Vent for stove/cooktop
hrosa66
Do you have to have some type of vent for your cooktop? We want to remove a wall to open up the kitchen, but that takes out the vent.
Ironwood Builders
Yep....code says so.
1 Like   April 21, 2013 at 9:05PM
Bob Ybarra Building Designer
Consider a decorative hood or replacing cooktop with one that has a downdraft vent, though this will need to find a route to the outside. I do not recommend eliminating a vent altogether.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 9:43PM
Ironwood Builders
The code allows kitchens built before current requirements came into effect to be "grandfathered" in. Remodeling a kitchen means it must be brought up to current standards. Operable windows do not count in the current code..used to in bathrooms, but not any more. Tell that inspector not to discuss code unless he can quote chapter and verse. I can..but it is late and this is free...not my paying job!
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 9:55PM
onthefence
In addition to the fact that it's a code requirement, you WANT a vent in your kitchen. If you spend much time cooking in a kitchen that has inefficient venting, you'll realize how important it really is. That amazing meal you fixed for dinner doesn't smell quite as great when the aroma is still in the rest of your house at 10pm.
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 12:27AM
Jayme H.
If you do any cooking, a vent is essential...You will soon find a greasy residue on the walls, cabinets, etc..without one.
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 5:29AM
S. Thomas Kutch
ironwood is correct. Your remodel could and probably has crossed over the line of renovation to new construction based on the ratio of the space being remodeled, therefore, you would not be covered by the "grandfather" exemption............however, with that said, there is this little statement at the beginning of just about any code......."The Authorities having jurisdiction...". Your local building department may very well still accept an operable window in the kitchen as acceptable. I would ask for a confirmation by the chief inspector if you are still in question about it.............use your resources available, that's what your tax dollars are paying for.

With all that said.....................regardless of what the building department will accept, I would still put a vent hood with an exhaust fan to the exterior if you do any cooking at all.
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 5:49AM
hazeldazel
dude, it doesn't matter if it's okie dokie via code or not! Get the danged vent! I lived in a kitchen with only a recirculating "vent" (no venting to outside) and not only did smoke/steam accumulate, but a layer of grease built up EVERYWHERE! I don't even fry food! There was also a mildew issue in the corners. It's in the code for a reason, you know? This is in sunny, non-humid California BTW.

Nothing like smelling last night's salmon, the next morning... yummmm.
3 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 12:49PM
jnjnthomas
Consider relocating your cooktop/stove to a different wall when you remove the wall. It will make a vent easier to install. I recommend installing an in-line vent or an exterior vent. These move the fan to the attic or crawl space or outside the house. I installed a Broan model and we love it because it is extremely quiet since the fan is in the attic. All we hear is the air whooshing through the filter, and it is moving 600 cfm. It is nice being able to leave the fan on low while we are eating with guests because it keeps the air fresh without the loud fan noise that the all in ones have. A fan will also reduce the number of false alarms from your smoke detector in the kitchen.
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 3:13PM
Roseann Mortali
I have a new GE cafe series gas stove with no vent, it is not code to have one in Massachusetts (our plumber pulled a permit and we were inspected by the town). I have had no issues without a vent.
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 3:54PM
When we bought it, our 1920's era house had no vent over the kitchen range. We lived with it like that for twelve years. Am I making an argument that going without a vent is fine? I'm afraid not. Putting in a professional-strength exterior-venting hood (we too chose a Broan) was one of my top priorities for our renovation. Before we installed the hood we had a residue of stickiness over everything near the range, thus requiring constant cleaning, and had cooking smells that lasted well into the following day. Now, three years post renovation? Clean shelves and clean air.
3 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 4:10PM
Robin W
I just replaced my vent hood yesterday after living without one for a month. I love having it back. (I didn't get Broan but it works just fine). I'd try rearranging your space before living without.
2 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 4:27PM
J & D Interiors
You might look into a 'downdraft' vent with a remote blower attached to the exterior of your home; or an inline blower that's placed in the duct run in the floor. Dacor appliances has some really nice down draft units. www.dacor.com
1 Like   April 22, 2013 at 4:41PM
kimdee24
Another vote for the vent hood. I just did something I never do -- got distracted and left a burner on with the saute pan on the hob. Thought I'd turned it off. Definitely glad for the vent hood right now.
1 Like   April 22, 2013 at 4:43PM
Ironwood Builders
Rosann, read S. Thomas Kutch's comment about enforcement...and know that all 50 states, all US protectorates and the District of Columbia have approved the International Residential Code for use. Enforcement is optional...but not building to code leaves you open to liability and can affect resale.
1 Like   April 22, 2013 at 9:58PM
ReMax - Lisa
@roseanne. Using a gas stove without venting out doors can be very dangerous, regardless of code.. Why wait for the government to tell you that its not safe, read up on the products of combustion and decide for yourself. Better to be safe than dead from carbon monoxide poisoning
1 Like   April 22, 2013 at 10:24PM
Need help on my bedroom windows
Hi guys! I recently took off cellular shades and floor...
Updating Colonial House
I am trying to come up with an affordable way to break...
Need specialist advice for seamless movement from family room to kitch
I am updating my newly purchased house. I want the...
kitchen project/cabinet hardware/flooring
updating my kitchen.. the last picture is the before...
Need help identifying this baby furniture item?
A friend gave this to me and told me it was a walker...