Need help on flooring!
logans
After too many nightmarish moves, we have decided to purchase a small house for our 2 boys to live in while attending college. All the houses we saw in our budget needed a lot of work! We now to our surprise, are building a small house that should go up quickly. A lot of decisions to make in a short amount of time. Since these are college boys I don't think carpet is the best choice for the main rooms of the house. The carpet is inexpensive so there won't be much of a credit towards something else. It will have to do in the bedrooms for now. I have been trying to read up on the different types of flooring but I am still confused. We don't want to overprice it but we need something durable. I like the look of wood but not sure which to use, solid(expensive), engineered or laminate. What kind of wood? If I tile it will it look like a bathroom? Too hard, too cold? Maybe a drain in the center of the room with a faucet and hose! LOL, no they are not messy boys but there may be another roommate and I am sure they will have friends over etc. It may eventually become a rental depending on the market when they finish school. If you know anything about flooring please let me know what you think.
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Your sure they'll have friends over? You absolutely sure? College boys having friends over? You sure? Lol! Anyway, leave it subfloor plywood. Call it finished. Go with laminate flooring. Inexpensive and it won't make you cringe when you decide to remove it and put something nice in the place when you decide to rent it.
April 22, 2013 at 10:19pm     
Cindy Quinton
I bet they entertain an occasional guest...you are wise to plan for that....that deserves an old fashioned ROTFLMAO! They make a wood look vinyl tile that is not awful (quite the endorsement!), cheap and virtually indestructible, as a real estate agent, I see a lot of it in things that are rented or meant to be. It seems to me that the durable and decent looking laminates are almost as expensive as real wood floors, often even more.
April 22, 2013 at 10:34pm   
Vinyl floor wood look planks - armstrong makes some really good stuff you can't tell is vinyl. Consider gray washed wood tones for a cool mod look - also can see the dirt a bit easier / more likely to clean it than the wood look that is dirt colored.
April 22, 2013 at 10:45pm   
llmblonde
Two years ago we replaced our carpet in the living room and dining room with engineered hard wood. It's thick enough to resurface it one time. We love it and everyone who comes into our home loves it. Should have done it years ago.
April 22, 2013 at 11:27pm   
Ed
Logans, congrats on your new small house. If your two boys (and your potential future tenants) can take good care of the place, I'd go with hardwood floor. Otherwise, engineered or laminate.
April 23, 2013 at 5:55am   
schurer
I agree on the hardwood. First, lots of options can be as expensive. If you choose a cheap laminate , you WILL have to replace it to sell the house. More expense. Hardwood will only get more expensive over the years. If you buy it now, you will have a real investment in the house. It can be refinished in the future, and it will really add to the resale value of your home!

Or, as Yabro Home suggested, just leave the plywood subfloor for the college years, then put something in. We have the plywood subfloor painted gray in our workshop, which I am now turning into an overflow barracks for guests. It is perfeclty ok for a barracks--or for college males.
April 23, 2013 at 6:42am   
logans
Thanks everyone for responding! Each of you made a good point but I sort of ended up with a tie, 2 for hardwood & 2 for vinyl. Before I posted this question we looked at some of the different flooring and of course we all liked the hardwood the best. My boys were all over it " oh yeah that one definitely looks the best"! Did I mention they liked the dark ones? Uh huh! We don't have wood in our house now, we have stone, tile and carpet. We had it in our last house but they were little guys then. My husband & I just didn't know if we should make the investment (there is not any hardwood in the other houses yet) or if it would survive college life. So today I decided to do a tiebreaker & I explained to my boys about the scratches, dents & water damage that could occur but with a little bit of tlc it would be a beautiful floor! They looked at each other with that look of~ wait you mean we will have to take care of it~ and said vinyl or tile would be juuust fine! A perfect aha moment! I am wondering though, could vinyl work as a subfloor under hardwood or would it need to be taken up? Depending on its condition of course!
April 23, 2013 at 10:13pm     
Linda
Depending on your part of the country, tile can be a very practical floor covering. It is quite popular in our area with the Hispanic community, although not as common with others. However, it can be rather cold, so probably not a good choice for a northern climate.

I would go for cheap floor coverings and then spend some money on decent area rugs to warm up the space.
April 23, 2013 at 10:38pm   
Ed
Logans, for them to learn to appreciate the nice hardwood floor and for them to *want* to take good care of it... you may have to wait a few more years when they can afford to pay for their own hardwood floor. :)
April 24, 2013 at 5:01am   
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
May 15, 2013 at 2:00am   
Help! I need to replace floor, but need to match with cabinets
I need to replace current vinyl floor! We have oakish...
Need help with what wood color flooring I need in My Oak Kitchen
I have Oak Cupboards that I don't want to change. ...
Need help. I need to chose a type of floor urgently
Hi, I would like to have a few suggestion regarding...
need help transitioning from parquet floor to another floor
Hi I am redoing kitchen and taking out old flooring...
Back Porch Decor? What do you think?
I am trying to spiff up the back porch and would love...
Help with decorating
My living room still seems to be missing something....
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
"Need opinions on kitchen"
I am getting mixed reviews from friends and family...
New bathroom resized from 5'-0"x 8-0" to 5'-0"x 10-0"- what to do?
How would you make use of the extra 2 feet? It is going...