Bookshelves/ bricks: paint, remove??? Need Opinions!
dcastle_99
Hello, my husband and I are doing projects around the house to make our home more to our taste. We want to save for a large future renovation! We need opinions on our living room bookshelves and wood stove hearth which need to stay for the next 3-4 years. I want to paint the brick a charcoal and then want to either paint the bookshelves a lighter grey or white and do a contemporary stencil on the back of each shelf. The other idea I have is to just rip off the bookshelves themselves, leave the bottom with the doors and paint it, put more contemporary hardware, then put some floating shelves where the old ones were, and beef up the mantle around the brick. Ideas??? Please and thank you! Danielle
A. Peltier Interiors
I am sure its just there temporarily, but the mirror is way too tall for the space. If you took that out and really beefed up the bookshelf with architectural details, like a thick molding at the top, and then a matching molding to thicken up the mantel, I think you will like the bookcases better. Then paint everything a white, including the brick. Put on some fantastic hardware and then add some tall baskets on top of the bookcase. You cans tore stuff in there too. I do like the idea of a stencil to replicate a wallpaper on the back of the shelves. Search photos of fireplaces on Houzz to get some inspiration as well.
April 22, 2013 at 8:53am     
dcastle_99
Thank you for the feedback! The only problem that I have with painting everything white is that this room is open to the stairs and is open to the upstairs hall, and has a vaulted ceiling with beams, everything floors, moulding, and doors are all that same stained wood color. I'm making it work for now, but it will all be white in the future! :) Danielle
April 22, 2013 at 8:58am   
Susan Mills Design
To me the fireplace should be the feature. No matter what you do to it, the shelves dwarf the fireplace. Whatever you put there will not look right. I would remove the shelves for now, keep the bases as is until you are able to do the whole job.
April 22, 2013 at 9:06am     
Daniela Levesque ID
Hi there! you are lucky to have decent bookshelves to "play" with - don't tear them out!! I agree with the above comment to paint white! I dont even think you need to add extra mouldings these will look nice and contemporary with white paint and new hardware, you could do extra long bar type pulls using the existing drill hole on top and drilling another hole near the bottom of doors. When bulking up the mantle make sure you add the bulk to the bottom of the existing mantle so its covering the brick so the mantle doesnt end up even higher than it is now. If you are worried about tying in with the existing woodwork simply keep the mantle in the stained wood colour but paint the shelves and brick white. Also great idea to add baskets on top...keep these in same tone as your wood work and it will further give you another element that ties into all the other woodwork in the room. Althouth the stencil is a fun idea it may be wasted time as it may get lost when you dress the shelves! I prefer a solid accent paint for the backs and then staging the shelves in a way that really pops! If you like I can send you some visuals of similar shelves in white that I've done and with the right accessories even basic shelves like this can look amazing!!! Good luck!
April 22, 2013 at 9:09am     
mjlb
I think your idea of floating shelves would work well -- see my very, very poor photoshop-type attempt at same:
April 23, 2013 at 5:53am     
dcastle_99
@mjlb.
Thank you for taking the time to create a photo. It is nice to see the bookshelves taken off! I think we are going to try taking one bookshelf off, they are not directly attached to the bottom, and see what it looks like before taking the other one down! We are definitely going to make a larger mantel and paint the brick and cabinets! Now to pick the right colors! Thanks again! Danielle
April 23, 2013 at 6:14am   
dcastle_99
Thanks to everyone for your comments! All great ideas, I now have to form a plan! It is taking shape and I will post pictures later when the project is complete! :)
April 23, 2013 at 6:15am   
What Size Subway Tile, 3x6, 4x8, or 4x12?
Hello, We are putting in Cambria Torquay Quartz...
Need help with window trim idea
I have remodeled kitchen in 1900 farm house. Cabinetry...
Interior laundry needs restoring
Attached images are before and after our "contractor"...
Replacement windows experience? Pella, Simonton ??...
We bought a home in Tampa we love, but has single paned...
How to modernize?
This might be impossible! I've finished redecorating/redoing...