Blah! Neutral two story fireplace wall flanked by windows
Paula AliersApril 22, 2013
Help! I need suggestions. Our two story wall above the fireplace looks unfinished. The mirror may look tiny but it isn't, it is 3 feet X 5 feet and HEAVY. I think the wall needs decoration, curtains, architectural detail or something added. Right now, Its very vanilla.
Curtains? maybe floor to ceiling only on the far sides? I would never close them, just to add some color.
Wood? maybe add more white wood and trim to carry the fireplace all the way up the wall.
I like my mirror and don't want to get rid of it. Once I put it up there, it seemed so short. I think if I raised it there would still be so much emptiness above. What to do?
Plus in the pictures I included the side wall which is even more vast emptiness.
Right now the wall seems so blah. I sit in the room and I am so disappointed in what I've done with it.
The room has a brown leather couch and chair, and tan chair with brown writing. a thick beautiful brown and cream rug, and some little red accents and some red on pillows.
Please help me fix this coffee and vanilla latte room!
Don't tinker with trim. If you want more of the wall covered, consider hanging a beautiful vertical Persian rug or other artistic wall hanging over the mantel:
Scenic Drive Project
Morning Room
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 11:27AM
Brenda
I do not undestand why builders do windows like that.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 11:37AM
Paula Aliers
I know! I wish they would have put floor to ceiling windows. There is so much space between the top and bottom windows, they look so odd up there. -Plus they open but who's going to climb up there to get fresh air? ha ha
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:04PM
Lots of people are closing the upper portion of these two-story rooms and gaining a media room. Your windows are perfect for doing that, and you're already paying for the utilities. Otherwise, replace the upper windows with solid or stained glass - the fact that they are just standard windows makes the whole attempt look silly. As far as your mirror goes, replace the ceiling fan with a stunning chandelier that drops low enough to reflect in your mirror. A chunkier pair of candlesticks to one side and a piece of something sculptural or a large vase/urn on the other side should be plenty, especially if you do the chandy. Keep in mind that life happens in the first 8 feet of a room - don't get too stressed out.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:14PM
Punch List
I would suggest a stark contrasting color such as red. It will definitely stand out against the light colored wall.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:43PM
Punch List
I also think these style curtains for a two story window is great! (Also check out the chandelier in the mirror) I totally agree with decoenthusiaste!
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:45PM
Thoughts on furniture selection & arrangement for a 16x14 two-story family room
The FR in our newly purchased townhouse presents a...
Ellie O
need help picking a neutral color to paint interior
My new home built in the 90's has great floor plan....
hglovett
Big room gone Blah!
I have a wonderful home with every room overlooking...
debiok
Neutral nursery help!
I need ideas how to finish this small nursery room!...
lmac_1
Need help with LR it looks a little blah and lifeless. Just moving in
Open floor plan a lot of doors/windows with very little...
Robi
Need help for my bedroom
My bedroom is about 120 square feet and a closet apart...
roomdesign123321
Kitchen update
Will azul platino granite countertops look good with...
Cheris Bass
the color of my tub is bone. What color of tiles would match the tub.
Since my tub has bone color, I should also keep my...
elviesantayana
Need ideas for such small windows
We are about to start furnishing our new town house,...
Patrick Chen
Which rug?
Which blue rug should I keep for the family room? I'm...
eyereezy