Kitchen floors
tapelian
Hi. I am going to remodel my kitchen but want to know about flooring. Should I install flooring, then place appliances and cabinets on it or do I put the appliances and cabinets in and add flooring up to the edges of the cabinets?
minemine
Put the flooring in first, but make sure the floor is well protected when you have the cabinets installed and the appliances brought in.
April 22, 2013 at 9:09pm     
gkemp
I have sold cabinets for over 20 years. The cabinets should go in first. If the flooring is installed first, it makes the practice of leveling the cabinets more difficult. Also, during installation, pushing and dragging of cabinets as well as dropped tools etc will definitely damage your new floor. Most cabinet installers will double their cost for installing over finished flooring. Appliances come in toward the end but, must be selected in the beginning of the process.
April 22, 2013 at 9:40pm   
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
I disagree with gkemp and agree with minemine. Flooring first. Its my experience and opinion that chances of damage to cabinets and appliances is increased if flooring is installed after cabinet install. Any good contractor will protect the floor with hardboard or equivalent and shimming and leveling of the cabinets is no harder or easier prior or post floor installation
April 22, 2013 at 9:55pm   
Nancy Walton
When I had my kitchen installed, the flooring went in first, with hardibacker installed under where the cabinets would be and levelled with the tile flooring. The edges of the tile were under the edge of the cabinets, giving the appearance of being continuous, fewer cuts were needed, the dishwasher fit into the space perfectly, and the only floor that had to be finished was under the refrigerator (I had a cooktop and built in ovens).
April 22, 2013 at 10:07pm     
Barbra Bright Design
Hi tapelian, I've had the floors installed before and after the cabinets were installed. If the cabinets are installed first, the floors need to be protected.

Depending on the installer, the flooring may, or may not go under the cabinets. If the floors do not--the cabinets are shimmed to the level of the new flooring. Either way, the flooring must go under the appliances, otherwise the appliances will be difficult to remove if they need to be serviced, or replaced.
April 22, 2013 at 10:09pm   
karen paul interiors
Floor always goes in first.
April 22, 2013 at 10:09pm     
Ironwood Builders
For us it depends on the flooring. Sand in place hardwood...first. Tile...build up cabinet areas with 3/4" ply and tile goes after (see my post on kitchen order of operations http://www.houzz.com/discussions/448640/Kitchen-remodel--order-of-the-sub-tasks-) Engineered wood floors, cork, vinyl...last but before appliances
April 22, 2013 at 11:32pm     
Ed
Like Ironwood said, my kitchen's new hardwood floor (sand in place) went in first.
April 23, 2013 at 5:52am   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
If you are installing a slide in range the flooring has to go in first, especially if you are using 3 cm granite as the slide in ranges are designed for a countertop that finishes at 36", most can't be adjusted much lower.
April 23, 2013 at 5:56am   
karen paul interiors
Ironwood, thanks for the clarification. Went back and noticed she said flooring, not hardwood!
April 23, 2013 at 5:57am   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Installing the flooring first is also a good idea if you have a concrete slab as a subfloor. I have seen moisture from the ground transfer through the slab, then wick up into the cabinets like a sponge.
April 23, 2013 at 6:00am   
tapelian
Thank you for all your helpful comments. I am considering using bamboo wood for the floor. I do have concrete slab underneath my existing tile. Sounds like the majority feels I should install the floor first. I will discuss with my contractor and cabinet guy..I hope they agree!
April 23, 2013 at 7:11am   
liven up my entryway
Any suggestions to make the entryway more inviting...
Single or Double Handel Faucet?
I have a small bathroom vanity area...36 inches. I...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
Looking for feedback on toe kick heaters...
My contractor is not a fan, but my options are limited...we...
My house is too dark
We bought a beautiful Victorian in the country we're...