Need ideas for sidelight windows
Grasshopper
I would like a little privacy in my sidelights and need some low cost ideas. I've checked out window film but would that look too tacky? Other suggestions?
lvlaplata
There are also stencils and frosted white window paint in a spraycan that may look nice. Try one design and if you don't like it you could always scrape it back off with a putty knife. Certain department stores also sell curtains designed to fit sidelites in doors. Sorry but I can't remember which stores. Could be Sears or JCPenney.com. Good luck.
April 21, 2013 at 9:36PM   
Marie-Josée
If done right, film can look just as good as real frosted glass. It takes patience but it's worth it. I had done this with my bathroom window and you couldn't tell it was film. What I used was a shower squeegee and I had cut the film a couple of inches wider than my window. You have to press hard on the film with the squeegee as you roll it down slowly and remove the protective paper as you go down. The sqeegee prevents the formation of air bubbles between the window and the film... I hope this helps and good luck !
April 21, 2013 at 9:55PM     
nightgirl151
In my sidelights, I used window sheers made specifically for sidelights, they allow the light to pass through, but offer privacy as well. You can buy small tension rods to attach sheers to that do not require major install work. Sheers come in a variety of colors to suit your decor.
April 21, 2013 at 10:29PM   
SOLARIS
www.decorativefilm.com Lots of choices that will look like art glass at a fraction of the cost. They even have some new products that are static cling making a DIY application easier. You can ask your local window film professional and they will probably have a sample book they can bring to your home. Good luck!
May 6, 2013 at 7:10PM     
jabbott2012
I used the window film in a small bath window.....looks great.
May 6, 2013 at 7:23PM   
I like the sidelights the way they are. For you to lose privacy, a peeper would have to have his nose pressed against the glass. That said, if you add mullions to the windows it cuts down on visability.

May 6, 2013 at 7:26PM   
Linda
I've used the window film on the bathroom windows in my own house and it looks ok...it just took forever to get it done as my bathroom has two windows, both 6 over 6. I only put it on the bottom sash, but still took a while to cut all 12 pieces.

Now, I typically use the glass frosting spray from Krylon. I must warn you that it smells horrible so make sure you do it on a nice day so you can open all the windows to get the smell out. If you decide that you don't like it, it can be removed with mineral spirits
May 6, 2013 at 7:29PM   
LB Interiors
I've used window films and they look real nice, don't look cheap in any way.
May 6, 2013 at 7:30PM   
May 6, 2013 at 7:33PM   
decofriend
Much prefer the frosted glass over the curtains! Assorted film options are available at building box stores. They come in a variety of patterns and are inexpensive. For a clean modern custom look, cut basic film 1-11/2" smaller than your opening, leaving a 1/2 -3/4" clear glass space framing the frosted area much like a bevel edge on a mirror.
May 6, 2013 at 7:39PM     
mccdisco
Look for a local stained glass artist...they can add beautiful designs and help with the privacy issues. I have made stained glass windows for sidelights....here are a couple of them
May 6, 2013 at 7:40PM   
larajaye
I'm no help, but what colour did you paint your door? Thanks :-)
May 6, 2013 at 7:50PM   
Grasshopper
Larajaye: I just bought the house so have no idea what the front door paint colour is... Sorry!
May 6, 2013 at 8:54PM   
Grasshopper
Thanks for all the options! Soo hard to choose. I will research the window film more. I would want something that looks like stained glass but very simple and modern. I will take a look at the website recommended above. Otherwise my backup might be curtains (which can be removed easily) but done as a straight sheet across the window (like ikea panels).
May 6, 2013 at 8:59PM   
Nancy Walton
I like the file that looks like seeded glass. Just enough "waves" for privacy, but clear so it doesn't cut the light.
May 6, 2013 at 10:19PM   
Have to decide between alder wood or maple wood cabinets?
I have to decide between alder wood or maple wood cabinets....
Need help with decorating narrow living room and walls
Hello, We just recently moved into our new home...
Floral couch
How can I make this room with the floral couches a...
new kitchen update
We recently embarked on updating our kitchen. We had...
What to put on this dining room wall
I've been decorating my dining room over the past few...