NEED HELP DECIDING ON SIDEWALK/LANDSCAPING

belltheileApril 23, 2013
I really want to do a pebble path but not sure how it will look, ideas welcome!
Matthew Craig Interiors
What a beautiful home! If it were my home I would do a flagstone walkway. It will pick up on the grey house color and would look beautiful! You could make the path straight or let it meander up t the front door.
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:35AM
belltheile
Thanks you, Matthew. The cost is probably not in our budget at the moment but we will see.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:42AM
belltheile
We also need a new roof, any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well!!!
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:43AM
Matthew Craig Interiors
If you really like the look of a pebble path I would suggest that you do a heavily exposed aggregate as loose pebble paths can be really messy, in my opinion.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:43AM
belltheile
Is the first photo with the woman, loose pebble? Cannot enlarge it? Yes, we realize they it can be messy but we use the back entrance way most of the time from our garage.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:46AM
Matthew Craig Interiors
I like the color of the roof shingles as they are so I wouldn't stray from that. I would go for a high dimension shingle.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:47AM
Matthew Craig Interiors
The picture of the driveway is aggregate..construction aggregate is a mixture of crushed and chopped materials, usually stones of various densities. A great way to use aggregate is to give the appearance of loose rocks in the construction of a walkway. The process of laying an aggregate walkway combines a top layer of aggregate for aesthetic purposes and a hidden under layer of cement for strength and foundation. You can use any style of aggregate to create a wide variety of looks on your path.

Read more: How to Pour an Aggregate Walkway | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7621410_pour-aggregate-walkway.html#ixzz2RJWawfTs
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:50AM
Although these two versions are larger than your entry, I think you could use single brackets or posts under your eyebrow porch roof. Add large lanterns to each side and paint the door a wow color - aqua, orange, lime green; something hot that pops against the charcoal! I would remove the flower box from above and put them on all the downstairs windows filled with flowers and trailing greenery. If you do brackets for the porch you could do a version of these for the boxes, and I might like them painted charcoal. Power wash the walk for now and stain it with concrete stain. Install semi-circle beds on each side of the steps up from the street and a circle bed around the tree. Use the local nurseryman's expertise to choose appropriate plantings for your area. Groom and feed all the boxwoods you already have.
Skating Pond House Exterior · More Info

Graceful Gambrel · More Info

Traditional Perennial · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:13PM
Matthew Craig Interiors
I like the idea of staining the concrete walkway!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:16PM
Ann
I think your current path looks great.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:17PM
Ann
If it's in good shape and you just want something a little different, the staining concrete idea is great!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:19PM
offdutyhandyman
Decorative concrete over existing concrete.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:40PM
Victor
you could do a stamped concrete walkway which would look nice and it has a variety of patterns..
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:44PM
mimy
I think it would look nice with some more plantings, and they dont have to be pricey. Something to mirror the boxwood at the front door, maybe posts by the road/rails up first steps and roses/something romantic if you are looking for something softer. Lions if you want to go formal ;) I don't think pebbles will look great on the existing path, it is much more informal and like the first aggregate photo, should be lined with shrubs to pop out.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:53PM
mousemaker
a new roof will probably have to be first and will be worth every dime. I agree about the flagstone..it looks great in the photos..plantings are always changeable depending on what you like. there are so many possibilities. if you look through Houzz for front lawns i'm sure you will find some ideas too.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:06PM
One Step Travertine
Your home looks very pleasant and warm. I would recommend the use of our travertine in this application. There are various types of applications that would give you an excellent feel as anyone approaches your home. We can provide you with various types of cobbles, pavers, and/or flagstone. Please take a look at these photos and you will admire the beauty of our stone in various applications. Of course not only would you be getting a wonderful stone, but our stone will not discolor, fade, oxidize, heat up, and fail like most concrete and/or natural stone products in the industry. If you are looking for durability with a soft look, think of One Step travertine!! Contact us if you have any further questions. Good luck
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:26PM
Pine Hall Brick Company
More ideas...
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:39PM
mousemaker
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_CZpPHQSDhJaF6DZr9EpANuOcbb6MvdwCnAOsWnVqTjjieQZ7
I have no idea if this will work, but you might want to think about this too.
    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:56PM
Creative Garden Spaces
My two cents ;-) The first photo is a Bluestone path with polished black pebbles on the riser. The second is a Belgard Arbel Paver walkway. Both of these can be overlaid on to your existing walkway.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 2:23PM
Fine Art Tileworks — Handmade Relief Tile
Don't use loose pebbles if you use a string trimmer...broken windows...& teeth ;-(=
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 5:55PM
mousemaker
Fine Art Tileworks!! I just knew there was someone else on here who thought of that stuff besides moi :) I usually get scoffed at :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 12:45PM
nasmijati
I have loose pea gravel for a parking area. Gravel "travels" and needs to be swept off the City street back into the parking area every week. The trash collection day is the worst. Every three or four years, enough gravel has become impacted into the soil that water puddles form, so it is necessary to add one ton of new gravel (about a pick-up trick load) to level out the low places.

I have washed aggregate pea gravel on the front walk. DO NOT EVER use any kind of product to melt snow. It will eat right through the walk. The walk will continue to deteriorate as water puddles in the depressions. Also, it is pretty much impossible to shovel snow from washed aggregate. I always have to use a broom afterward. If anyone has walked on the path, their footprints smash the snow between all the little pebbles and even the broom cannot sweep them up - forward, backward, side-to side, oblique, punching the broom straws into the footprint. Change to whisk broom. Nope.

The thing is, I LIKE both of these places, but are a lot of work.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 1:12PM
shelleyuk
Don't do it. You would need some sort of edging to contain the gravel and then unless you take up the current slabs you will have a problem when you get to the step. If you do remove the slab to put down the gravel you will have a problem with weeds etc growing through.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 1:20PM
Pine Hall Brick Company
I concur...I have pea gravel everywhere. I hold my breath when I mow. How about some "held-in-place" pebbles?
Ideabook: My Home Outdoors Ideas · See Ideabook
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 1:50PM
hazeldazel
You know, to me it just looks like your current walkway just needs a good power washing and edging. Add some additional perennials and it would look soooo much better! Save your money for a really good roof.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 1:59PM
jhperree
I would do cobble.
Stamped concrete stained like cobble might be cheaper.
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:13PM
patricia1971
I love small stone gravel and use is for paths in my garden, but don't think it will work well with your walkway. It will get messy and perhaps awkward with the steps. Cedar shingles would look perfect with your style home. I think it's just a lovely looking house. Perhaps a little landscaping along the sides of your path (mini boxwood?) would give you the look your looking for.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:54PM
Jayme H.
When I owned a large 4 square home, we poured an exposed aggregate sidewalk...with stain in the mix...a reddish color...looked wonderful...There are also stains u can use on existing concrete.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:01PM
momof5x
I say keep the present pathway and concentrate on the roof first.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:12PM
sacapuntaslapioz
stain the walkway grey. get the roof in a lighter grey or a red. you could even do a super green white roof
    Bookmark   January 30, 2015 at 10:29AM
Need help deciding a landscape design
We have a small backyard and our designer suggested...
creativehomed
Need help deciding on paver type and pattern for my patio
I am trying to decide what kind of paver stone (rustic,...
sj_resident
Need help with ugly exterior and landscaping.
We bought this house 2 years ago and have been chipping...
emma713
How should I landscape the sidewalk in my front yard?
I just got a new sidewalk built. I have only begun...
cutout
Wondering if my paver sidewalk was done correctly
I had a landscaper do a paver sidewalk last year. ...
Adam Johnson
Help!! Need advice finishing my dinning room!!
Hello everyone. I am currently trying to furnish my...
jenstotes
Starting Over-need advice
We got rid of all our living room furniture and are...
haley82
What color couches go best?
Hello I just moved into our new build home and I am...
serenaks7
Tiling 1200 sqft condo with 12x24 porcelain tile
Tiling 1200 sqft condo with 12x24 porcelain tile throughout...
Jay Street
What would you put in your moat?
We know no one is likely to actually have a moat, but...