Need help with living room
bumpkus
This room has never felt right to me. Should I take the TV cabinet out and figure out some place else for TV? Too monochromatic - gold furniture, gold rug, gold paint on walls?
Would love some feedback please!
boolundwall
You need more color...large house plants would look great.
April 22, 2013 at 6:02PM     
Connie
I am not an interior designer, but in mho, I feel like your various pieces "clash". tv unit and rug are too modern, to suit the couch, table and lamp, which are very traditional. personally, I would swap rug for something darker and traditional, like a red/gold Persian rug, and also change/paint the tv cupboard. I think a dark wood would (wood wood!!) look better. nice bones though. and possibly rearrange the furniture-it appears like a very "open room", with lots of doors/pathways? which can be bad feng shui, and make you feel unsettled. I would put the couch (or a screen/something) across the side where the front door is (where you currently have the chair, and try to enclose the area more.
April 22, 2013 at 6:05PM     
jdmaher
Th eTV unit is not too big, but it is very conspicuous because it its a very stark white and far more contemporary than the rest of your pieces.
April 22, 2013 at 6:10PM     
bumpkus
Here's a pic I forgot to add - the TV unit is next to white fireplace. Also feels out of balance on that wall. Do you ever wish you could just start totally over?!
April 22, 2013 at 6:17PM     
Tania D
Not a designer, but I think the tv unit's white is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too stark. Maybe pull a colour from a cushion to paint the unit? Also, the painting over the couch seems a bit too low. OK...and now looking at the pic again, it's definitely your wall unit. Change the colour and it won't be the "white elephant" in the room! :) good luck!!
April 22, 2013 at 6:18PM     
Connie
and there is the problem! the tv is a focal point, competing with the fireplace, which is also a focal point. very unsettling. get a smaller, darker tv unit, place on opposite wall to fireplace. couch and chairs facing each other, creating a square, with coffee table centred.
April 22, 2013 at 6:28PM     
KShoa
Yes, the problem is the white tv unit. The rest can be easily dealt with using colorful accessories.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa
April 22, 2013 at 9:20PM   
Tania D
Hmmm...the tv and fireplace all together really weighs that side of the room. I think if you could leave the fireplace white but paint out the tv cabinet, it would help make the fireplace pop, while allowing the overwhelming tv unit to receed a bit. You have a beautiful home and love your decorating style!
April 23, 2013 at 5:48AM   
Tania D
Also, what are all the black fronts on the tv cabinet? Mesh for speakers? Paint?
April 23, 2013 at 5:48AM   
handymam
I think changing your area rug to a color would change things up easily too.

Is the tv cabinet built in? It is really too large for the space. Just to hold a tv? That is overpowering the fact that you even have a fireplace!
April 23, 2013 at 5:58AM     
bumpkus
Tania, yes they are mesh fronts on the cabinet. Lots of stereo stuff inside & it was very warm.
April 23, 2013 at 11:38AM   
bumpkus
Thanks to all of you for your comments . Very very helpful!
April 23, 2013 at 11:39AM   
Tania D
They do make the mesh in other colours. May want to consider swapping it out....although black might look good with whatever colour the unit might be painted! Good l uck. Keep us posted with what you plan to do!
April 23, 2013 at 11:52AM   
You can find different coloured mesh on Amazon - just search under loudspeaker mesh or fabric. I have them even in pale grey
April 23, 2013 at 11:56AM   
Tania D
Any progress or decisions?
April 29, 2013 at 4:53PM   
Jayme H.
I think blue would be a good accent with your things...
April 29, 2013 at 5:21PM     
bumpkus
Tania, I've got a master carpenter coming over this week or next - his schedule - to see what we can do with my elephant!!! Move to other wall, maybe see if we can downsize it and build something on other side of fireplace to balance it or other options he might have. Thanks for all your great feedback.
April 29, 2013 at 5:37PM     
jg011011
How about adding another cabinet to the right of the fireplace and then either antiquing them both or painting them

April 29, 2013 at 6:07PM     
Tania D
bumpkus: I really think painting it would suffice! Keep us posted!
April 29, 2013 at 7:26PM   
Tania D
And I agree with jg....what about adding a built in on the right to balance them out. And definitely switch out the mesh! :) Good luck!
April 29, 2013 at 7:27PM   
bumpkus
I think the window on this side is going to keep me from putting another cabinet on this side
April 29, 2013 at 7:38PM   
jg011011
I think as long as you don't go tight up to the window it would work, the picture I posted also has a window beside the units and it looks fine. I think the balance is more if a problem than the colour...
April 29, 2013 at 8:57PM   
bumpkus
It does work with a window beside it. And it is not exactly the same as the unit on the other side but still looks good. Thanks! This may work!
April 29, 2013 at 9:13PM   
Nest.
All that room needs is a zebra rug!!!! That would tie in the white from the tv cabinet . In decorating, zebra and leopard are considered "neutrals"!! Send a picture of the finished project. Good luck!!
April 29, 2013 at 9:19PM   
Ed
I feel the only thing that room needs more of is space. Not more color, not more rug. Rather, Less clutter, more space, more open feeling --

April 29, 2013 at 9:45PM   
smdrovetto
I agree that the room is lopsided with the large cabinet and the fireplace.

I dont know if another cabinet on the other side to try to balance that wall would work, but if you paint the cabinet a neutral color, change the mesh, leave the fireplace white, and another matching cabinet, it might make the fireplace more of the focal it should be, and you wont have to find another room, since this looks set up with lovely, comfortable furniture.

Another thing you mentioned is all the gold.

A trick a decorator taught me is you have to balance a room with warm AND cool colors. If your walls were painted a gray/blue, the gold furniture would pop.

I really like warm colors, but I found I had the same problem, that the room was too bland. My artwork that I just loved, kind of blended in with the walls, and really lost focus. When I learned this concept, it completely changed the look of the room. I usually paint the walls the cool color, and add pillows and maybe a rug with some cooler tones, and have the furniture in the warmer tones.
April 29, 2013 at 10:37PM   
smdrovetto
OR, you could remove the cabinet, unless it is needed for surround sound, and put the TV above the fireplace, which I usually don't like, but it would open up the room...................................
April 29, 2013 at 10:41PM   
Angelina Vick
I think the stark white is killing the room. It may be a little heavy on the side of the cabinet for the tv...but if you paint the cabinet and the fireplace? It would change everything.

I also think the idea of add blues to this room would liven it up from it's monochromatic state. Different shades of blue! Not just one shade. ;) Keep some of your red items for contrast.
April 29, 2013 at 10:53PM   
jg011011
Please send updated pictures on the finished project, and good luck :-)
April 30, 2013 at 3:54AM     
bumpkus
Thanks again to all of you for the great suggestions. From your input, I think I will start by painting the cabinet & changing mesh fronts. Also will be shopping for a new area rug and painting the walls a cooler color. That's the great thing about paint - it can always be changed - for a lot less than major renovations. If that doesn't work I will take out the cabinet & then figure out what's next! Thank you!!
April 30, 2013 at 5:44PM     
Tania D
I actually really like your paint colour!
April 30, 2013 at 8:05PM   
bumpkus
But I'm stuck on what color to paint it...
May 1, 2013 at 7:46AM   
Tania D
What about a pretty cream colour?
May 1, 2013 at 7:51AM   
Tania D
Or, take a look and see what colours the mesh comes in. It would be nice to have it blend in with the paint colour.
May 1, 2013 at 4:01PM   
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Need help choosing nightstands
I have an gorgeous full size antique oak bed in the...
Shelf Brackets
I'm staining a refinishing this wood pictured here...
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Need help with entry door color and shutters on a white cape cod house
I would love to do either black shutters and a brilliant...