HUGE wall?!?!?
lisamattheis
I have this HUGE 16ft wall. I have no idea what to do? The only think i can think of is wainscoting or a collage of some sort? Even a large piece of art seems small on this wall.... :-/

Also be honest, do i have too much color going on? and too much junk on the table? Its stuff from the old house i felt like i needed o use, but sadly i think my taste has changed....
lisamattheis
i just feel bla about everything in this room, and i want it to be WOW
April 22, 2013 at 12:14PM   
Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
We have a large wall like that and we put on kites with fancy tales on them. You could use some blue paint with some white for some clouds as well.
April 22, 2013 at 12:16PM     
Remember, life happens in the first 8 feet of your space. Focus on making that the wow, and let the rest fade out of site. The only worry you have is paying utilities for empty space above the 8 foot level.
April 22, 2013 at 12:19PM     
Danielle Stevens
Ha! I love that you're watching love it or list it when you took these pictures!
April 22, 2013 at 12:21PM     
carolins
It is really difficult to judge colours from photos on a computer screen, but I think that you're suffering from a case of too much grey. Lovely bright chair, nice pieces of art above the console and the rest it grey or greige. I think that a couple of colour injections will cheer you up. And yes, decoenthusiaste is right. Forget the upper part of the walls, concentrate on the actual living space.

Will you be getting curtains or shades/blinds (depending on where you live) for the windows? That could be a chance to add some colour.
And good sized art, but you don't have to fill the entire wall.

Also, I think you could add some pillows in colours from the chair.

I would change one of the table lamps for a floor lamp to get away from everything on one level. Move the other table lamp to another spot in the room.

Pull the furniture a little further apart, doesn't have to be much but it needs to have a bit more space to breathe. Your room is large enough.

Perhaps you can add two square ottomans opposite the sofa.

I'll see if I can find you some inspirational photos. Beautiful space!
April 22, 2013 at 12:32PM     
Brenda
Love the architecture in your room -- the fireplace wall is stunning.

But you are right -- that large empty wall is begging for something. I vote for BIG art. Here are some examples to inspire you

[houzz=Opera Lofts - South Loop]
[houzz=City Townhome]
[houzz=Spencer: Lafayette, LA]
[houzz=The New American Home]
[houzz=Shadow Hill]
[houzz=POGGI DESIGN]
[houzz=Euro Flair]
April 22, 2013 at 12:46PM     
RD Interior ReDesign & Home Staging
Lisa you certainly don't do things by halves do you:-) that wall is incredible! How about three 4'x2' art panels (or bigger) similar to those in the photo that I made and used to stage a recent new build. I actually got the idea from a previous Houzz post. They are fairly easy to make - choose your fabric well to match in with your decor make the frames to the size you need (I asked our local timber merchant to cut the wood to size so all I had to do was fix them together) stretch your fabric over the frames and staple.
April 22, 2013 at 12:46PM     
Aneta Spyra
huge abstraction painting in 3 parts
April 22, 2013 at 12:48PM     
Alina Strandberg
I think you need to change some of the wall colors - feature some of the walls with colour but not everywhere. Personally I find the color too drab everywhere, perhaps lighten or paint off white some of the walls? Can you use one of the colors from the chair as a feature color? I think the wall on the stairwell and/or the wall behind it need to be changed up. I think hanging one large painting behind the sofa will work better then a collage. Also, for me the two horizontal paintings on the stairwell wall don't work. I would hang one square or vertical piece (even a mirror) lower to the table and put a larger and more dramatic object on the table and then add one or two smaller ones. In that space you could also put in a larger (square?) coffee table. The TV also looks too small on the wall above the fireplace (but maybe you have no choice but to leave it as is?) Too many small pieces in a large space only get lost and the room can end up looking cluttered and without focus. Leaving bare or white space around is ok too. I do think that you are on the right track..hope this helps
April 22, 2013 at 12:53PM     
mpoulsom
I agree with a big piece of art as well. But your idea of doing a wainscoting on the bottom half of the wall would be nice as well! Break up some of the wall color a bit.
p.s. when you get a chance, paint that airtake vent above your 2 beautiful pieces of art over console table the same color as your wall. It's distracting from the art... :) (and yes, I know you have better things to do right now, ha!) just a side note. Love your house!
April 22, 2013 at 12:56PM     
Prosodic Environments
Removable vinyl wall decals do give rooms a good 'POP!' http://www.rightonthewalls.com http://www.wallhogs.com http://www.fathead.com/custom/ http://www.thecustomvinylshop.com http://stickerbrand.com ... you can go with die cut or a full mural.
April 22, 2013 at 1:13PM     
1muttly1
Love the colors in your chair! Consider painting your oversized walls with large horizontal stripes to visually shorten them. The stripes don't have to be a bold contrast if you are not brave. And, yes, paint your vent when you have the chance.
April 22, 2013 at 1:20PM     
SPKCreative Abstract Art www.spkcreative.com
Hi Lisa,

Although I'm usually in favor of vividly cheerful abstract art, I think that such a large wall would be enhanced with a beautiful wood, metal and/or glass wall sculpture or a really fabulous mural.

Best,
Shari

spkcreative@gmail.com

Shari P Kantor Abstract Art: http://www.spkcreative.com/
SPKCreative Fabric and Wallpaper Line: http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/spkcreative
SPKCreative Stationery Line: http://www.zazzle.com/spkcreative*
April 22, 2013 at 1:21PM   
One thing that is making that wall look so big and tall, is the white ceiling meeting it. Paint everything the same color, and then as deco advised keep your art under that 8' cut off.

April 22, 2013 at 1:31PM     
lisamattheis
Thank you everyone!
Carolins: You are so right with the idea of moving a lamp. Sometimes i have an issue with making things symmetrical. I am trying to get away from that!

Brenda: great art pics! thank you!!!

Rdhomestaging: Love the idea! I actually did it last year. I bought 3 of the biggest canvas i could find and covered them in my favorite fabric!

Aline: You are sooooo right about Too many small pieces in a large space, I am going to take the 2 pics down and get a large mirror! Home GOods here i come!

Mpoulsom, LOL @ air intake! You are right! I thought about it the day i hung the pics and then forgot.....

Thanks again everyone!!! Its so nice to have all these helpful ideas!!! Now that these things are pointed out, im like.... Why didnt i think of that!?!? or ahhhh ha! i see what you mean !!!!
April 22, 2013 at 1:33PM     
Brenda
something like this could work as well [houzz=
]
April 22, 2013 at 1:34PM     
mpoulsom
One other thing that might look nice is changing the lamp shade color of your lamps flanking the couch....either black or the red color in your chair.....
April 22, 2013 at 1:35PM     
lisamattheis
yea, thats what i was thinking with the collage idea... Its just hard for me to find art i like. and the idea of all those holes makes me nervous..... but its JUST A WALL, and i can always fix it... hahahah
April 22, 2013 at 1:37PM   
carolins
If you have about $ 2,200 spare, you could get this chair. That could cheer you up. Or not...

April 22, 2013 at 1:47PM     
carolins
Okay, so ignore the price, but I thought a zebra print would bring some spice into your living room. Faux Zebra Oliver Ottoman by Oly
Tripode Floor Lamp | YLighting
April 22, 2013 at 1:55PM     
lisamattheis
LOLOL, i am the most picky person ever and i LOVE that chair!!! omg, i am actually thinking about getting rid of the chair i have and moving it to a bedroom. 2,000 sadly i dont think so, hehe. I will have you guys know, i am going to paint that stinking air intake this weekend!! hahaha now i cant stop thinking about it.
April 22, 2013 at 1:57PM     
carolins
Well, at least it cheered you up :-)
April 22, 2013 at 2:00PM   
lisamattheis
yes, i was thinking i defiantly need some window panels and colorful pillows...
April 22, 2013 at 2:02PM     
leelee
You need to forget about the fact that your wall is tall. Treat it like any other wall. You need a lovely picture over your sofa or a grouping but you DO NOT need to go way up high. Try stacking the two bird prints one on top of the other with the bottom of the lower picture 2" above the table. Place your candle holder on a few books to give it more height or place a buffet style lamp on the end of the table. I love the yellow zebra chair from carolins! What a great space you have and it already looks fabulous. Add a couple of plants tall like palms or fig trees toward the sides of the windows. I hope this helps.
April 22, 2013 at 2:07PM     
lisamattheis
you guys are right, i have been in this house SIX months thinking about that tall wall! i have been too worried about filling it to the top!
April 22, 2013 at 2:12PM     
mpoulsom
lol (the vent) don't freak about it mama! these are just stupid things that jump out to me. it's hard when you see something at first and know about it, then you get distracted and forget, or get used to it. It happens to everyone.
April 22, 2013 at 2:14PM     
mpoulsom
I love the paintings that leelee suggested....they are perfect for your space, if you love them.
go to some street festivals this spring/summer where there is art, or go to a university and check out student works...they are usually high quality with a lower price tag...
or check out etsy when you have free time. There is so much good art out there. I am an artist and trust me, most artists will work with you on prices, or even barter for that matter. That wall is not going anywhere....it will be there when you find the perfect pieces! :)
April 22, 2013 at 2:18PM     
lisamattheis
i live right next to Michigan State University! Great idea! This is why i LOVE this site!
April 22, 2013 at 2:24PM     
It's a Beautiful World!
Lisa, you can check out our Houzz page for more color and art inspiration. Our prints come on paper, canvas, metal or acrylic, in virtually any size. Enjoy and best of luck creating your very own art gallery! :) ... Raisa
April 22, 2013 at 3:16PM   
montanadreamer
a beautiful queen size quilt on that wall would look stunning .. something bold and you could pull colors out of the quilt for the rest of the room
April 22, 2013 at 5:34PM     
Angelina Vick
You could go with HUGE art....or with a very large arrangement to fill the the wall.

I think the colors you have are lovely...you just need to liven up the space a bit. A few bold color/fun design lamps would make a big difference.

A few ideas...
April 23, 2013 at 1:05AM     
Susan Mills Design
When I look at all the pictures of your room, I see the fireplace by design is the natural focal point of the room, this is where I would place a piece of art, or something artful, to draw he eye up to its natural peak. As you have the tv there, I would in your case paint the wall behind it, perhaps a dark grey. I would hang a piece of art behind the sofa but not to high. I would suggest something long and low, to keep the room feeling cosier and more welcoming. Taking the eye up on this wall would be to lose the effect you want to create. This picture is to demonstrate my point.
April 23, 2013 at 1:29AM     
Holly Pippet
To keep the area open and inviting you could consider adding a fabulous wallpaper to that wall, rather than say art or a mirror. You add interest, lux and colour without losing that space. I think in terms of color and balance adding flowers keeps it fresh and can be changed with your mood.
April 23, 2013 at 3:00AM     
Holly Pippet
Your living space colours are gorgeous, but you need a bit more interest in there with a metallic cushion and a rug perhaps. Love the space though.
April 23, 2013 at 3:02AM     
leelee
Your picture is dark but in the image that shows your couch and the window there's a table with a lamp...it looks like the table is too far back....bring it up to the arm of the sofa so the lamp is good for reading. Put a palm in that corner to fill in.
April 23, 2013 at 5:06AM     
Ed
Lisa, that's quite a huge wall. :)
April 23, 2013 at 5:48AM   
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
A wall paper that you will never tire of that is classic and clean lined-that adds architecture would be a great idea: http://www.phillipjeffries.com/collections.php?id=CARD-AG-FRAMED http://tracizeller.com/blog/2011/its-friday-im-in-love-rivets/
April 23, 2013 at 5:59AM   
Nancy Hehmann
I think photography on canvas is one great option. You do not have to frame it and it can be colorful and create a wow factor. I would purchase a large one. You can look at the options I have available at my Etsy shop, nancyhehmann You could choose a place you have been or some place you wish to go or it could be a lighthouse, pastoral setting.

Another option is to use a large tapestry. I will post a link to one below. If you like the idea of tapestry, just input that in your browser and many sites pop up.
http://www.homedecorators.com/detail.php?parentid=74988&aid=google.push&skwcid=PTC!pla!!!20304386299!g!!18826755739&gclid=CLCXrtDt4LYCFQHNOgodCW8A5g

I will also post some photography samples. Click on the images and they will enlarge on your screen and show the entire picture.
April 23, 2013 at 6:20AM     
Contempo Space
Having the TV up that high might get tiresome after a while, and the fireplace will be distracting.

One thing you could do is get a free standing wall unit with display space and kill two birds with one stone, filling up the wall and bringing the flat screen down to eye level
April 23, 2013 at 7:51AM     
Anna Blomberg
I've been loving all the gallery walls that I've been seeing in big spaces like that. I'm planning on putting one on the wall by my staircase. It adds interest and color and it's very personal! You could also add a bookcase in the tallest corner, but that's just my taste. I love books! Here is an ideabook with some examples: var hzw_id=3148243;function hzwshow(id,v,delay){var showDiv=document.getElementById('hzexpand'+id);if(v){ position=function(element){ var p={x: element.offsetLeft || 0,y:element.offsetTop || 0};while(element=element.offsetParent){ p.x += element.offsetLeft;p.y += element.offsetTop;} return p;};var ref=document.getElementById('hzfooter'+id);var p=position(ref);var scrollX=(window.pageXOffset||(document.body.scrollLeft-10)||document.documentElement.scrollLeft);var x=Math.min(Math.max(p.x -(300-ref.offsetWidth)/2 ,scrollX),(window.innerWidth || document.body.clientWidth) + scrollX -300);var root=document.body;root.insertBefore(showDiv,root.firstChild);showDiv.style.top=(p.y + ref.offsetHeight + 3) + 'px';showDiv.style.left=x + 'px';} var timeout=window['hzwtimeout'+id];if(timeout) clearInterval(timeout);if(delay && !v){ window['hzwtimeout'+id]=setTimeout('hzwshow('+id+',false,false)',400);} else{ showDiv.style.display=v?'block':'none';} } #hzroot3148243 div {width:100%;}#hzfooter3148243 {line-height:normal;} #hzfooter3148243 a {text-decoration:none;} #hzfooter3148243 a:hover {text-decoration:underline;} #hzexpand3148243 {display:none;width:290px !important;position:absolute;background-color:#222;border:1px solid #888;padding:4px;padding-top:8px;padding-bottom:8px;text-align:left;font-family: arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px;line-height:130%;z-index:100;} #hzexpand3148243 div {color:#eee !important;text-align:left;font-family: arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px;line-height:130%;} #hzexpand3148243 a {color:#ccc !important;text-decoration:none;} #hzexpand3148243 a:hover {text-decoration:underline;} #hzsection3148243 {margin-top:8px;} A Gallery Wall for Every PersonalityHouzz- Kitchens, Bathrooms and More »Home Design and Decorating Ideas- For Example:Home Office Designs · Bedroom Designs · Staircase Designs · Dining Room Designs · Hall Designs · Garage & Shed Designs · Patio Designs ·
April 23, 2013 at 10:54AM     
joanbllt
have you thought of hanging a light weight contemporary rug - My daughter hung a Kandinsky inspired one over her two story fireplace. Rugsdirect has an interesting selection of contemporary rugs.
April 23, 2013 at 10:55AM     
Anna Blomberg
Sorry! I tried to embedd the site, but it obviously didn't work... try this instead:

April 23, 2013 at 10:56AM     
Angelina Vick
I made up a few visual examples...
April 23, 2013 at 12:08PM     
Angelina Vick
You definitely do not want to fill the wall to the top...but you could do so many things in that space.

Make it yours...then it won't be a worry to you.
April 23, 2013 at 1:21PM   
Angelina Vick
You could do a lower arrangement that brings everything eye level...and purposely leave the big space.
April 23, 2013 at 1:31PM     
lisamattheis
THANK YOU Angelia! that is sooo cool to get an idea! I have been on the internet all day trying to find some art i love, I was so stuck thinking i had to fill the wall to the top. But
with all these tips i feel like this is going to be easier than i thought!
April 23, 2013 at 1:42PM     
carolins
I've just found something that immediately made me think of your HUGE wall. http://www.etsy.com/shop/artbyRosemary?ref=seller_info_count
April 23, 2013 at 1:44PM   
Jessica Joy
Lisa, just from the few HGTV shows I've watched, it might also behoove you to accent your large windows with floor to ceiling drapes, not necessarily for use, but just to flank the window to make it look "framed" I suppose you could say. The room is beautiful but I also agree with Alina, I think you need to spice up a wall for an accent, perhaps not necessarily the biggest wall, but maybe making a smaller wall a different color will balance out the large-ness of the wall in question. :)
April 23, 2013 at 2:04PM     
Angelina Vick
carolins- Love that bright and colorful work. The lyrical series looks awesome.

You are SO welcome Lisa. =D

I'm glad all the advice/tips are reducing your tension on it.

Believe me...when you find the right piece...it will hit your heart like falling in love. Nothing else will do. Keep looking until you see a piece you can't live without.

If you describe what kind of art you like, what you imagine on that wall...I'm betting plenty of suggestions will be made. I'm familiar with a lot of living artists work, I'm pretty sure I can offer a few more suggestions myself.
April 23, 2013 at 2:16PM   
oozieway
3 d wall panels would be the best design for that wall!! Now if I could only find a store in Miami that carries them. I want them for my wall in my condo. so modern.
April 23, 2013 at 5:00PM   
shamus_mcfadden
One thing I may recommend. As artwork is very much appealing; my brain help but scream... Storage storage storage. Perhaps shelving combinations for books, accessories and knick-knacks?
April 23, 2013 at 5:02PM     
kalajian
I had the same problem, obsessed about it for years! Here's what I bought for $250 at Ann Arbor's Art Fair...they photographed poorly but are giant red metal flowers. Our interior paint is a creamy, neutral yellow.
April 24, 2013 at 2:56AM     
curlyrockx
Perhaps if you moved the furniture grouping closer to the fireplace and put a really tall armoire or shelving unit against the tall wall. Drapery as well would make it feel cozy
April 24, 2013 at 4:06AM     
Elaine Coombs_Vink
I had the same problem with a huge wall in our cottage that we bought last spring. I found this 4 x 8 piece of plywood with ceiling antique ceiling tile on it and it works fabulously people love it and it was inexpensive and $120. Please excuse the guy on the couch!
April 24, 2013 at 5:04AM     
Jan Hart
You can add some colour to the wall, pull out a couple of colours from the single chair in your room, stripes horizontally on the wall find art to place over/on/or above stripes, or paint a "frame" on the wall larger than your painting, place painting inside
April 24, 2013 at 5:40AM     
agedtechie
Here are two things I did to draw the eye upward to my 18 foot ceilings...from my small (13 x 20) living room area. I definitely think art is the best solution because you can do it at any price level and you can change it without ruining the walls.
April 24, 2013 at 5:46AM     
zugbug
Jealous! I'm in researching my family history and saw a wall that large in a research center in Minnesota. They painted a tree on the wall and hung family pictures on the wall (family tree!). I've seen a variety of the same designs but the nice thing with the family pictures is that you can change them whenever you want. I have a lot of old pictures that would be perfect on the wall.
April 24, 2013 at 5:52AM   
txmeg
I would paint the vertical section above the fireplace white (on all sides) and balance that with a similar wide white vertical stripe behind the couch, with its right side at the point where the slanted ceiling meets the flat section, and center the couch on that stripe.
April 24, 2013 at 5:56AM     
detor
I have a huge wall also. Had the stone put up a few years ago. Its a WOW! I love it.
April 24, 2013 at 6:00AM     
tina4
I have put up a brick wall and painted it. Looks like the real thing. Also put up a gallery wall as suggested. Both get rave reviews. I add to the gallery wall when I go on trips. An inexpensive poster, fun kids drawing. Cheap and eclectic. The only idea i don't love it the stenciled words. I think I would get bored of the same phrase and it would seem too precious. I already regret my bumpersticker! Art is easy to take down and if stone or brick works with your style and the arcitecture of our house, it becomes a lovely backdrop that is tmeless... go for it.
April 24, 2013 at 6:17AM   
When you install anything brick or stone that is extra weight, you just have to make sure the footings/structure can take that extra weight unaccounted for when the builder built that structure.
April 24, 2013 at 6:21AM     
steady_01
Paint the wall a color to attract the eye, then fill it with an eclectic collection of paintings and prints in random placement working from the center.
April 24, 2013 at 6:43AM   
shecaw58
You have a very nice room with nice features - my suggestion would be to put a colorful rug under the sofa/coffee table area -(ie - red) to bring out colors in side chair & art over table.....hang straight sheer curtain from ceiling to floor beside large window.....paint is the least expensive way to change a room so if money is a factor paint large wide horizontal stripes on the 16' wall & if money is not a factor hang huge mirrors - see Ballards for large mirrors that grouped together make an arch look. Hope this helps
April 24, 2013 at 6:44AM     
leelee
When I look at what you've done so far, I see quality and good taste. You don't have to fill up the space just to be filling it. You need to add pieces of art you love that will tie your room together. You live in the bottom 7 feet of your room and that's the area that calls for emphasis. You could buy 2 yellow zebra chairs for what you'd spend trying to fill that huge space or a fabulous painting.
April 24, 2013 at 6:48AM     
melalger
I had a similar dilemma and HATED the corner in my living room; it felt like dead space. I did a gallery are that married the two walls pretty well
April 24, 2013 at 6:54AM     
North Star Stone
An accent wall with stone does create a wonderful focal point. If you can find the same stone to match your fireplace, it would create the drams. Thin stone veneer is designed for applications like a big wall without any additional support needed.

Man made stone veneer weighs an average of about 9 pounds per square feet. The stone needs to be installed with a wire mesh attached to the studs of the house. The weight of the stone is carried by the structurer of the house and the stone is secured with mortar.
April 24, 2013 at 7:03AM     
jlove5892
i would tackle that wall by 1. making a colage or putting a huge family picture in the center, surrounding it with flowers made from white paper bags; that you cut out yourself and glue together. 2. you need a beautiful area rug. the carpet you have is a nice color!!!!!!! but you want to add character to it, and you can do that by adding color. Always remember to do 60% of a color 30% of another and a hence of another by doing 10% and hey there's nothing wrong with making your own canvas paintings. don't be afraid to use that creative side you have. be daring! you'll love it and people will appreciate and envy you for that. there's nothing better than d.i.y. use your mind and see what wild thoughts you have that you can do to turn into your own pieces. you'll feel gooood about it!!!!!!! own it! sincerely best wishes! :)
April 24, 2013 at 7:06AM     
mydixiedoodle
I would either build in a series of shelves or a large book case with either a space in the center for a television or something that will be the focus of the room. Once you do that, then you can rearrange the furniture and de-clutter.
April 24, 2013 at 7:12AM   
North Star Stone
Just wanted to add two more images of a larger wall using stone and creating a different type of focal point. The homeowner has so many great choices. The posts here are all very creative and useful. I appreciated the post where art was actually superimposed onto the wall. Great job and thanks for taking the time.
April 24, 2013 at 7:16AM     
marsia
I like people's suggestions that break out of the rectangular theme. When I first looked at your wall, I thought of a swish of something across it. I like people's suggestions for lots of canvasses hung in a collage manner, wall stickers that make the space look more balanced (because your wall is an unusual shape), you could even hang an ethnic quilt and though it would be rectangular, it would hang more organically than just a rectangular canvas. I also agree with making things big and infusing color, if only throw pillows that tie in your colorful chair for now. Did you paint the wall yourself, or are you thinking of painting it another color? It looks like a big patch of neutral to me, and that kind of wall seems like it needs to be an accent wall or disappear by putting something huge and sculptural on it. As far as composition, either hang stuff in a small band on the lower part of the wall near the living space or do something huge and daring on the whole wall (what comes to mind is cutting out a huge wallpaper tree and pasting it up) in a way that the composition makes the negative space work (look at the whole wall as a blank canvas where the composition has to make the negative space work).
April 24, 2013 at 7:17AM   
Sara Palacios Designs and Custom Furniture
This wall is perfecto to make it into a big library, full of books and photos.
April 24, 2013 at 7:57AM     
suzannah48
Is it a "must" to have the sofa on that wall ? I would use a large, tall, wall unit or china/storage unit there. And it could allow for additional display space on top. Another idea - put up a wide faux "crown molding" around the wall (and the rest of the room) at the 9 or 10 foot height. Then paint the upper and lower areas tones of the same color.
April 24, 2013 at 8:12AM   
gerrycabc
That's a fabulous house, wish it were mine! But I'd change that dull green color on the walls, if the computer is showing it correctly. I find it depressing. Aside from that, I am wondering if the fireplace facing could be repeated onto the high wall? There are some wonderful wallpapers that look soooo real. So many of the suggestions given are so thoughtful and excellent, I bet you are having trouble choosing what to do! Good luck.
April 24, 2013 at 8:21AM   
You have very high ceilings. Work with that. You need height, as well as bigger furn. Move all furn 18" away from window. Pics over table stack on top of each . Get very tall chunky lamps for end table. End tables to small get boxy chest type in a color try red. Just. Do one like that. Don't match things. Put panels in white on each side of window. A large 6-7 ft silk palm in corner by sofa window. Put huge oil painting doesn't need frame. Over sofa. Go contemporary with bright colors . 6 x7 ft would work hang 7" above back of sofa. Huge rooms needs furn to scale. Silk plants god way to fill in space. Also get much bigger coffee table 40 x 40 square. With tall candlesticks, books a plant.
April 24, 2013 at 8:25AM     
Add some very tall candlesticks in silver,on mantel. It looks bear don't over do. Love fireplace stone.
April 24, 2013 at 8:28AM     
I love your wall color don't change .
April 24, 2013 at 8:29AM     
Do you have Z Galleries? If so a great store for art furn etc. Im a designer shop there all the time. You can go on line also.
April 24, 2013 at 8:34AM     
margaretehunter
Maybe you should re-arrange the furniture, looks like you have the TV and fireplace as the focus. What's the view out the window? I think perhaps a bookcase with the TV, books and object d'art ont aht wall would cosy up the huge room.
April 24, 2013 at 8:41AM   
jumpinjamjam
I have a fairly large wall also that happens to coincide where our TV is. I was thinking about adding a mix of art and personal photos to help disguise the large tv. Maybe this idea could work for your large wall and bring it down to eye level but still make it homey.
April 24, 2013 at 9:01AM     
laginagirl
Hi- my living room is similar in set up to your's and I also was stumped as to how to fill all that space. Depending on your tastes and style, you might want to do something similar to my solution. I'm attaching a before (how we purchased the home) and after.
I asked my husband to put in the chair rail and trim in order to break up the room and help define. Then, I placed the vintage clocks within the invisible living space, with just a little bit of the larger clock poking up into the upper 'dead' air.
Best wishes!
April 24, 2013 at 9:06AM     
stylishdigs
Hi Lisa, Great room! I love the print on your chair. Take those colours and hang that on the wall....above sofa as a large print. Take the same colour combo, love the purple and get some toss cushions for the sofa. You are half way there....good luck,
April 24, 2013 at 9:18AM     
molandmail
Thank about a galery of art
April 24, 2013 at 9:18AM     
Rebecca Marsolf
Big art can be expensive. Have you thought about doing it yourself and using the wall as canvas? Color!
April 24, 2013 at 9:21AM     
JM Homes
Have you ever thought about painting on a pattern? You could paint the wall in a High Gloss finish of one color. and then tape on your design (example Chevron) and paint over with a matte paint in the same color.
April 24, 2013 at 9:21AM     
JM Homes
less expensive option instead of art and gives just as much character with added personality
April 24, 2013 at 9:22AM   
clynch10
I really like Brenda and Carolyn's suggestions! Some big art and some contrast would be great.
April 24, 2013 at 9:24AM   
stylishdigs
check out Craigsllist or your local Habitat for Humanity for ideas. You don't have to spend alot of money. Reuse is big now. Look for large art at these spots and you can stretch some funky material over the frame, or spray paint what you find at a second hand store. Who is gonna know?
April 24, 2013 at 9:29AM   
Rebecca Marsolf
I like the use of wall paper and fussy cutting it for a piece of art. Also quits are beautiful and big.
April 24, 2013 at 9:29AM   
lmetzler
The problem is that everything is horizontal. You need to add some vertical punch. I think white built-in bookcases would give you that vertical appeal and warm up the space. You can add color with what you display on the shelves whether it be books, art, family treasures, etc. You have a great canvas to work with. Have fun.
April 24, 2013 at 9:55AM   
Roc+Solid Land Design
Sorry, but I laughed when you asked if there was too much color. My first impression was it is very monotone. The very monotone nature means you're going to be more focused on the space themselves. Hence, the wall looks too big and the furniture too small. One idea is to pull the eye down...to the floor. If you could get rid of the carpet and add a pine colored wood /laminate floor with throw rugs...then that would pull the eye downwards. Also, the sofa looks so tiny. Perhaps recover with a more exciting, very bold fabric. But a larger sofa would be the best. And taller lamps!! The suggestions for larger artwork on the wall are great. That's what I did for my somewhat large wall (I hung an oil painting I painted that's about 3'x4' but you would need something larger). Then I added some old Mexican masks to fill the leftover spaces.
April 24, 2013 at 10:02AM   
zzzmarina
this bookshelf will look great
April 24, 2013 at 10:06AM   
Roc+Solid Land Design
Tall plant idea is also great. Then just one large painting above the sofa. But if you do a plant, get rid of the carpet for sure. I just do not like the look of plants/pots on carpet.
April 24, 2013 at 10:07AM   
zzzmarina
so beautiful to use this art work on top of the fireplace
April 24, 2013 at 10:29AM   
krysciak
Place an oversized plant like a Ficus tree or Kentia palm next to the couch. With bottom lighting it would cast a great shadow pattern over most of the wall. I think a Kentia palm would work well as it requires little light and is slow growing.
April 24, 2013 at 10:54AM     
aginginplace
If your budget allows it, you can create custom bookshelves on that wall, including one of those attached rolling ladders. Obviously, you would pull the sofa further away from the wall to accomodate accessibility, but you would have interest going on, on that large wall, not only with books but photos, and any other personal things you would like to add. You can make it as streamlined as you want, or as detailed as you want.
April 24, 2013 at 11:00AM   
littlemissk
What a lovely, open space! Here are a few suggestions: 1) Art on that large wall ... mix it up with pieces of different sizes and expand it so that it goes from one end table to the other and UP. Can be expensive, inexpensive, flea market, frames you found and liked, whatever floats your boat. I'm not a photographer but here's a photo of my wall in my sunken living room (looks better in person ;o)). I've got all these types on it. The wall on the left hand side goes up about 25 feet and then slopes to about 12 feet by a large bank of windows that has art in between the windows and is painted the same color as the lamps (a little deeper). My lamps on those tables are 36" high and, as you can see, I've a totally different lamp in between the two arm chairs (same palette tho). I've run the cord for that lamp down under the area rug and under the couch to an outlet. You can't see the cord for it from the entryway into the room. 2) Your credenza by the stairwell ... stack the two canvases above one another on the vent side and get an interesting lamp for the other side for a third point of light (if you don't have a wall outlet check with an electrician to see if one can be pulled through, should be easy if there is something available in the wall. If there is anything located under your stairwell they should be able to do it for about $100 or less. 3) You've allot of neutrals going with the wall color, the carpeting and some of your furniture. The room needs to be anchored and it's probably impractical to change-out your carpeting. Look around for an interesting, textured area rug you can put in front of the couch that has one of the basic colors of your floral chair (a darker color ... is that eggplant?). 4) Explode your furniture a bit more into the room and make it less tight around the edges. Have fun!!!
April 24, 2013 at 11:17AM     
syoun007
Is the paint matte or eggshell? Find a stencil that you like and stencil the wall in a high gloss of the same color it is currently painted.
April 24, 2013 at 11:21AM     
theo8
I had the same problem - I finally found the solution in the form of wooden boxes from Target. I was able to showcase smaller pieces that would have gotten lost on shelves. I like your furniture, but understand how it would be nice to bring the eyes upward. Good luck!
April 24, 2013 at 11:23AM     
littlemissk
See my suggestions above and the note about how I painted the wall where I've windows. Here's a quick photo. It helps make the room look less gigantic and more intimate. Ignore the intensity of the color (I happen to love color), but notice how it ties with other color around the room and how the area rug anchors the room. This room is 400/sf and, as mentioned, the ceilings go from 25 feet down to 12. It's sunken and has a larger dining room that overlooks this room, but it all looks intimate.
April 24, 2013 at 12:09PM     
triciarobinson
I have read several of the comments and I vote for a large wall sculpture or painting. Art work limits your colour choices. Put a lot of money into a painting and then you're stuck with the colours for life so choose carefully. 30 years ago, I bought a large original painting of 3 horses because it spoke to me. Luckily, I love, love, love the colours in it to this day (black/rust/white/grey/pale orange, very neutral). I have changed my colour scheme and furniture many times but now in retirement I will stick with a cream sofa and loveseat with the colour in the carpet and pillows.
April 24, 2013 at 12:13PM   
Angelina Vick
Hi Lisa, I don't know if you have decided what you are doing yet. But I came across this idea...and I thought...Hmm, that is cute and little funky. It would be cool in an ecclectic space, like yours.

So I am going to throw it in the hat for ideas for your wall.

The idea...is to buy multiple medallions...which are usually used on ceilings, and attach them to your wall instead. There are a lot ways to go with color, you could paint them the same as the wall. You could paint them different colors in your room and really draw attention to them. And...as few or as many as you want...in a random pattern. Making the pattern itself would be interesting.

Great design fun...;)
April 24, 2013 at 1:00PM     
Textbook Painting
Lisa,

I love the wall color and the color of that bright chair! I would suggest a bright accent wall. Maybe by the windows? Needs to be a smaller wall. I like the idea of a large piece of art split on three canvasses (bright colors). That fireplace is beautiful and I think the paint color looks great with it! -Michael
April 24, 2013 at 1:20PM   
chrisroh
You have the room and the height for a ficus tree which would give the room some color and life. You actually have 2 huge walls, the living room and the stairs. Groupings of pictures on both walls would add color. You could go dramatic with all black frames or put the pictures on canvas (http://www.easycanvasprints.com/). Another idea is to paint a tree with branches and attach pictures to the different branches. (http://www.creativeartista.com/2011/07/project-painting-swirly-tree-on-wall.html) . It could cover a good portion of the wall.
April 24, 2013 at 2:04PM   
beesknees2260
Large art plus a tall floor lamp
April 24, 2013 at 2:09PM     
anifig
I like the idea of a gallery wall the best because you can have a modern eclectic mix of photgraphy, art, etc... and can bring in color through the artwork or frames. Also the variety of different sized pieces adds personality. Aim for a cohesive look. I would search gallery walls in Houzz to get a good idea of proportion and mix.
My favorite post example is 'apartament'. I would also consider putting a table beind the sofa or against the wall so it doesn't appear to be such an alley from the front door moving through the living room. Also,I ditto the idea of moving your accent chair away from your grouping, maybe at an angle to give the space a more relaxed welcoming feel. Lots of good ideas. Trust your gut.
April 24, 2013 at 2:22PM     
hmccord1224
My thought is a large textile of some sort. I had a large wall that led to a cathedral ceiling and found a magazine rack that looked like a ladder, put three of them in a row hanging from a curtain rod and used them to display old linens my great grandmother had made. It was a good way to add color and soften the space at the same time.
April 24, 2013 at 2:29PM     
burgandywine
I'd put up a large wooden molding across the long wall - like a chair rail. Paint it white or tan, then divide the wall space by painting the wall above the chair rail one color, like soft tan or grey, and then the part beneath the chair rail black. Then put up a huge, colorful, modern art piece on the wall! It's a very dramatic space. I'd put up some spots or track-lighting to focus down on the artwork.
April 24, 2013 at 2:35PM   
gemmax
I think bring the eye down with some really dramatic artwork above the sofa and breaking up the space with a dramatic divider. You should be able to find a DIY divider that you like on line. The artwork could be anything from a great painting to beautiful bright posters that really draw the eye. The big wall will disappear to the eye with drama right in front of everyone. I love your colors, particularly the chair. You may want to add more of the colors from the chair for artwork, throws, pillows, etc. I often just bring in fabric items from other rooms and see how they look. ( I've even wrapped a dress around a pillow to see how the color worked!) Have fun.
April 24, 2013 at 2:43PM   
Tyle Beez
Oooooo .... I love the pop of colors in the chair ...I would do some Don Li Leger type color blocking on the whole wall - find one of his works to model from ... then place shelving and artworks in designated blocks and, of course one or two of his pieces ... I just WISH I had this problem ...

Don Li Leger artwork >>> https://www.google.com/search?q=modern+artist&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=81B4UYL5BIT-iQKr24C4Bg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=603#safe=active&tbm=isch&q=li+leger&spell=1&sa=X&ei=N1F4Ua37EeqdiAKp1YGwCg&ved=0CFAQBSgA&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.cGE&fp=36c0cf77916f86ea&biw=1280&bih=603
April 24, 2013 at 2:43PM     
mcmai
i would hang my grandmother's crazy quilt. (you can't have mine :), but here's an example from ebay)
April 24, 2013 at 2:45PM     
mcmai
i'm also a sucker for hand woven tribal Persian rugs. ~4 foot wide, often ~8 feet or longer long ones are a really good price, about $200 on ebay (people don't generally have rooms those aspect ratios). you could hang 2 of them side by side. a couple examples below.
April 24, 2013 at 2:53PM   
Angelina Vick
You have a lot of suggestions now.

What are you thinking of going with Lisa?
April 24, 2013 at 3:41PM   
Linda Paul
Hi there - That wall is just perfect for a painted silouette, then some large artworks that coordinate. have a look at how I painted this wall with large seabirds that are in my paintings
April 24, 2013 at 4:07PM     
lpok
Put a big picture over the couch then put shelves on the left
April 24, 2013 at 5:03PM   
gracemateja
I'm a graphic designer but the principles of layout and composition I've learned apply to interiors as well. To 'compose' a space (a room) think about how things line up. A large area rug that outlines the living space would help to give the room a foundation and something to line up wall art with on that large wall. You could 'contain' the living space by keeping the wall art at eye level and you could also 'line up' the top of the wall art with a 'line' of the windows so visually everything in the living space pulls together. Try not to create 'tension points', for instance the 2 pictures above the side table: notice how close the top right corner of the art on the right is to the staircase trim. That creates a tension point. You could lower those 2 pieces a bit. Definitely pick up those colors in that chair elsewhere in the living space to help pull it together. It's a very dramatic, interesting space. Enjoy it!
April 24, 2013 at 6:46PM     
gracemateja
You could try checking out gallerydirect.com, or similar sites that offer large wall art. You can choose art from the site or even upload your own image and give them the dimensions.
April 24, 2013 at 7:12PM   
gracemateja
Also, you might want to consider painting the wall above the mantel a muted color from the stone of the fireplace so that the tv doesn't look like it's floating.
April 24, 2013 at 7:23PM     
The Living Door
I suggest putting a large ceramic pot in the corner behind the lamp with tall sticks to help bring some height and that will also help with that wall and make it look a little smaller. Then I suggest putting a series of 3 canvas pictures that are tall and rectangle.
April 24, 2013 at 7:27PM     
Alexei Rebrov Art
I work with prints on aluminum 40x90" large. We can work together on design specific for your room with colors you like. Please check out this collection http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/wall-design
April 24, 2013 at 8:23PM     
ccampbell
Consider 3-D tile mural by Natalie Blake. http://www.unaluntile.com/
April 24, 2013 at 8:46PM   
Cathy Mortensen
Hi, I just wrote a post on HomeGoods Design Happy blog about decorating rooms with tall walls. Maybe it will help you out. ... http://www.homegoods.com/blog/2013/04/23/8-ways-to-decorate-tall-rooms/
April 24, 2013 at 9:09PM     
skaiser1951
I would refer you back to jumpingjamjam and molandmail - sort of. My thought was to think gallery of art, only as high u[ as you want to go (per other suggestions) but create it by buying, or better yet making, various size "picture frames" out of whatever trim boards inspire you, in whatever sizes and shapes compose nicely together, and place art or photos in SOME of the frames - NOT ALL - and leave some "empty". This will prevent such a big wall from being too "heavy", but still lend interest, personalize it, and leave it flexible enough to change out some of the squares/rectangles (frames) as seasons evolve, your tastes change or accent colors come and go. Theoretically you could fill some with wallpaper swatches or even just related colors. I am in the process of planning and creating something along these lines so I don't have a picture to show you, but hopefully you can envision the basics of what I am trying to describe. Good luck with whatever you decide!
April 24, 2013 at 10:34PM   
carolins
@Cathy Mortensen, nice article on the HomeGoods blog :-)
April 25, 2013 at 12:54AM     
janiceballa
So many great suggestions already. I had a similar situation, and did what many people have already suggested. I placed a long, horizontal piece above and behing the sofa to emphasize the width of the room and just forgot about the upper part of the wall. Visually it helped anchor the living space to the floor and wasn't too overwhelming. "The piece" was a long wool floor runner from Tibet that had great colors and a wonderful design. Kind of like what Mcmai suggested. I tool it to a rug cleaning and repair business and they sewed a canvas "sleeve" to the back of the rug lengthwise, and I hung it on heavy wooden curtain rod and brackets. With such a large space, we found the wool fabric really helped soften the acoustics. And for the size involved, it wound up being surprisingly affordable. You have a beautiful space, just the same.
April 25, 2013 at 12:47PM     
S Adams
Big artwork! Also get the sofa away from the wall. Float it out on the floor...and get nice artwork. My friend Maia Leisz painted me a great painting that's above my couch. I love it! Check out local craft shows for great deals on original artwork. Most artists do custom work.
April 25, 2013 at 12:53PM     
Serenity Health & Home Decor
Some kind of huge structure or piece of art would definitely look nice. Pictured here is a large wall hanging water fountain. I think something like this would really liven up the room.
April 25, 2013 at 3:03PM   
Susan Dobbins
Had the same problem in condo townhome. Wall was all white and neede repainting. Painted up 8 feet (cathedral ceilings) with flat white paint. After it dried measured and divided space to create 11 inche horizonal stripes - taped and painted with the same white color only in a glossy white. Very eleant look and subtle. You could measure and tape horizontal stripes and going up 8 feet and paint every other one a high gloss paint of the same color as the current wall. Extremely reasonable in cost - just takes time to tape and paint.
April 25, 2013 at 4:44PM     
chrisroh
You could start with wainscoting, but paint it all the same color as the trim. It would reduce the wall space.
April 25, 2013 at 5:14PM     
getter
A huge mural could solve the problem. The choices are abundant online!
April 25, 2013 at 5:33PM     
joyful_lady
Well, this picture is not really ready for public display but I could not decide between a bunch of pictures from an artist whose work I adore so I bought 22 of them and created a gallery on the wall. I love it but I love the art. I do receive a lot of positive feedback from visitors. What do you love? What excites you? Use that to guide you. Instead of looking at the wall as a problem to be solved look at it as an opportunity to express yourself.
April 25, 2013 at 5:55PM     
RuthSings
How about an art quilt? They come in all sizes (any size you want if it's custom), shapes (rectangles are just the start), styles (traditional to modern to sci-fi futuristic) and compositions (cotton fabric to paper to found objects, stones and metal).
April 25, 2013 at 6:54PM     
sarah_1015
I think maybe if you had some kind of really substantial looking cabinet or bookcase or something that would anchor the rest of the pieces in the room, it would help, instead of trying to fill it with lots of wall stuff.
April 25, 2013 at 7:17PM     
leelee
Your furniture and decorating looks like a normal room. I see many suggestions that would probably take you way out of your comfort zone...maybe you're ready to go there or maybe you just want to do something like what you'd do if the ceiling was just a normal height. Are you ready for iridescent neon or just a nice painting? It's good to think out of the box but are you going to add something so far out that it makes the rest of your room look wrong?
April 25, 2013 at 8:11PM   
JWinteriors
A few visual ideas for wall
April 25, 2013 at 8:22PM   
bonnieth
I like your colors. Just a pic over the sofa would be good.
April 25, 2013 at 8:29PM   
stargoodhand
Would put stone on the wall as a feature wall
April 25, 2013 at 8:44PM   
Joan McLemore
This style is very mod, but really interesting.

The way the abstract envelopes the space creates an intimacy.

The method might be adapted to a more traditional setting with neutrals (thinking slate and rocks maybe).
April 26, 2013 at 12:17PM     
Beth Bourque
You don't have too much color. You're fine in that area. You problem is exactly as you've stated: too much wall. I agree that artwork over the sofa is what is needed. Even a couple of staggered shelves would work. Maybe a huge clockface? An arrangement of treasured photos?
April 26, 2013 at 11:43PM   
Jeannie Nguyen
I totally have this same issue right now. I suggest you try and find a color scheme you want to stick with and find art/wall decor that match your theme.
April 26, 2013 at 11:54PM     
nina47
Your room is quite a generous size and the high ceiling makes it appear even bigger. I'd put the furniture further apart or even think about buying a longer sofa, larger coffee table and bigger lamps for the side tables and the console. The proportions of the room don't work properly if there are too many small items cramped together in quite a large space. One large picture on the wall behind the sofa would look good.
April 27, 2013 at 6:36AM     
Molly Johnson
We found a beautiful rug that had the colors we liked, had a frame built, painted white to match our trim and let about 6" border to act as a mat between the frame and the rug and it is beautiful on the wall. Fills the space and everyone comments on it...
April 27, 2013 at 6:24PM     
Art Gems
We sell art prints and I'm suggesting instead, a large tapestry/rug/quilt hanging over the couch and something I have not seen anyone mention here --unless I missed it-- a rolling ladder access library. Such libraries have lower cabinets at floor level with shelves to the ceiling often with a walk balcony. My brother-in-law has this with a very high ceiling and it is very impressive. If you like this idea let me know and I will take a photo of his and upload here. "The library" also provides a place for your favorite collectibles which you can mix with the books and the top of the lower cabinets can provide office/media space if desired. The cabinets themselves provide hidden storage of all sorts. Again let me know if you wish to see a photo
Janet
April 28, 2013 at 1:50PM     
Art Gems
Hi Lisa, Do you want me to upload a photo or did you find examples of this on Houzz?
April 29, 2013 at 5:22AM   
Joan McLemore
That is a good idea.........a photo would be good for others too with similar difficult areas.
April 29, 2013 at 5:24AM     
Wow Effects-Murals and Fine Art
A unique sized wall is perfect for a unique mural. It would become the focal point to your room and home. If you want to add WOW, then add a professionally painted mural. NO MURAL STICKERS OR DECALS... they look tacky! Good Luck with the project.
April 30, 2013 at 2:50PM     
lisamattheis
HELLO friends!!! Thank you again for all the wonderful comments!!! I went ahead and purchased the mirror in the first and second picture! It is 5ft x 7.5ft! I am soooooo excited! I plan to hang pics on the side, like the third picture i have posted. I plan to frame vintage sheet music. I am still looking, but plan to get a rug, some pillows and curtains. I took the bird pictures down so looking for something new there.... Whoooohooo!!!!!!
April 30, 2013 at 6:18PM     
Robin Beiermeister
I would change coffee table to a large round glass topped table to lighten up all the angles in the room. You sure got a lot of advice! The mirror looks really cool and architectural, should be a great choice. I like the antique sheet music idea, too. If that doesn't work out, some oversized sconces on either side of the mirror would do (same effect as the floor lamps in the picture above).
April 30, 2013 at 6:52PM     
carolins
Gorgeous mirror!
April 30, 2013 at 11:53PM     
Inna Brodkin
this room is stunning and I love the huge wall. This wall needs not one but a few pieces of art , gallery style. I would not put any bookshelves on this wall, they would cut the visual space horizontally and the big wall effect would be lost completely. I would not add any black to this room as it has enough grays going on already.
I would put a few large pantings or photographs on the big wall, hang simple off white or very pale yellow curtains floor to ceiling to ground the windows, and get new lamp shade and a few pillows in mustard yellow. The room should come to life.
May 1, 2013 at 12:27AM     
Bixa Orellana
There are some super ideas here, although admittedly I haven't read through all of them.

The one comment I'd like to make is that I think you'd see the space differently if you didn't have your furniture so squared off. Why not try pulling everything off to the side, then experiment with placing the sofa on an angle in different parts of the room? If you find a spot that seems promising, you can start placing the other larger pieces in relationship to the sofa.
I have to admit right here that I'm always opposed to having the tv in the living room, but realize I'm in the minority, plus sometimes there is no other option. Anyway, if you can keep from making it the focal point of the room, you'll open up a bunch of furniture placement options. I think the very square furniture placement is putting emphasis on the wall as a big blank space, whereas different placement would make you see it as a dramatic feature you're lucky to have. Rearranging your (very nice!) furniture will also make you think of different ways to use lamps, pillows, etc., perhaps even pulling things from other parts of the house that you'd not seen as living room items previously.
Good luck!
May 2, 2013 at 8:54PM     
anniebird
Whew - I didn't read all the comments, so perhaps this suggestion is redundant....how about a large scale wallpaper covering that wall? I also thought about a wallpaper mural, though it might be hard to make that work in such a large and irregular space. Post pictures of your "after" - it will be fun to see how you meet this challenge:)
May 2, 2013 at 9:34PM     
How about wood modern paneling. Love this stuff and saw on I want this the other night. I think it's gorgeous.
http://www.stikwood.com/collections/stikwood
May 3, 2013 at 9:03AM     
Art Gems
I will upload a photo over the weekend of the rolling ladder, balcony library wall--just hang in there!
May 3, 2013 at 2:50PM     
mugsy1703
How about something like this?
May 5, 2013 at 7:38PM     
Holly Pippet
I love the idea of wallpaper, or something like the above pics. Something with impact while maintaining that open feel. I like an area that is a little open. It feels more expensive.
May 5, 2013 at 7:47PM     
Art Gems
Sorry my DSL was done over the weekend but here are now the photos. I think your library would be more dramatic due to your larger room and wall. I hope now you find the giant wall an asset rather than a design liability. I will attach photos to this and following comment as 4 is the limit.
May 6, 2013 at 5:59AM     
Art Gems
Here come the other two. Let me know what you think!
May 6, 2013 at 6:01AM     
Art Gems
Hope my first sentence in first upload made some sense, a hornet was in the room!
May 6, 2013 at 6:03AM     
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
May 15, 2013 at 1:52AM   
Studio Arterie
we love huge walls :) please, have a quick look at our site, we have artistic murals exactly for this purpose, custom printed to measure for your walls..
May 21, 2013 at 8:04AM     
Angelina Vick
Lisa..could you show pics of what you chose to go with?
May 21, 2013 at 11:25AM     
donnal
I would put stacked stone there with a huge mirror to reflect the light. Simple and easy!!!
May 21, 2013 at 11:31AM     
kmeeker
I would swap the placement of the chair and the love seat. I don't love the combination of the two paintings and the chair fabric. Beautiful home!
May 21, 2013 at 11:48AM     
yellowkorner
As an option,if you are still looking for idea's on large Art to make a statement on the wall, have a look at this 40 by 70 inches black & white as an option away from color too-
May 21, 2013 at 2:32PM     
Donna Petraglia
My daughter has 15' ceilings (and, of course, walls) in her master bedroom. They got a very grand ceiling fan to fill in the space and it looks great. The have this one with an extension rod. Of course, it fits their decor though.
May 21, 2013 at 3:27PM     
hnks
Liza, I love the idea of the mirror and arrangements on both sides. I have a very similar dilemma and I like your idea a lot. I will start exploring it. Can you please tell me where did you get that mirror from. Thanks and have fun!
May 21, 2013 at 8:30PM     
Peter Hoyt
I think this is much to large of a space to put photographs, unless it's a big collage and the photos themselves are large and printed on canvases. Otherwise, I would suggest using this as a place to showcase some really great art.
May 21, 2013 at 9:04PM     
Adrianne
add demension with book cases..
Make sure furniture is gathered together in the center and not against the walls.

Check out the height and width on this one from Restoration Hardware: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2481151&categoryId=cat1970012

Do a thick crown mold all around the room at 9' or 10 ' but not above the stairs.
On the wall above the stairs do a collection of framed pictures.

Don't do crown mold on the wall with the window. However on the wall with the window add curtains. Hang the rod as high as you can go can and make sure when they are fully open they can be pushed out wide enough to show the frame.

Match the handrail to the bookcases!!

Definite WOW factor!
May 21, 2013 at 9:48PM     
Kristen Heimstra
Something like this might look nice!

May 21, 2013 at 10:08PM   
范祥龙
so , look nice……I like it!
May 21, 2013 at 10:11PM   
lisamattheis
Hnks: I bought the mirror from restoration hardware. It is beautiful. Now I am trying to decide what I will put around it. I was thinking framed vintage sheet music, or perhaps large framed art work in a collage. My husband think we should do a collage of mirrors! BTW houzzers, I took all of your ideas in to consideration. So many great ideas. I moved my furniture around as suggested. I will have to upload a new pic!
May 22, 2013 at 4:46AM   
lisamattheis
P.s
still going to replace bird pics
Looking for floor lamp(s)
Collage idea around mirror
Possibly replacing flower chair
Window treatments

LOL that's a lot. But we just built the house and have been in only 7 months. I am working with old things. Slowly replacing and adding! Thanks again everyone!!!!!
May 22, 2013 at 5:05AM     
carolins
Gorgeous mirror!
May 22, 2013 at 5:46AM     
lisamattheis
Angelina Vick! I am doing the ceiling medallion idea in my bedroom!!! LOVE the idea!!! thank you!!!!!
May 22, 2013 at 6:10AM     
Mary N
Lisa, I love the accent chair. I've been searching for something like that. Where did you get it?
May 22, 2013 at 7:19AM   
lisamattheis
Maria, I actually found it at HomeGoods!
May 22, 2013 at 7:23AM   
Angelina Vick
You are very welcome. =D I am glad I came across that idea to be able to show it to you.

Thanks for the updated photos. I think your furniture arrangement is working much better now. That mirror is impressive, it's so big it looks like a portal doorway to another universe.

Depending on how wild you want to go...you could do what both of you want. Art and mirrors. It could work. I have seen eclectic mixes like that work. Building it up slowly like a flower arrangement...placing each piece right where it fits.
May 22, 2013 at 9:22AM     
Mary N
Love the mirror. Awesome!
May 23, 2013 at 9:39PM   
Huge fireplace rock wall, and no real "walls." what to do?
I don't really have an eye for interior design and...
Huge Space- Den- Leftover Furniture- Bare Walls & Floors- HELP!
About a year ago I made the move to live with my better...
What to do with this HUGE boring wall?
In our kitchen is this huge wall. Don't mind the different...
What am I going to do with this huge wall??
No fireplace, no cabinets. We are on a budget!
kitchen counters and backsplash all wrong
I rushed and chose the first granite slab I saw, thinking...
Living Area
I am trying to arrange my living area and am getting...
Front door color suggestions please!
I am considering painting the side lights and trim...
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Need help designing my small living room
This is my first home and I want to make the small...