Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoner0818

My stair rails are white, I am considering painting the tops of rails black.

stoner0818
11 years ago
Keep white or paint tops black?

Comments (9)

• leelee
    11 years ago
    Keep white. Looks like picture #2 has a stained wood rail. I think black would be too stark next to the white.
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/142550
    Here's a black handrail
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Stay white and replace the carpet.
    EDDIE House · More Info

Gretchen · More Info
  • PRO
    Signature Metal Works
    9 years ago
    Agree - keep white and get a lighter carpet.
  • PRO
    Mirens Inc
    9 years ago
    Love it!
  • luiisantonio
    9 years ago
    If you want paint this for black, change for a lighter carpet and change the color walls for something between white and black, like a soft grey. And after can you play with black and white and prints with the same palet of colours and some details with others colors
  • PRO
    COCo
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

In response to your request I would vote against that you should not paint the handrail. Since it is rather large for a small width staircase and on two sides, and it dead ends into a wall sharply, the railing is actually too large for the width of the stairs. Unless you have a handicap it appears overbuilt.

Colors:

The photo above depicts the removal of the carpet, dark treads and light white risers. This would assist in the darkness and make the steps brighter, safer and easier to traverse. The carpet could stay up on the top area. I think this would take care of the darkness and make the space larger and a bit more elegant.

Colors:

Carpet: Grey with a carpet over carpet look in the area by the window.

Color of trim: Benjamin Moore Semi- gloss color: Reflective White

Color of walls: Benjamin Moore Eggshell color:

The stair rail moves into a wall and does not have a long line or lean look for a black handrail I think by adding black it will be lost.

What I would suggest is a pair of beautiful carved Finials at the bottom of the stair.

Sample not my first choice:

cone finial - this one is grey, but they come in many shapes and sizes. Plain simple round, a pineapple.

2nd option is made of a stone. The ones for you should be wood.

Wood is what I suggest, finish a high gloss lacquer.

It is a very tight, stairwell, it would be lovely to take the carpet up and have a dark tread, white riser. This would extend the stairwell with a longer leaner line. Very simple and not costly.

1. I would move the two wall units in the open area by the window. That is a great location for a table, with a drawer, a set of beautiful table lamps and your treasures each shown off quite simply. The light will expand the area with brightness.

This would bring your eye over to this area, the height of the bookcases is creating a shorter, squatter wall and smaller area. It is very nice the opening with a window. I would pick a sofa table as below from Houzz and change out now. Good time to get ready for spring.

Very beautiful mirror and will bring in your wall, your white and the turquoise as a bit of color.
    edge of frame is multicolored hangs horizontal with lamp on either side. And your treasures on table. This will light up this area and I think create a warmer more inviting space.
    hang 1 mirror frame is lovely - hang horizontal, not too high
    2 lamps either side, and some of your pieces you collect in center. All the colors you have now with a bit of silver white for reflection. And this does work well with the mirror and the table.

The next suggestion is a hanging lamp in the stairwell. It is very dark. The color of the carpet is dark and the walls look dark, I think it is just lighting. And, if would be good to remove the carpet.

Stairwell lamp in the center at the top to radiate light on the side walls.

This is a very nice wood, not my first choice, but I have seen it lit and looks great. Light, airy and the stairwell will not feel closed in.

Option 2 - This gives light and reflection off of it, again this comes in other colors, it is in Houzz under chandeliers, Surya I believe. This comes in many colors.

On the wall next to the staircase you need to address the pieces they have hanging there. Most likely adt, thermostat. It would be nice to have a cloth wall hanging that would cover this however give you the ability to adjust whatever they are? Light color background white preferably and either silk screen or knitted or loomed. This hanging should be long about 6 feet. If not than a photo or piece of sculpture from floor up and attached to the wall for safety.

The concept of a small table and lamp is nice, but you do not want the lamp on the table, it will only clutter the look of the stair rails and it is busy there already with white, and the wall and no light.

If you move the black bookshelf over this will take care of the adt unit, with a photo or something in front. On this unit you can always put a small tiny lamp for the night should someone walk downstairs.

I would now stop.

Review:

Move one black bookcase next to stair.

Move second black bookcase into next room.

Add sofa table with two lamps and your display items on them where the tall bookcases are now positioned.

Place mirror above for reflection of light from outside and the shimmer on the frame. Will help pull all colors together.

Add chandelier in stairwell to brighten it up, art work on the walls as you go up. This could become the family collage picture wall.

I believe that completes the mission.

Second option cut two areas out of the sheet rock and put rock in the back end.

8" deep 14" high both opposite. In this small nook add light portable battery or recharge operated and put in few items that are collection.

Let this light stay on all night for people coming and going.

Paint: Color: Reflective White Ceiling - Semi Gloss

Walls: Reflective White cut 25% with grey 201 and a bit of silver shards.

Finish: Eggshell.

Carpet in rooms stay as is.

Carpet in staircase comes up, stain ebony treads reflective white

Finished

Enjoy.

I hope this helps.

• Connie Bundy
    2 years ago

I think the black handrail is a great idea! It will keep from showing soil, and look up to date with whatever other themes you are using. Use a Gloss paint. If you think that is too dark, you can also do something in a deep gray that will be easy to keep clean and beautiful.