What materials would I need to do this type of design in my backyard?
alinka118
I'm looking for some affordable ways to re-create the tile design shown in the first picture on my back patio (it's not very large, but it is very bare!). Is this practical and doable in an area that's about 5 by 15 feet? I also plan on adding lemon trees, or a bouganvillea to give it some color, soften things up and make it feel more like an outdoor living room (sort of like the second picture).

Thanks for your suggestions and info!
I think your best bet is to find a tile company that does the same type of tile in different sizes (Villeroy and Boch do some) - but then your next challenge is tiling them outside - it depends where you live, but when I tile outside, sometimes we get salpetre (saltpewter?) seeping up through the tiles which is not pretty. So please check before you do.

I think the idea is beautiful and love it. Also the lemon trees (get orange as well, or a hybrid graft which contains more than one type (lemon, grapefruit etc) or bourgainvillea - beautiful
April 23, 2013 at 1:31PM   
alinka118
Thank you! I've never done anything like this before, so thank you for letting me know what to watch out for. I live by the beach...sounds like something that would be a problem...any other input would be greatly appreciated.
April 23, 2013 at 1:33PM   
Inevitably you will have to talk to a tiler, but look around your area and see how tiling has fared on other people's patios - that way you can see what has been done and what has worked (also a great excuse to go for walks on the beach!!!)
April 23, 2013 at 1:48PM   
Creative Garden Spaces
Natural stone comes in a variety of colors. Not sure what part of the country you live in but, this (top photo) is Bluestone and Variegated Blustone. It can be cut into the sizes you need and for the square intersections you could use a porcelain or metal tile...something you really like. The second photo is just an example of what can be done with different materials. I think this pattern would be really great on your little patio.
April 23, 2013 at 2:17PM     
Ironwood Builders
Alinka, perhaps changing the scale and using an exterior stone around 1 1/2" thick set in a sand bed...same pattern. You would need to have some pieces cut for the matching pattern, but the shift of size and material will provide a definite dividing line from indoors to out.
April 23, 2013 at 2:36PM   
leelee
If your patio is concrete there are companies that can paint a pattern on the concrete for quite amazing results
April 23, 2013 at 2:39PM   
alinka118
@Creative Garden Space: Thank you! that's very helpful, and I see what you mean about the pattern and materials in the second picture, I think that's what I'm looking for

@Ironwood Builders: Thank you, I also thought about the option of putting the stone in a sand bed, and having the white portion of the pattern be either small stones or sand. The problem is that I have a lot of debris falling from trees around the back of the property...I'd need to sweep a lot and i feel like the sand in between the tiles may be messy...thanks for the suggestion though, it's definitely one option I may consider again.

As for the painted concrete suggestion, I thought of that too :) certainly would be cheaper, probably...I wonder if it fades with time, though?

Thanks for everyone's input!
April 23, 2013 at 9:30PM   
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
I would keep the same pattern to continue outside. Just take a couple of good photos and go to a good tile shop and tell them you want to re-create that pattern with exterior tile. They will have a lot to show you.
April 23, 2013 at 10:04PM   
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
Tile isn't that expensive and it is not a large area, see about the tile first.
April 23, 2013 at 10:05PM   
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
If your existing concrete patio is in good shape, you could score in the tile lines and stain the coordinating areas to mimic the look and with a good sealer it shouldn't fade. Painting if done properly and sealed could also work, but if you don't properly prep the surface, you will most likely get peeling and fading. The other option would be to use a stencil and have a concrete overlay placed over your existing structure. There again you could either stain, or integrally mix the colors wanted for each "tile" space to achieve this look, and best part is no grout lines or joints to worry about. A good pro in your area should be able to discuss these options with you and present you with a quote free of charge. Should be very comparable to price of installing tiles, maybe even more affordable.
April 24, 2013 at 6:23PM     
How to arrange my new living room
We just bought home. However this is the living room...
Kids area in office space
Hi everyone! I am expanding my office space and would...
Gluing or nailing hardwood floors.
We want to put solid nail down tiger wood 5" planks...
Top Dentist Lakeway
http://www.lakewaysmiles.com/ One of the best-rated...
Wedding photos?
After 4 years of procrastinating, I'm about to select/order...