Are the counters marble or a Caesar Stone type material?
sschmidt70April 22, 2013
H
Urrutia Design
The counters are white carrera marble.
--Jason Urrutia/Urrutia Design
    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:31PM
jmaurry
Where did you source the marble? I have been all over the Bay Area (Da Vinci, IRG, many in the east bay) and have yet to find the right slab. I"m looking for a smaller slab for just an island. Also, I'm torn between marble on my island with young kids (boys), vs caesarstone. My island is a grayish/brown. What are your thoughts on marble for families?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:11AM
Urrutia Design
We always use marble, granite, concrete or wood for counters. White Carrera Marble is a favorite of ours. If you're looking for something slightly different try Calacutta or Thasos.
--Jason Urrutia/Urrutia Design
    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:48AM
Granite Grannies
@jmaurry, White Carrara tends to have a fairly consistent look. Most granite companies in an area are buying their slabs from the same suppliers, so you should go directly to distributors to choose a slab. Like Urrutia said, marble is a great material for counters, you just have to know that there is more of a chance that you many get a nick or small discoloration here and there over the years, which certainly seems worth it to me. If you don't go marble, I would encourage you to look at quartzites instead of man made materials (which can never really replicated natural stone). Quartzite is a natural, quarried stone like marble or granite. It tends to look like marble, but is harder than granite. Two of the more popular quartzites are White Macaubas Quartzite and Super White Quartzite (aka White Fantasy Quartzite). White Macaubas can have a Carrara-esqe look.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 11:15AM
jmaurry
Thanks very much!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 3:41PM
jmaurry
Granite Grannies and Urrutia- where are the granite "distributors" in my area? I live in San Carlos, near Da Vinci marble which I seem to frequent on an all to regular basis. I have not found any granites that are white enough. And most of the white Carreras are very gray, it's hard to find those "soft" ones that aren't too gray. Are there any other places off the beaten path that have good slabs?
    Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 9:20PM
Granite Grannies
@jmaurry Since we're on the east coast, I don't know what suppliers/ distributors are near you. You should try finding a fabricator (installer) you trust, and ask them to send you to all their suppliers. Sometimes it can be hard to find the suppliers because they only market themselves to fabricators.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 9:22AM
jmaurry
Thanks- I thought one of you was on the West Coast. Will do!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 9:48AM
Transition from marble to Caesar stone on back splash
Backsplash on stove wall will be carrera marble subway...
mezamis
marble, granite or caesar stone?
We are gutting our master bath. We have chosen white...
Missy Simons
How much does Caesar Stone cost per square foot?
Thinking of counter to application
Cynthia Celenza
Ideas for an unusual window seat in the master bedroom
We are updating our master bedroom by adding some more...
pauline39
What color curtain looks better?
I'm confused on what color curtain to keep.
rosem55
How to set up an office in a small, multi-level loft?
I'd like to set up an office space in the loft area,...
Johanna Pfalz
I need help
I would to appreciate who can give what is the suitable...
pity30002000
I need help
pity30002000