Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_180036

Need help choosing an area rug

User
11 years ago
I am on a quest to add color in my great room. Have always been afraid of color and have gravitated to greige and brown to keep it simple. I just refinished an old dresser in Turquoise and need help tying all the color together. I think a new area rug will unify the space, but just don't know.

Comments (320)

• Ann
    10 years ago
    Gosh, am I the only one who thinks the scale and color of the rug looks great in the living room?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann, I am liking it. I think with a few tweaks its going to work. The pillows, the chair and the throw are what makes it out of whack for me. I really appreciate all your help and support.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Well, it will be fun to see how it progresses. As much as I love Houzz, I sometimes feel a great, comfortable room can get kind of messed up by too many suggestions pulling the person posting in too many directions. You have very good taste and are doing a great job. Please continue to filter through the suggestions finding the ones that match your gut feelings from actually living in the space and also match your budget. We all might "start over" with our homes if budget allowed but we've also all invested a great deal of money in our stuff and maybe we can make nice (but not perfect) changes by mostly repurposing what we already have with just minor additions and deletions. Also, if we spend a bunch of money trying to make it "perfect", styles will quickly change making it not so perfect quite soon. I think your room looks very nice and you've nicely accomplished your goal of adding color.
  • Delfina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    IMHO>>>I love this rug with your decor, the chair-- are you keeping it? (reupholster) and get some new pillows. The size, color and all is perfect for that space.
  • mamao1956
    10 years ago
    I know exactly how you feel Margaret! I got 3/4 done with my dining room thanks to Houzz, but the last part has me stymied. I'm afraid to pull the trigger on drapes and fabric for my chair cushions; it's too big an investment to make a mistake on colors. I have a decorator coming next week to help me. She seems nice on the phone and her portfolio looks good, but I sure hope she can produce what I'm seeing in my mind. Nervous!!!
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    I think the sisal in the great room is a "great" idea. The rug seems like a great bargain at that price and if it works in the DR, so much the better. I was thinking it was maybe a 5 digit dollar rug that you might be stuck with! Whew. And if that had been the case another can or two of paint for the console could have made it "all better" Not suggesting you go in a totally different color direction (love what you have there) but, a tone or two off could make it all feel right. However, with the sisal in the GR, you now open up your options for recovering the chair. I know you'll find a happy ending. :-)
  • Charnelle Els
    10 years ago
    Hi. I'm new to houzz so I've just read your post from the beginning. I think you are on the right track but you're getting overwhelmed. Wait until your floors are done then take the next step. What you've done so far is fantastic. My opinion would be to use the same size rug but in a plain taupe or stone colour with a texture not a design on it. Your throw and pillows work really well in the space. I would even keep the chair, just steam clean it and swap out the cushion for a plain aqua coloured one. Even your "find" works well. Hang in there you're doing great.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I hope your husband delays helping you change rugs so you can live with that one for a few days. I think it makes everything in the room work, even the chair. I looked at the pictures again this morning and I really like your room just as it is! The colors in the rug are exceptional for pulling everything together (IMHO).
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann, I just got back from my Mom's in Virginia. Spent the day planting flowers and installing one of my husband's handmade birdhouses. My mother always had the most beautiful garden's. I planted the flowers right outside her kitchen door around the the patio, she can see them from the kitchen table where she spends most of her time. Mom has dementia and its always a tough day when we visit. I came home and read your comments and I was so touched. Thank you.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Nice going Margaret
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Does your husband happen to sell the birdhouses? I'm building a bird sanctuary in my backyard...
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Yes, these are the three different styles he has right now. Left is a basic Birdhouse, middle is a Martin house with 8 apartments and the right side is a Feeder. He can custom build anything you like based on pictures and dimensions. He also makes furniture, custom farmhouse tables and such.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Does he have a website? I love the little copper roofs! I would give you my e-mail, but I don't want to go public with it here. Does he have a facebook page?
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    So sorry to hear about your tough day! Happy Mother's Day to your mom!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No I can create one in the morning and post the link. We sell to the local nurseries and gift shops, but have been considering expanding.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Ann, just all part of life. She had a really good day today and we are grateful for that.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Margaret. I appreciate it, they are so nicely built!
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I know I'm off the track of your design discussion but I'm just wondering if your mom is able to live alone? My parents are both gone but dealing with the issues of aging parents can be emotional for all. My husband's mother is still living and doing well in her 80s (she lives alone but her children are in the same city). How far away is your mom? I'm glad today was a good day for her.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    [houzz=
    Amy Butler Hand Tufted Wool Rug Bright Buds · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    I think your new rug is a good choice, though the size is probably too small- I would think the rug supplier should exchange the size for you since he changed your mind for you. The hardwood floors will completely change how it looks. It will pop more once that is done. If you keep all your turquoises the same color it would take away from your cabinet. I love having different shades of blue throughout the space. Choose one more pop of color to make it all go together- a touch of pink, orange, yellow or maybe if there is a 3rd color in your chair. Right now the room is tans/browns with one other color....I think adding that extra one will just give it that finish it needs. When I look at your dining room- which is gorgeous- you added that pop of 'purple' in the flowers which just added that last touch to finish it. It doesn't have to be bright.
    Yellow and Turquoise Bathroom · More Info
    Alterman · More Info
    Stevenson · More Info
    Camino Santander, Santa Fe Residence · More Info
  • Delfina
    10 years ago
    I love, love the Alterman kitchen pic from above, it really inspires me to paint my cabinets this color. I also love that all the drawers have different handles.
  • ghel
    10 years ago
    Just came across this post and couldn't believe that your living room looks almost identical to mine. Love the turquoise accents....now I will be stealing your ideas!
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I really like Kelly's comment and agree that the slighty various shades of turquoise/blue look very good together, much better than a perfect match would. I don't think the rug is too small but I can see how Margaret might feel that way for a bit since it's replacing a larger one. Whenever you have been used to looking at a room a certain way for a long time, a change like that can take some getting used to. I have beautiful wood floors and want to really show them off but at the same time add a small pop of rug color, so I've chosen to just use a 5x8 rug under only the coffee table. I'm sure most designers would say "go bigger" (except the Ethan Allen designer who came over and suggested I use that rug in that spot), but recent pictures (while browsing Houzz) are showing more and more rugs under the coffee table only. Typically, they are more modern minimalist homes with rugs that are very special (like tribal rugs), but I like the clean, uncluttered look. Sorry to ramble, but Margaret, your new rug definitely follows the "front legs" rug size option, the color is perfect to tie everything together and I think it looks very nice. Just yesterday I was noticing how light and bright the room has become since the beginning and Kelly's suggestion of a small pop of another color (repeated just a few times) did occur to me too - I'm not sure what color would be best, but I really like that idea.
  • Charnelle Els
    10 years ago
    I think that once the floors are in it will make a huge difference. I think the rug is the perfect size and color. I don't think that another color should be added for a pop, because you have all the different designs. I think it will become too busy. It is just right in my opinion.
  • maritafay
    10 years ago
    I have enjoyed following this discussion and am looking forward to seeing pics of your vision coming to fruition.
  • skksk
    10 years ago
    I ve been enjoying your journey too! And I just came across this rug on Joss and Mains website and thought of you . You may have sen it already but just on case.......I hope the link works. If not its a rug called Diana.
  • skksk
    10 years ago
  • skksk
    10 years ago
    Sorry! I'm obviously technologically challenged!
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Wow, Margaret, I think this might just be The One!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Hi Margaret - When I went into house this morning this was the picture that was on my initial screen. I noticed the smaller rug size. I was thinking I was seeing smaller rug sizes in mostly modern homes, but I guess not. I am seeing it often enough that I'm beginning to wonder if it is becoming a trend.
    [houzz=
    Home Staging Hingham, Scituate, South Shore, MA · More Info
    ]
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Have you decided your new rug is great in the living room or is it moving to the dining room?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann, I have decided to keep it in the living room. The rug really brightens the space, and DH actually likes it too! I absolutely think it is the right decision, The majority of responses were that it is too small, but I like it as is. The Sofa and Chair legs are all on the rug, so I don't think I am breaking any "design rules". I think once we get the hardwood installed it will look even better.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Nice going Margaret B.
  • Charnelle Els
    10 years ago
    Great stuff! Please post a picture once your floors are in. I'm dying to see what the end result is.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will post when the floors are done. Thanks for all the help and support along the way.
  • penelopesdreamydesigns
    10 years ago
    Cute Lilly dog looks spoiled, we have a spoiled one too.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lilly is definitely spoiled! She is an 80lb lap dog!
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I'm very glad to hear that. I think it's really great in the room and I'm amazed at how well those rug colors make all your existing furniture work together - the turquoise pieces, the couch and all three of the chairs. Very good choice.
    BTW, my dining table was picked up to have the top refinished in a dark color. I took your advice and I'm getting it quite a bit more distressed to give it the look of an old farm table. I'm also going to buy two of the Restoration Hardware nailhead dining armchairs in the color Sand (for the ends of the table). The chairs might take a while because I'm waiting until the local Restoration Hardware factory outlet store gets two in so I can save several hundred dollars. I'll shorten my table by taking out a leaf and use two of the wooden chairs on each side instead of three. Thanks again for your help on my dining table.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann you must be so excited that the Dining room project is underway. I absolutely think you made the right decision with the table, paying homage to the style. I think it is going to be beautiful with the darker top and some distressing. It would cost you a fortune to get a new table of the same quality with that look, Adding the restoration hardware chairs will be a nice finishing touch pulling it all together. Your home has understated elegance, very livable, but elegant. I have a lot to learn from you! I can't wait to see pics.
    I do want to thank you for all your support on my project, have been reflecting on it a great deal over the past several days. I started out trying to add color to the room without replacing everything I already own. I wanted to keep the neutral foundation and add pops of teal and turquoise. I think the TV console and the rug helped me accomplish what I set out to do and I just need to tweak the rest of the room a bit. I did talk to a decorator and shared what had been done so far. Her suggestions was to get the hardwood installed and then we can work on accessorizing the room together. She liked the concept of the gallery wall, but felt it needed a bit of rearranging, wants to simplify the mantle and add a few plants. All in all she said that the room was well done, it just needed some minor updates that could be accomplished in an afternoon.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    That's great - I'm sure the decorator liked the room! I am a little suprised at changes to the gallery wall though - yours is one of the most well done I've seen.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Margaret, will you be getting that chair reupholstered? I'll be anxiously awaitin new photos!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hello Nancy, I have decided not to do anything until the floors are done. My eldest daughter lives in Alaska with 3 of my granddaughters, they are coming for a visit in 3 weeks, When they visit we spend the majority of our time outdoors. Been spending most of my time in the backyard trying to clean out the gardens and get the pool ready for summer. We also had to re-screen the porch thanks to the redecorating efforts of Lilly and my grandpup Issy! Screen was 10 years old, so I can't complain and it looks great now. We are focused on trying to get everything cleaned up and ready for their visit and a big family BBQ. Never a dull moment around here. We will do the floors in early July after they return home.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Send it as a before and after, that way it will come to the front of the discussions and we'll find you when the time comes.
  • penelopesdreamydesigns
    10 years ago
    Margaret, Hey I love the rug you chose and like its softness of color,
    it will look gorgeous with the new flooring, you have done a great job,
    love the close up of the chair very pretty with the new rug and pulls
    everything together, I like rooms that evolve over time so it shows the
    personality of the designer.

BTW, We have an 8lb. spoiled rotten adorable Chihuahua we rescued,
    he is a sweetheart and so much fun : )
  • Jes
    10 years ago
    I LOVE what you did with the space! Lots of help here.. isn't this place amazing? Do you mind me asking where you got the treatment for your french doors? It may be just what I've been searching for!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jojolatte. I actually found the fabric roman shades at Lowes! They were quite affordable and they had several fabrics available.
  • PRO
    Frame My TV
    10 years ago
    I love that TV Frame! We have Frames, Mirrors, and Art work to cover up your TV. Checkout www.framemytv.com to see for yourself.
  • jwhistler
    10 years ago
    Choose A bright to go with the pastel blue
  • josephhandle33
    9 years ago
    You know there is this rug store online that my friend was telling me about, it photo shops rugs into a picture of your home so you can see what it looks like before you buy it. It sounds really cool and my friend said it worked for him. I don't know what do you guy think?
    This is the link to the page.
    http://arearugspremier.com/pages/in-home-viewer