what I have an not buy more
    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:38PM
arideau
Consider a focal wall with a nice background color & all over stencil designs. If there's a unified background, the grouped wall items may be less conspicuous.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:38PM
leelee
here are some ideas of how you could house your TV and make the big wall not look so bare.
leelee
Thanks for the pics...I really think the mirrors would look great over the mantel. You could still have your smaller picture frames in front of the mirrors. Give it a try.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:41PM
leelee
I understand about wanting to use what you have. I see that you have several pictures in the kitchen that haven't been hung. Your pictures need to be hung low (you mentioned the one over the mantel being raised) Most new decorators make the mistake of hanging things way too high. Maybe you could save for a larger TV entertainment center in the future or if your husband's handy maybe he could build something?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:48PM
leelee
Hope you'll try the mirrors over the mantel and let us see.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:49PM
anne dee

your wall would need something similar to the pic
At present the tv and stand look lost.
Nice mirrors but they do no fit in this area.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:54PM
Empress of The Eye Pillow Collections
Mirrors are a bad choice for such a large area. Really looks sparse. Armoires are a dime a dozen these days...everyone is mounting their tv's. Pick one up cheap and paint it the color of the walls. Or a very large long console would be my first choice. I just picked up a campaign chest about 60" long for $40 at Goodwill. Too many small pieces. Start again and please don't set the room up so that the tv is the focal point...it should be a conversation area and can also be used for viewing, but not just tv watching.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:07PM
leelee
You might be able to build a base for your white cabinet....just a large cube, slightly larger than your cabinet, painted white with your cabinet set on top and the TV inside the cabinet. That would give you some height and wouldn't cost too much. I've looked at your pictures and you have nice furniture and your house is good but the large wall and all the little things, especially the mirrors, cheapen everything else in the room. If all six of your mirrors won't fit over the fireplace then just go with 4.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:17AM
tinatimenow
Will try mirrors over mantle. The white stand tv is on is just one piece of a large oak wall unit we had for years we are really burnt out on wall units. so trying to come up with something else to fill wall. Like idea of this to fill up space on large wall.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:00AM
leelee
Can't wait to see the mirrors over the FP. Honestly, I think you'd be good to get the rest of the oak wall unit out and re-think using it. No amount of shelves is going to fill the space like something solid will. You're in a new house now (and you said you'd like to use stuff you already had) so maybe we can help you think of new ideas for the old wall unit. I bet we can make it feel right and not the same old wall unit. For example, if the wall unit is painted all white then you can paint the wall a color to add some interest.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:34AM
tinatimenow
Thanks for all the input LeeLee. If budget wasn't an issue things would be much easier. but trying to use what I have is the challenge Gave away the rest of the unit before when we moved to Alaska.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:42AM
anne dee

something like this might work keeping in mind your budget.
Color blocking would add some pizzazz.
It's close enough to the pic you posted but there is more substance and the color block adds depth.in this pic
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:51AM
tinatimenow
Anne dee I really like this modern look! Thanks!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:55AM
leelee
Drats! How about a mural? How about stencils? Then you just use paints and a stencil and the results are dramatic. The murals aren't cheap but stencils are.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:05AM
tinatimenow
Lee Lee I love this idea! My husband did a triangle look with 1/3 lighter than wall color at our old house. Have thought of it but where would it stop towards mantle side an ceiling mantle side? He is busy with work till winter again also and it was time consuming!
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:41AM
tinatimenow
Kind of like this
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:44AM
Kathleen McDougall
Sofa on the big wall, loves eat at right angles to sofa with tale in the corner, move chair towards existing sofa, tv over fireplace. Mirrors above sofa, group all the black and white pictures together at right of sofa. Exchange the too tall table and chairs for regular height ones in that dropped ceiling area.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:57AM
anne dee

another arrangement but you can reverse your furniture for the same effect as the pic. Similar to the suggestion made by dogwooddesign
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 11:24AM
mirror facing mirror
how do you keep the mirror facing mirror to avoid the...
ourforeverhome17
I don't see a reply about the mirror question. Mirror?
Please tell me where I can buy a mirror like this....
pantry
Love the mirror but looking for 2 sided mirror for home use
similar to ones in stores to see the back of the clothes...
orayb
Walk through living room
I need help arranging my living room. I really only...
ranch118
Furniture Layout in Living Room
My living room has a beautiful brick fireplace and...
thomast1223
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
kitchen
are double ovens out. I have double over and eye level...
laylamccool
Help finish decorating my living room!
We recently finished a major remodeling, enlarging...
cjhp22