Kitchen remodel -order of the sub-tasks? Tile before appliances?
mitchell foxApril 21, 2013
We are doing a kitchen remodel(new tile floor , using existing subfloor), new granite countertop, new appliances, backsplash, pass through, etc)-
We have not hand stood yet what order these should be in?
What order should these be done in?
Tile floor
Templating of granite countertop
Granite countertop install
New appliance (dishwasher, refrigerator, slide-in stove)
install
Backsplash install
New cabinet install
Wall paint
New outlet installation
New lighting
Demolition
Creation of pass through, new framing

Thanks
Ironwood Builders
Is this a test to see if I'm awake?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 5:02PM
mitchell fox
No, I didn't mean it to be a joke. We were shopping g for granite and one store told us that we had to have the appliances in before the template for the granite countertop was done, so the countertop is the correct fit. Then we didn't know if the tile floor goes in before the appliances. These are real questions for us.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 5:46PM
Ironwood Builders
Sorry...I forget myself sometimes and think everyone knows this stuff! Plus, I was on the verge of a nap!
Order of operations:
demolition
framing (exterior windows and doors)
rough plumbing and HVAC
rough electrical
insulation
wall board and finish
prime wall board
install cabinets
interior trim (doors and windows)
counter top templates (have appliances, sink and faucet on hand)
tile floor
toe kick install
Interior trim (baseboards and shoe mould)
prime and finish paint trim and finish paint walls
install counter tops
install backsplash
install lighting and electrical trim
install plumbing fixtures and HVAC
install appliances

The appliances cannot be installed until the counter tops are in...slide in range goes on top of the counter top! Refrigerator has nothing to do with counter top, same with hood and microwave. Under mount sinks need to be given to the granite fabricator at the time of templating, same with faucet. Granite guy installs sink, plumber installs faucet and hooks up sink (same time as hooking up appliances) Electrician is there at the same time as plumber and HVAC guy to hook up electrical to appliances and trim out switches, outlets and lighting.
10 Likes    Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 7:16PM
mitchell fox
thank you for the detailed response
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:18AM
Ironwood Builders came to the rescue once again !
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:29AM
JWinteriors
The only thing I could possibly add to such a thorough list is...before rough electrical is done, rethink and double check where you want your new recessed cans...under/above cabinet lighting? ..extra outlets...3way switches? ..dimmers? Pendant lights over island/sink? What color switches/receptacles (white, light almond, almond). Do you want toggle vs standard switches? Have these questions answered before electrician comes on board so that all your needs are met correctly.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:33AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Hip, hip, hooray....Dave has saved the day. Ironwood for President.....!..........and I can be the national poet.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:35AM
Riddle Construction and Design
Ironwood you crack me up :) You must have the patience of Jobe to take the time to list out the process....I prefer to take the nap.......
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:25AM
bumblebee728
I will need this info someday soon when I get to my kitchen so I'm saving this list. If Ironwood were President, at least all our homes would be built properly!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:30PM
Ironwood Builders
Jeez, guys! You should see my list of client selections that need to be made before I start the foundation...or the order of operations for a new build on a country property with well, septic, roads(!) and fire safe standards. Good thing we have computers now...used to be all on paper!
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:44PM
Ironwood Builders
Crud! I must have been napping! I left out insulation!
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:47PM
existential
All iI can say is put your granite countertops in before your tile floor. Some of the tile in my condo broke when they rolled the granite over it.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:51PM
bumblebee728
Insulation... Check.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:12PM
Ironwood Builders
Really? My installers always hand carry the slabs in. That way the don't scratch the hardwoods or break tile!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:27PM
OnePlan
When do you have time to work - yet alone sleep !!!!
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:55AM
Madeline
@Ironwood. It is our fondest wish to make it back to California (my husband is a native and I should be viewed as one!) but for many reasons, too sad to go into here, we are stuck in N.E. Florida. If and when we do buy in the Napa/Lake County area we will need someone of your many talents (and sense of humor) and you can be sure we'll be knocking at your door. Please don't turn us away! The fact that you would put together this list and do it with a sense of humor tells us houzzers a lot about you not the least of which is you're a very talented guy and you've got a lot of time on your hands ;)
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:42AM
Ironwood Builders
I have zero time on my hands! I sleep little and work fast. I volunteer at a local non-profit, have horses and an acre and a half to maintain. I run a small business....there is an old saying, "When you want something done, ask a busy person"! Right now is lunch time...I'm catching up on emails and Houzz postings, then punch list and clear out of my latest fabu job until dinner time...run home and eat, then come back to Houzz until I fall asleep in my chair... Tomorrow I finish an estimate for a new job and send it off for my site super and my bookkeeper to look over and jump on the last items on my punch list and call for final inspection...this is my life...do you wonder that I am single? I'll be doing this until I drop or manage to find a really cheap beach somewhere (really, really cheap!). So when you make it back to NorCal, I'll be here!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:00PM
kimdee24
Cripes, man. I am exhausted just reading that. I have too much time on my hands. If there was a way, I would be happy to pass some of it to you.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:10PM
Jayme H.
Let's have a party.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:13PM
kimdee24
Lets!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:19PM
existential
I think Ironwood should be cloned! I enjoy him and learn things, some of them useless to me :-), but I read them anyway.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:34PM
Madeline
@Ironwood. You're probably single for the same reason you're so popular on houzz. You're into the details. But details consume an awful lot of time. I know I married someone like that. I wish I could say he was rewarded for his effort monetarily but he knew he was doing the right thing. (I can recall years ago at a business conference at a N.Y. golf resort, all the other department heads were on the golf course or the tennis court. MY DH was on a teleconference call with his European managers.) And looking at the details of a relationship under a magnifying glass when all should be "light and air" and "wonderful" can sometimes open one's eyes to things better left unseen and not talked about. Enjoy yourself Ironwood, find the right women, get married and make a few exemptions! You need them in the great Golden state of California!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:34PM
Ironwood Builders
Maddy, way past the point of exemptions! I'm a grandpa! I have three kids over 21 and I no longer have to be Dad for 8 hours a day.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 2:52PM
Trying to do a quick inexpensive update to kitchen before total remodel in a year.
I am thinking painting cabinets and a chandelier over...
surf37
Kitchen Remodel Before & After
After 10 years of living in our home, we finally got...
Sally
Before & After: 1950's Kitchen Remodel on a $15k Budget
Before and After - using existing birch wood cabinets...
a Hef
Before and after kitchen remodel
First floor floors changed to engineered hardwood,...
kmoyer101
LOCZIdesign | Old School San Francisco Kitchen Remodel (Before and After)
We had the privilege of working closely with our clients,...
LOCZIdesign
Bathroom update...my husband likes the big mirror, and I don't!
We purchased a home built in the 70's. The vanity...
Nancy Blowers
New Home in desperate need of HELP! What is missing?
We are buying this home and I need help fixing whatever...
Julie Smith
Kitchen sink dilemma.
Freshening up kitchen by painting cabinets, new countertop,...
itsy
Need ceiling light fixture for Powder Room with sloped ceiling
We need a ceiling fixture for our Powder Room, which...
Ann Becker
kcpotter@shaw.ca
I am interested in getting some 'curb appeal' for the...
kellypotter