Alternatives to drywall?
hhh35
April 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We need to add insulation into our little son's bedroom, which will involve removing the existing drywall. Only thing holding us back is the fact that we'd need to install new drywall, and along with it, mud and sand it. The idea of generating fine dust is really not appealing. Do we just suck it up and do it (and vacuum and wipe down the dust best we can?) Or do you have ideas for an alternative to drywall?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
drywall has the best fire hold out theres lots of woods and paneling but thet dont have the fire hold out i say drywall what if you did blow in between the studs you would have lots of holes to fix but might be a solution
April 22, 2013 at 8:31pm   
hhh35
I was told by a contractor that it's not a good idea to blow in between the studs if there is already insulation. What we've got is very old (40 yrs old) fiberglass batts that are worn and probably flimsy. So maybe it won't matter? (In another room in the house, the contractor thought we were getting an R3 at most from the existing fiberglass insulation).
April 22, 2013 at 8:49pm   
PRO
Rockin' Fine Finish
Yeah was unaware of you have sone insulation so then tear it down and do new drywall
April 22, 2013 at 8:51pm   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Depending on where you live, old style plastering is still an option. Much less dust though just as messy. You can also do a couple of things to control the dust. A plastic sheeting zipper door at the entry will help as will a vacuum system for sanding the drywall. Some rental yards have the Porter-Cable electric drywall sander with the automatic vacuum hook up. Hope this helps!
April 22, 2013 at 8:58pm     
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
You are going to create more dust removing the drywall and adding insulation then you will with the new drywall. Old drywall dust and insulation particulate is more of a annoyance then the new. Contain this entire area during the renovation. Move out all furniture and completely cover the carpet / floor. Open windows and point fans to the outside.
April 22, 2013 at 10:10pm   
libradesigneye
The zipper door is two sheets of plastic duct taped to the frame - one is open to right, one to left, so you have to work through both to get in and out. You don't have to overlap them the full width of door, and if you guys leave your work shoes in the room, use the window for disposal, your house will come through fine. Touchy when you have a little guy - you could do ceiling and attic and new window first - those are probably even more leaky.
April 22, 2013 at 10:48pm   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
libradesigneye! We use real zippers now! Look at zipwall accessories for self-adhesive zippers. Duct tape a single layer of heavy plastic sheeting (6mil) to the door trim. Peel the paper from the sticky side of the zipper and then adhere it to the plastic sheeting. Open the zipper and cut the plastic sheeting with a utility knife. Voila! door done..walk inside and zip it up!
April 22, 2013 at 11:04pm   
libradesigneye
Love that - figured they would need the basic version but why not do it right!
April 22, 2013 at 11:20pm   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Zipper costs less than $15 and really cuts down on dust and frustration!
April 22, 2013 at 11:43pm     
PRO
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
If the house if 40 years old have it checked for lead based paint before you start removing drywall.
April 23, 2013 at 5:44am     
hhh35
Thanks everyone. You guys are awesome!
April 23, 2013 at 12:19pm     
More Discussions
Inexpensive Art Framing
I am setting up a vacation rental (airbnb.com) and...
Large Typography Wall Decor
Anyone have suggestions on DIY or affordable options...
Wall colour and fireplace tile ?
I want to change the colour of my walls as well I need...
Describe Scandinavian style in one word!
Scandi might be the darling look of 2014, it's BIG....
Need help hanging art work
I have some artwork that needs to be hung in my living...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™